BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

10-09-2021, 04:37 PM   #1
entdoc
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 750

Unhappy Switch from BMW to Mercedes

Hi all. I apologize for the long rant. I just need to vent until the scotch kicks in.

In February, I traded my BMW 750 for a new Mercedes S560. I'd had an S550 previously and wanted to try the BMW. I really enjoyed the 750 (in my mind, the cars are quite comparable) - but ultimately decided to go back to Mercedes.

One thing I can say is that the BMW customer service and attention to customer satisfaction were exemplary.

Well my 7 month old S560 lost all of its advanced safety functions (active brake assist, pre-braking, etc.), apparently due to a malfunctioning multifunction camera.

The problem is that Mercedes does not have the part worldwide, nor will they have it for several months (if not longer, because there is no actual timeframe).

Every time I start the car, I need to clear 4 error messages. More importantly, I lack the added safety features that I paid almost $4000 for.

Even though their own website states that these features help to avoid front end collisions, and reduce the risk of injury in the event of such a collision, Mercedes has taken the approach that the car is still driveable because the brakes are functional, and that it is simply my responsibility to drive safely.

In my mind this is tantamount to saying that I can drive without seatbelts because it's my responsibility to avoid a collision. As if anyone ever intends on being involved in an accident.

To be clear, one can buy a vehicle without these safety aids; but I did not, nor would I.

Now I understand that every sector has experienced supply chain challenges due to the pandemic and chip shortages, but Mercedes response to the problem has been mind boggling, particularly considering the cost of this new vehicle.

From the dealership to the corporate offices, they have been rude and dismissive. Nothing even remotely close to an apology for my inconvenience. My own salesperson didn't even reply to my text when I messaged him initially with the problem.

They don't even seem to be in a rush to fix the problem. They advise that, when the part arrives in Germany, it will take another 2 weeks to arrive in Canada. I can only assume that they are unwilling to pay for expedited shipping.

I haven't even asked for any form of compensation for the $4000 option that I'll be without for a good portion of my ownership term. I really just want a car that's as safe (a relative term, I understand) as the one I paid for.

I've suggested a number of options (I recognize none are great) including taking the part from one of the many used cars on the lot, buying the part from the used aftermarket, or giving me use of an e-class loaner. But they are taking nothing more than a 'sucks to be you' approach.

I also realize that this is a 'rich guy problem' and, in many respects, I'm embarrassed to complain about it. But I'm just shocked at how bad the customer service is and how bad it would be for even their most inexpensive vehicle.

In any case, I look forward to my next BMW in 2 or 3 years.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2021, 09:28 PM   #2
Lawguy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 Tesla Model S

My experience with the MB brand was also a bit surprising with customer service. Had an e63 and a GL450 in our garage at one point and replaced both with a BMW and an Audi. I was unimpressed as well.

And just cause it’s a first world problem doesn’t make it any less frustrating.
Appreciate 2
KK22137.50
nathanm4684.50
      10-10-2021, 01:41 AM   #3
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 740d Xdrive M Sport

Sorry to hear of your problems, it is not what you expect from a premium brand. Have you put all this in writing to both the dealer and MB, as the route I would be taking is to reject the vehicle, as it does not conform to the purchased specification. You need to get the dealer and MB to confirm that they cannot fix within a reasonable timeframe to start the process. However, given the semiconductor shortage, and Covid, they may play the Force Majeure card, ie out of their control. I would still do this though, as there are things they can do to ease your pain.

We had a problem with a company Ford, which had a similar supply issue with a door handle cable, no lead time, so after a little conversation with the MD of Ford in the UK he told the dealer to cannibalise a showroom vehicle and wait for the part on that. Our car was then fixed immediately. You may need to write to MB in Germany to get them to instruct your dealer/MB in Canada how to resolve, which may include giving you a comparable car until your part arrives. It is not right that you have to clear messages relating to safety equipment failure each time you drive.
      10-10-2021, 04:06 AM   #4
LuckyW
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d M Sport

There are many beautiful cars, but if you taste a BMW, no one else will taste the same ...
As for me, maybe someday I will not be able to afford the new 7 series but it will definitely be a next BMW
Appreciate 1
Al Pinã1839.50
      10-10-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
entdoc
Rep

This is the written reply from the Mercedes Customer Service Supervisor:

"After further review, the operation of your vehicle is safe while the part (camera) is on order. The camera is responsible for additional systems such as active brake assist. During this period this system will not be active. Active brake assist is an additional aid equipped in the vehicle. Referencing the owner's manual "Your vehicle is equipped with driving systems which assist you in driving, parking, and maneuvering the vehicle. The driving systems are aids and do not relieve you of your responsibility pertaining to road traffic law. Pay attention to the traffic conditions at all times and intervene when necessary. Be aware of the limitations regarding the safe use of these systems. Always pay careful attention to the traffic situation; do not rely on Active Break Assist alone. Active Brake Assist is only an aid. The driver is responsible for maintaining a suitable distance to the vehicle in front, vehicle speed and for braking in a good time."

