GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

04-23-2020, 09:14 AM   #1
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 G82 Comp

Are these two products safe for my car?

Hi guys, a couple of products were recommended to me by a local detailer. I have an f80 zcp with the 666m wheels for reference. He recommended Sonax wheel cleaner (I just want to make sure this wont mess up anything on or behind the wheels), and Aero cosmetics wash wax all to use on the exterior after washing the car.

So my questions are 1) are these products safe for the car and 2) would you recommend something else instead?

Have a great day and thanks much!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 09:20 AM   #2
9M71
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 | 6MT

No experience with #2, but Sonax wheel cleaner (#1) is one of the best wheel cleaners for your car. Works effectively and really eats that brake dust well. That being said, just read the instructions. Don't apply it directly in the sun. Dont let it dry. Dont spray it on a hot wheel either. Other than this, enjoy!

Additionally, while sonax works great, it is a bit pricey. I ended up switching to Adams wheel cleaner with equal results (and cheaper in bulk): https://amzn.to/2S18Hw2
Appreciate 1
Der_Wolf888.00
      04-23-2020, 10:45 AM   #3
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
Hi guys, a couple of products were recommended to me by a local detailer. I have an f80 zcp with the 666m wheels for reference. He recommended Sonax wheel cleaner (I just want to make sure this wont mess up anything on or behind the wheels), and Aero cosmetics wash wax all to use on the exterior after washing the car.

So my questions are 1) are these products safe for the car and 2) would you recommend something else instead?

Have a great day and thanks much!
I use the Aero wash wash detailer after you wash the car.. it a great product.. you will be satisfied. I have a AW car and look fantastic.

There are so many wheel cleaners these days, these cleaners only take off brake dust, you still need scrub for grease and dirt. i don't use any cleaners, i had my wheels ceramic coated and i just hose them off.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 11:22 AM   #4
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

No issues with Sonax on 437M wheels after multiple washes but I personally had better results with Iron X when testing them side by side
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:05 PM   #5
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post
I use the Aero wash wash detailer after you wash the car.. it a great product.. you will be satisfied. I have a AW car and look fantastic.

There are so many wheel cleaners these days, these cleaners only take off brake dust, you still need scrub for grease and dirt. i don't use any cleaners, i had my wheels ceramic coated and i just hose them off.
Cool, thanks a lot for the help. I am not very adept at proper detailing. What do you use to scrub the grease and dirt off? Just soap/water and a bristle scrub a la for the dishes?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:07 PM   #6
Der_Wolf
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
No issues with Sonax on 437M wheels after multiple washes but I personally had better results with Iron X when testing them side by side
Very cool. Never heard of Iron X so I will give that a look also. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 12:36 PM   #7
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Endless amounts of detailing videos on YouTube from high end and respected detailers. Just do a search and you'll find plenty of wheel cleaning and coating DIYs
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2020, 02:52 PM   #8
ChuMpion3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3 DCT (x2)

Used sonax 666 wheels without issue (so far). Don’t let it dry though
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #9
PhatLyfe
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 AW/SO ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der_Wolf View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatLyfe View Post

Cool, thanks a lot for the help. I am not very adept at proper detailing. What do you use to scrub the grease and dirt off? Just soap/water and a bristle scrub a la for the dishes?
Wash the car with the 2 bucket method and keep two sponges or mittens. Don't use the same for wheels and body of car. I prefer the two bucket method, some people use the power washer and foam cannon, I don't I think they are a waste. Good luck and enjoy your ride.
Appreciate 0