BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-04-2008, 05:51 PM   #1
one-35
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Press your Voice Command/Dial Button (with no Blue Tooth/BMW Assist)...

Does your car audio speaker activate and ask you to speak a command??? Mine does.

...and I DO NOT have the BMW Assist/Blue Tooth option (nor do I have premium pkg or IDrive nav).

Strange, but BMW must have forgot to disable my steering wheel voice command button.

Now on the bright side... does this mean a BMW dealer or some independent shop might be able to install an aftermarket Blue Tooth, so my steering wheel and BMW commands/car audio can pair with my cell. phone? ...without BMW Assist.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

mine does the same. I would love to assign those buttons to a different frunction.

BavAuto has an aftermarket Bluetooth module that works with the steering wheel controls (as long as you don't have nav or Logic7 apparently).
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #3
pcb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

my car is also doing the same. my options are no different than yours. i would love if it was able to be installed later on down the line.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
gio
Captain
Rep
Drives:

That is really odd. I don't have premium package, nav package, bluetooth, or BMW assist and my voice command button does nothing.

Try looking in your truck in the compartment behind the battery. There are spots for two computers. One is for the satellite radio and one is for bluetooth and/or navigation. Do you have anything there?
      09-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #5
one-35
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post
That is really odd. I don't have premium package, nav package, bluetooth, or BMW assist and my voice command button does nothing.

Try looking in your truck in the compartment behind the battery. There are spots for two computers. One is for the satellite radio and one is for bluetooth and/or navigation. Do you have anything there?
My trunk does not contain the BT unit. My dealer showed me the connector (in the trunk near battery) where it goes.

Nordique 14: Does the BavAuto aftermarket unit require a complicated install or additional wiring? ...or is it a simple 'plug-and-play'? If the unit is <=$250 (incl. install), I'd order one.

I see www.bavauto.com has the aftermarket BT (modified Parrot CK3000) for $480. IMO, too expensive... I'll stick to the BT integrated into my GARMIN NUVI GPS... it's actually very good. I just thought it would be nice to use the steering wheel button. For those of you considering aftermarket BT, the one at bavauto is 'plug-and-play'.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Crowley
Major
Rep
Drives:

It is a bit more than that .. wonder why the kit doesn't work w/ logic7 ??

This plug 'n' play kit lets you use your bluetooth-enabled cell phone for hands-free calling in your BMW using the phone buttons on your multi-function steering wheel! With bluetooth, you can make voice-command calls without ever taking the phone out of your pocket, as long as it is turned on. A great safety upgrade! And with so many states passing new laws about using cell phones while driving, it’s only a matter of time before it’ll be a requirement everywhere. The problem with Bluetooth has been that retrofitting your car has been a technical headache. You had to buy a conversion kit, and a speaker, and electrical connectors, and figure out how to cut into the wiring harness and fuse box, and splice into the radio to mute it when you’re on the phone... way too complicated. (And if you cut the wrong wire, way too expensive!) We have a solution. This Bluetooth conversion kit takes the highly-regarded Parrot CK3000 Bluetooth system and makes it plug ‘n’ play using your BMW’s factory phone hook-up and phone or stereo speakers. Just locate the phone connectors, plug them into the kit, mount the control box under the dash and turn the ignition key. The system quickly pairs with your phone and you’re done! No splicing, no cursing, no screwdriver-throwing. Auto-mute turns the stereo volume down when you place or receive a call. Small microphone included. Please note: Not For Vehicles With Navigation, iDrive, Or Logic 7
Part Number Description Price Qty. BT AE903 Plain-Talk Bluetooth Kit with Steering Wheel Function
$479.95

The last words on the powerplant should go to a clearly overwhelmed Hormazd Sorabjee, editor and publisher of Autocar India: “There is something simply magical about BMW’s in-line six. It has a creamy smoothness that makes velvet feel like sandpaper.”
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 03:53 PM   #7
Red135
La Flama Blanca
Rep
Drives: 1-series

Good tip. Mine works as well.
      09-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #8
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gio View Post

I have a unit mounted in there with a bluetooth symbol on the back, what does this mean? my car doesn't have BMW assist so what is this thing? thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #9
thurst0509
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Mine asks for command. I also have a unit with a bluetooth symbol in the trunk.

Would love to know if there's a way to make bluetooth work! BMW Assist is the one option I'm regretting not purchasing...
      09-26-2008, 04:59 PM   #10
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I am thinking maybe the car is set up for phone and we only need to get the antenna, microphone, speaker and then have it programmed?
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2008, 04:57 PM   #11
Sacramento135i
Registered
Rep
Drives:

For vehicles that DO have Nav option but did not initially opt for the BT integration, can this OEM BT device then be purchased from the dealer to go in to one of the trunk spots after purchase? It wasn't clear from the literature. BTW, I also have the Iphone/Ipod USB port if that matters. BT option would hopefully be used to Iphone already plugged in to car.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
I am thinking maybe the car is set up for phone and we only need to get the antenna, microphone, speaker and then have it programmed?
Unfortunately, not quite. I have been looking into this recently. It looks like you will need: TCU ($425), roof switch ($275), possibly a microphone ($???) and a few screws. Then, there is a chance you have to get the TCU programmed at the dealer (1-2 hours @ $100/hr). The antennas and speaker look like they are already installed.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #13
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-35 View Post
Does your car audio speaker activate and ask you to speak a command??? Mine does.
Have you guys actually tried USING this? My voice command WORKS. I have Nav/I-Drive, but no BT or Premium package. I just spent my lunch hour playing around with it, and I can change audio sources, enter Nav addresses, etc. No phone access obviously, but everything else.