We can confirm that the position communicated to you by MB Downtown is accurate and correct. Regardless of the additional aid, the driver is responsible for the operation of the vehicle. This documentation states that as the operator of the vehicle you are solely responsible for its safe operation & the additional aid does not affect your risk of collision/injury. If your vehicle was not safe to drive, it would not be returned to you. We hope that this response provides you with further understanding."
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 09:40 AM   #6
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
That is an outrageously tone-deaf response from Mercedes service. You are absolutely right to be upset. I would escalate. This is from a "supervisor" and you need somebody with better judgment and more power. Start with the head of MB Canada. If you are a member of the Mercedes club, you can also try to get them involved. Persevere, and good luck.

Meanwhile, my 750 lease is up next year and every time I think about Mercedes I also think about my wife's '20 E-Class wagon, which has electronics that are incredibly unfriendly and unituitive. My wife prefers wagons but BMW has chosen to forgo that market in the US in favor of SUVs ("SAVs").

p.s., it is surprising that the dealership did not offer a loaner. That decision may have come from the well known Sales Prevention Department.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2021, 03:38 PM   #7
Shantosh Seewooruttun
Private
Rep
Drives: Sleek

Quote:
Originally Posted by entdoc View Post
This is the written reply from the Mercedes Customer Service Supervisor:

"After further review, the operation of your vehicle is safe while the part (camera) is on order. The camera is responsible for additional systems such as active brake assist. During this period this system will not be active. Active brake assist is an additional aid equipped in the vehicle. Referencing the owner's manual "Your vehicle is equipped with driving systems which assist you in driving, parking, and maneuvering the vehicle. The driving systems are aids and do not relieve you of your responsibility pertaining to road traffic law. Pay attention to the traffic conditions at all times and intervene when necessary. Be aware of the limitations regarding the safe use of these systems. Always pay careful attention to the traffic situation; do not rely on Active Break Assist alone. Active Brake Assist is only an aid. The driver is responsible for maintaining a suitable distance to the vehicle in front, vehicle speed and for braking in a good time."

We can confirm that the position communicated to you by MB Downtown is accurate and correct. Regardless of the additional aid, the driver is responsible for the operation of the vehicle. This documentation states that as the operator of the vehicle you are solely responsible for its safe operation & the additional aid does not affect your risk of collision/injury. If your vehicle was not safe to drive, it would not be returned to you. We hope that this response provides you with further understanding."
WTF?
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 12:05 PM   #8
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

Not sure if you did but if you have pushed the "its not safe angle" to try and get a positive move from them, then they have pushed back using that against you, as it is safe and legal.

It's not great as you want the car with all the features you have paid for, I'd have pushed that angle more myself rather than the safety angle as they can hide behind the wording in regards to the use of these systems, they'd have less of a chance of arguing that you have the car you paid for...which of course you don't.

Although with the current issues regarding components across the world it's always going to be an up hill struggle to get the customer service we're used to.
      10-11-2021, 12:53 PM   #9
entdoc
Rep

It's not really an 'angle' - it's my primary concern.

I drive a lot of highway miles in a heavily congested city where aggressive drivers are consistently cutting you off - and it's a big, heavy car that I doubt stops as quickly as a Honda Civic.

Mercedes doesn't seem to care.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 02:53 PM   #10
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think I would be playing on the safety aspect too.

This is after all their flagship product, its only 7 months old, and due to a manufacturing/material defect you are having to bypass four error messages each time you drive.

I appreciate that they have said it is ok to drive, however, what position would your insurance company take in the event of an incident, where the car is carrying such a defect and they discover that you are bypassing these error messages.

I would be writing to Ola Källenius, who is the head of Mercedes in Germany, and setting out the issue, the concerns you have, the response you have received from Customer Services, and that you are both unhappy and feel unsafe in their flagship product. I normally find a little top down focus gets the right outcome.
      10-11-2021, 03:15 PM   #11
entdoc
Rep

Thanks for the advice but I wouldn't even have the slightest idea how to reach them.

