BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

07-03-2008, 11:19 AM   #1
floridiot
Private
Rep
Drives:

USB power on 24/7? Draining the battery?

I don't think the USB port ever turns off, the iPod is always charging or using the power from the USB connection. Do you think this will drain the battery if left on for too long without driving? I got in my car this morning and ALL of my settings were erased. Radio presets gone, radio tuned to random static station, the vent was on (I never use the vent). The on board computer was reset to show nothing. Should I have to disconnect the iPod every time I turn the car off? Or is there a setting to kill power to USB/Cigarette lighter adapter?
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
mastermav
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 F82

Car has logic to disconnect battery after 10 min or so if it detects significant power usage. It normally happens when someone forgot to turn off lights, etc.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 12:55 PM   #3
backtoreality15
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridiot View Post
I don't think the USB port ever turns off, the iPod is always charging or using the power from the USB connection. Do you think this will drain the battery if left on for too long without driving? I got in my car this morning and ALL of my settings were erased. Radio presets gone, radio tuned to random static station, the vent was on (I never use the vent). The on board computer was reset to show nothing. Should I have to disconnect the iPod every time I turn the car off? Or is there a setting to kill power to USB/Cigarette lighter adapter?
The OBC getting reset is not normal amongst everything else... Explain the situation to your dealer, maybe its a battery/electrical problem.
      07-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #4
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
The car started right? That rules out the battery completely.

The USB could be on for years (maybe decades) and it wouldn't kill the battery. The Cigarette lighters don't stay powered when the engine is turned off.

Just a question. Did you switch key fobs? A lot of that stuff you're talking about is tied to the personal settings that are based on which key fob you're using. I did the same thing when I first got the car.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 01:48 PM   #5
floridiot
Private
Rep
Drives:

Haha, oh yeah that's right. I did switch key fobs. I didn't even think about it. Sorry about that, false alarm!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #6
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Haha, oh yeah that's right. I did switch key fobs. I didn't even think about it. Sorry about that, false alarm!

You aren't the first one to do that. (I was)

It's kind of shocking that it changes so much stuff. I mean, the fan speed?

If you notice, it even changes all the equalizer and tone settings!
Appreciate 0