Am I missing something? Is this SUPPOSED to work? I can't believe I've had this car three months and I'm just finding this out. I am psyched.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #14
pit1
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

I pushed that button by accident on delivery day. I was stoked, thinking that they slipped in the BT module by accident in production. I also have the box hardware in the trunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbyv View Post
Unfortunately, not quite. I have been looking into this recently. It looks like you will need: TCU ($425), roof switch ($275), possibly a microphone ($???) and a few screws. Then, there is a chance you have to get the TCU programmed at the dealer (1-2 hours @ $100/hr). The antennas and speaker look like they are already installed.
Do you mind sharing your sources? What's a TCU and roof switch? I'm fairly certain the car is pre-wired and plug-and-play ready, with some expensive and not always necessary programming from the dealer.

I'm sure this would be a popular DIY. Let's dig deeper gents. :thumbup:

Edit: found those answers
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17018

see E90post links
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 01:46 PM   #15
pit1
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Have you guys actually tried USING this? My voice command WORKS. I have Nav/I-Drive, but no BT or Premium package. I just spent my lunch hour playing around with it, and I can change audio sources, enter Nav addresses, etc. No phone access obviously, but everything else.

Am I missing something? Is this SUPPOSED to work? I can't believe I've had this car three months and I'm just finding this out. I am psyched.
Yes, iDrive comes with Voice Command.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 01:59 PM   #16
nobbyv
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pit1 View Post
Do you mind sharing your sources? What's a TCU and roof switch? I'm fairly certain the car is pre-wired and plug-and-play ready, with some expensive and not always necessary programming from the dealer.

I'm sure this would be a popular DIY. Let's dig deeper gents. :thumbup:

A coworker has a 135i w/ BT, so I have spent a number of hours crawling through both of our trunks comparing things. I have also dug through the info in the links posted in this thread on e90.com and exchanged a number of emails with Evan at Tischer BMW.

The TCU is the Telematics Control Unit, and is what actually controls the BT. It is not present in non-BT equipped cars. It is a silver box with three white stickers on it. The box UNDERNEATH where the TCU would go is for the Nav (I believe). It has a BT symbol, but is NOT the TCU and does not give you any BT functionality.

The roof switch is actually just the plastic panel where the buttons are for the sunroof, etc. There is an EXTRA button in the BT cars that is for activating an SOS call to BMW Assist, so a different roof switch panel. It MAY be possible to get away with not using this expensive piece if you are not interested in Assist.

As far as programming: I have heard conflicting answers. Some say the newest TCU's are plug-and-play, some say they need to be activated by the dealer.

Further update: I BELIEVE the mic that works for Voice Command is the same as the mic for Bluetooth, so an additional mic may not be necessary if you have I-DRive and therefore Voice Command.

If Evan at Tischer will allow me to return it if it does not work or requires a lot of extra parts, I will try ordering the TCU and seeing what happens when I plug it in.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #17
pit1
Captain
Rep

Thanks Nobbyv... please keep us updated.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
Jerry@LETMotorsports
Private
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
A coworker has a 135i w/ BT, so I have spent a number of hours crawling through both of our trunks comparing things. I have also dug through the info in the links posted in this thread on e90.com and exchanged a number of emails with Evan at Tischer BMW.

The TCU is the Telematics Control Unit, and is what actually controls the BT. It is not present in non-BT equipped cars. It is a silver box with three white stickers on it. The box UNDERNEATH where the TCU would go is for the Nav (I believe). It has a BT symbol, but is NOT the TCU and does not give you any BT functionality.

The roof switch is actually just the plastic panel where the buttons are for the sunroof, etc. There is an EXTRA button in the BT cars that is for activating an SOS call to BMW Assist, so a different roof switch panel. It MAY be possible to get away with not using this expensive piece if you are not interested in Assist.

As far as programming: I have heard conflicting answers. Some say the newest TCU's are plug-and-play, some say they need to be activated by the dealer.

Further update: I BELIEVE the mic that works for Voice Command is the same as the mic for Bluetooth, so an additional mic may not be necessary if you have I-DRive and therefore Voice Command.

If Evan at Tischer will allow me to return it if it does not work or requires a lot of extra parts, I will try ordering the TCU and seeing what happens when I plug it in.

I have access to dealership equipment. I'll see what I can find in there.

LET Motorsports Stage II Software Flash | RissRacing Catless DP's | Code3 / Spearco Intercooler | AFE Dual Cone Intake | RissRacing Catch Can | Clutch Delay Valve | RissRacing O2 Sim
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2008, 08:40 PM   #19
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

so wait nobbyv are you going to try this, I am very curious, I have the voice thingy start talking to me but I am not sure about having the mic, do you have idrive/nav and thus the mic? if these newer ones are plug and play I'll be on it very fast
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 08:28 AM   #20
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry@LETMotorsports View Post
I have access to dealership equipment. I'll see what I can find in there.
If so then this could be a nice project for you: the USB/iPod 6FL option is also a Bluetooth module (MULF2-High). That is the module under the TCU: http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...0&d=1218571951

Hardware-wise it is missing the BT antenna/cable and the microphone; software-wise it is not enabled/activated in the USA.

For those that would like to have OEM Bluetooth but did not opt for the Assist and have the 6FL option this could be a nice "activation" if the programming can be done for the USA.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 08:30 AM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by One-35 View Post

...and I DO NOT have the BMW Assist/Blue Tooth option (nor do I have premium pkg or IDrive nav).

Strange, but BMW must have forgot to disable my steering wheel voice command button.

Now on the bright side... does this mean a BMW dealer or some independent shop might be able to install an aftermarket Blue Tooth, so my steering wheel and BMW commands/car audio can pair with my cell. phone? ...without BMW Assist.
I bet that you have the USB/iPod 6FL option...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2008, 02:36 PM   #22
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

^^^^ yes info on this would be helpful!
Appreciate 0