XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-15-2022, 05:45 PM   #1
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35D

Wrong DEF error message, help!!

I have a 2013 x5 35d.

So I got the incorrect DEF in the tank error code and with it the no start after so many miles. I cannot figure out what is causing the code. I have relaxed both pre and post nox sensors. The egr cooler, spring was broken. The differential pressure sensor. Did the drive cycle to get rid of the code but nothing has changed. What else could be the problem? Anybody fix the issues and can share how. Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 08:56 PM   #2
crystalworks
Captain
Rep
Drives: Many BMW's

You need ISTA-D to run through the SCR test. Only way to tell you what is failing the drive cycle test. Most likely cause is NOX sensors if yours are original... but there are a litany of other possible causes.

BTW, did you reset a 4D16 error code to get you into this predicament? That's usually how this comes about.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2022, 10:17 PM   #3
lamaro88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 35D

I have already replaced both pre and post nox sensors and that did not fix the problem. Would any other software work to figure out the problem? At my work we have a very expensive scantool that allows to test different systems individually and even lets me unlock certain functions of the car. Do you think I might be able to diagnose with that or no?

I did not try to reset anything, I was driving to San Diego and on the freeway the message popped up randomly.
Appreciate 0