BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

06-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i Convertible (AW/CR)

About iPod shuffle setting

I drove 400 miles yesterday with the iPod on all-songs-random through the radio. I could turn the car off and back on and it would retain that setting (I find it always retains the settings when it stays docked in the car).

Just now I brought the iPod into the house to put in my Bose speaker-dock while I make dinner. The iPod continued playing the song that was on when it was in the 1er. But the song after was the next song on the album - it went into album playing mode, not random.

Just a data point for the curious.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
john970
1er
Rep
Drives: 08 135

What's for dinner?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 07:57 PM   #3
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Mine drops out of random every time I start the car. Do I need to set the iPod for random before I plug it in or something?
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #4
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

I haven't needed to set anything on the iPod itself to do random, just plug it in and set up random through the radio, first picking an artist or an album, or the whole darned thing. Never had a problem with it remembering after power cycling the car.

Dinner was a salad. I needed it, WiiFit told me I got fat since last week.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
I haven't needed to set anything on the iPod itself to do random, just plug it in and set up random through the radio, first picking an artist or an album, or the whole darned thing. Never had a problem with it remembering after power cycling the car.

Dinner was a salad. I needed it, WiiFit told me I got fat since last week.

amy!

Which IPod are you using?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #6
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Which IPod are you using?
5th Gen 60GB iPod. All the latest software updates for it.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #7
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amybang View Post
5th Gen 60GB iPod. All the latest software updates for it.

amy!
Thanks. I'm not sure what's going on with mine.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 06:30 PM   #8
woodman650
Super Couper
United_States
Rep
Drives: TBD

I can't even find an option to shuffle on the idrive system (or are you refering to the shuffle setting directly on the ipod?). I was hoping to have a shuffle mode directly through idrive to switch things up on the go.

Also... anyone know if there is a way to see a song title on top of the navigation screen while you're using navigation? It's a silly question maybe, but I hate having to listen 10-15 seconds into a song before I know what it is and changing it since there is not title displayed.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #9
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Sorry, I should have clarified. I don't have navigation, just the standard radio with the iPod/USB option. I see song titles on the radio display (when not wearing my polarized sunglasses - natch) and shuffle or "RND" is an option controlled by one of the radio preset buttons.

amy!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #10
KeithLM
Proud 1er
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Crimson/Coral 135i

jeremy, I was having problems with mine when I didn't actually have it in playlist mode on the headunit. I only have a few playlists on my nano, and when I put it in the car I could tell it was on my favorite one. That's because the nano was playing that playlist since it was the last selected on there. But random would never stick when I shut off the car. However once I navigated using the headunit and selected the playlist by scrolling to it then pushing in the knob, the check mark next to list appeared on the headunit and random has stayed on since then. This is without nav.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2008, 10:27 PM   #11
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithLM View Post
jeremy, I was having problems with mine when I didn't actually have it in playlist mode on the headunit. I only have a few playlists on my nano, and when I put it in the car I could tell it was on my favorite one. That's because the nano was playing that playlist since it was the last selected on there. But random would never stick when I shut off the car. However once I navigated using the headunit and selected the playlist by scrolling to it then pushing in the knob, the check mark next to list appeared on the headunit and random has stayed on since then. This is without nav.

I've been setting the random with the head unit, and it always goes off when I turned the car off.

So...the other day I turned random on and pressed the memory set button that retains all the seat and mirror memory while it was in random mode, and now it seems to be staying that way. I've been out of town since I did this, so I'm not sure that cured the issue, but it seemed to.

I think if you swap key fobs you'll find that some radio settings change with the driver's settings, and this was causing the issue. I'll be back home Saturday afternoon (and rid of this damn Hyundia rental that requires a key!) and I'll put it to the test a few more times.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2008, 06:52 AM   #12
amybang
... and Orca too!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
I'll be back home Saturday afternoon (and rid of this damn Hyundia rental that requires a key!)
I just got back from a work trip where I had a Hyundai. Every time I had to turn the car on or off, I reached for a start/stop button. And driving it around the L.A. freeways, it clearly wasn't my 1er. No pick up at all.

amy!
Appreciate 0