Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #1
CubicMeters
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Adequate XPEL thickness/quality?

I just posted in the regional forums in case anyone had experience with the different shops specifically, but this is really a general question.

The two quotes were wildly different ($10k+ for full car vs $3k) and I'm thinking this is in part because it's a different quality or thickness of the XPEL. Both shops were found via XPEL's site. So the question is, does anyone have any rules of thumb for the adequate "level" of PPF? If the expensive shop confirmed they used a higher thickness I still wouldn't know how to judge whether or not it was "worth it."

For background, I'm willing to pay up for better protection but there's no way I pay 10k to do a full car. Car is 2017 M3 and will be outside mostly and daily driven. Paint is currently in great condition with very few minor blemishes.

Any wisdom or PPF experiences appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
N1rve
Racecar Driver
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Garage List
2019 BMW M4  [9.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicMeters View Post
I just posted in the regional forums in case anyone had experience with the different shops specifically, but this is really a general question.

The two quotes were wildly different ($10k+ for full car vs $3k) and I'm thinking this is in part because it's a different quality or thickness of the XPEL. Both shops were found via XPEL's site. So the question is, does anyone have any rules of thumb for the adequate "level" of PPF? If the expensive shop confirmed they used a higher thickness I still wouldn't know how to judge whether or not it was "worth it."

For background, I'm willing to pay up for better protection but there's no way I pay 10k to do a full car. Car is 2017 M3 and will be outside mostly and daily driven. Paint is currently in great condition with very few minor blemishes.

Any wisdom or PPF experiences appreciated!
In the past, all PPFs were roughly the same thickness which is like 8mils thick, but recently there are thicker ones like 14mils. I have 8mils and I would have to say it's not thick enough. I have Llumar Platinum/Suntek Ultra (same thing), and it's punctured in many areas. I have it on my entire car and there's small cuts everywhere, there are some areas which have a dent so I am not sure if my front bumper have small dents or if it's film only.

I would say thicker film is useful since I have punctures on 8 mils. The difference might be a custom cut/disassemble vs a machine/pattern cut.

Made a huge thread on PPF:

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1616332

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
Appreciate 1
PhatLyfe985.00
      05-03-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
CubicMeters
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Thanks for the reply, I'll look at your thread.

By way of update, I got a chance to speak with the other shop. His quote was a bit confusing, the "full car" quote from him was the XPEL ceramic coating, so their pricing was actually much closer than I had thought.
Appreciate 0