I sent a letter to the president and CEO of Mercedes Canada (Eva Wiese) through customer service, which they apparently refuse to forward. It would appear that senior management has completely insulated themselves from consumers (perhaps for good reason).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2021, 03:48 PM   #12
Markr
First Lieutenant
Rep

Try LinkedIn - may need Premium though, which you can get free for 30 days. I find it very useful for CEO/board level contact. Most are delighted to help.
      10-11-2021, 04:02 PM   #13
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

There is no point pushing a safety issue in a car that is perfectly safe, it's a strange hill to die on, better to push on the real issue that the car you have isn't the car you have paid for due to the loss of functionality/amenity as that cannot be countered or disputed.
      10-14-2021, 01:55 PM   #14
entdoc
Rep

No luck. Reply from office of CEO in Germany:

"Thank you for your email to our CEO Mr. Källenius

We are very sorry to hear that your experience with Mercedes-Benz has not met your expectations. Due to the fact that the Home Office of each country is responsible for handling its own domestic matters, we have forwarded your correspondence to Mercedes-Benz Canada. My colleagues are in the best position to investigate this matter.

If this is a duplicate correspondence, you will only be notified by Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. if there is a change in the determination previously provided to you.

Thank you for your understanding for this procedure. Once again we appreciate the time taken to write and express your concerns to Mr. Källenius and wish you all the best."
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:30 PM   #15
AlteBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 760ix; '23 X3; '23 MB wgn

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by entdoc View Post
No luck. Reply from office of CEO in Germany:

"Thank you for your email to our CEO Mr. Källenius

We are very sorry to hear that your experience with Mercedes-Benz has not met your expectations. Due to the fact that the Home Office of each country is responsible for handling its own domestic matters, we have forwarded your correspondence to Mercedes-Benz Canada. My colleagues are in the best position to investigate this matter.

If this is a duplicate correspondence, you will only be notified by Mercedes-Benz Canada Inc. if there is a change in the determination previously provided to you.

Thank you for your understanding for this procedure. Once again we appreciate the time taken to write and express your concerns to Mr. Källenius and wish you all the best."
Wow. In other words, "F ___ off". From Mercedes-Benz Mother Ship, kicking the can to MB Canada. What are the odds they will exercise some common sense? I cannot believe they would leave an S class customer with such a bad taste in his mouth.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #16
KK22
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Audi A8 L 60 TFSI Quattro

I was at the MB dealer this weekend to test drive the new S and they had nothing, no car, no demo and even the new C is being pushed out due to a "worldwide inventory shortage". The dude told me to search Autotrader for available cars, since he could not get one in his showroom.

Its boom time for sellers and if they are not losing a sale I don't think they care about your plight as much as they should. Even BMW repairs are held up (a month in my case ) due to lack of parts, but at least the approach and attitude was much more apologetic and prompt.

I would try the local higher ups, head of marketing etc. that might be empathetic to your plight.
      10-14-2021, 04:04 PM   #17
LogicalApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 530xe

Garage List
2020 BMW 530xe  [0.00]
Does Canada have lemon laws?

Here in the US you could force Mercedes to buy the car back and then decide how you want to proceed. As that’s a pretty poor showing by Mercedes.

As a former Mercedes owner I found them to be a notch above BMW on customer service, but that’s another story.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2021, 05:37 AM   #18
entdoc
Rep

No lemon laws in Canada.

What I find most shocking is that, in response to the sole email from Mercedes Canada Customer Service (posted above), I asked that the issue be escalated. They did not even have the courtesy to reply to that email.

Mercedes Germany bounced it back to Mercedes Canada. Again, no reply.

And I left another message for my salesperson (I thought he should at least know how unhappy I am with the whole Mercedes experience, particularly given that he has reached out to me on a couple of occasions over the summer trying to sell me an AMG GT convertible). No reply.

I think I'm a pretty reasonable person. My correspondence is always polite, even if expressing my dissatisfaction. But even if we are at an impasse regarding the issue at hand, this is the most rude and dismissive customer-care attitude I've ever experienced.

I am completely done with MB.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 04:27 PM   #19
g11hoonigan
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 740i

I can understand your disappointment, I've been thru similar case in the past. Every dealership is different, some will work with you and some won't, and that's regardless whether they're selling luxury cars or bang-around ones. I'd probably wouldn't write off MB altogether, but it'll make sense to switch to a different brand if there's only one MB around your area.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #20
entdoc
Rep

It's not the dealership (although they're far from great). Mercedes Canada (and international) have simply said that this is my 'tough luck' and won't even escalate the claim at my request. One reply then nothing else.
Appreciate 0