ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-03-2020, 03:41 PM   #1
Coolerman
Registered
Rep
Drives: Toyota Tacoma & FJ Cruiser

So I am looking for a Z4MR

It seems like I am mostly seeing 06 models for sale in the 60-80K mile range. I am trying to balance my bargain hunting with knowing that you often get what you pay for. I am thinking I should be able to land a decent one with 80-100K miles for around 15-16K.

There is an Imola red 08 locally with 109K miles that is beautiful in person. I just worry about the miles and lack of maintenance history. The sense I got from the dealer was they arent willing to move off the price.

If I am willing to travel there is an 06 with 83K for 1K less. The 06 appears to have after market wheels and possibly exhaust from the pictures as the exhaust tips look chrome. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not.

I guess like anything you have to go see them and drive them to be sure, but if anyone has any thoughts on what to look for let me know. I tend to over think my decisions so feel free to add to my paralysis by analysis.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:48 PM   #2
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

As an original owner, I'm not in a position to offer advice on what worked for me. However... I'm in the Rochester area and am happy to do a little show n tell of my Z4MR. If you are still looking once the weather breaks (it's burried/blocked in) post some way to contact you or PM when you have sufficient posts.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 09:12 AM   #3
Emmrbee
Retired
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M Roadster

There a several lower mileage E85 Ms for sale on Carfax worth looking at. You'll probably have to travel to get one.

The usual things to watch out for:
Vanos inspection for bolts and oil pump disc problems
Timing chain guide inspection
Valve lifters adjustment interval (last done, next due)
Underbody plastics damaged (belly pan, fender corners, and lip)
Roof motor condition

Good luck and hope you find the right M for you
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 09:22 AM   #4
Coolerman
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
As an original owner, I'm not in a position to offer advice on what worked for me. However... I'm in the Rochester area and am happy to do a little show n tell of my Z4MR. If you are still looking once the weather breaks (it's burried/blocked in) post some way to contact you or PM when you have sufficient posts.
Thanks for the offer. I am still trying to sort out how this forum works but maybe pm me if that's an option. 😃
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 09:27 AM   #5
Coolerman
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolerman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
Thanks for the offer. I am still trying to sort out how this forum works but maybe pm me if that's an option. 😃
I just got off the phone with the dealer that has the 06 with 83K on the dial. They just did the brakes and rotors and thinks they did an oil change. He says it's in excellent condition.

I am probably gonna have to go see it before Monday though because he says another buyer is planning on coming coming from out of state on Monday. It does have an aftermarket exhaust and wheels.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 10:25 AM   #6
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Here's a chart of recent auction results at BaT. Note that this includes both Z3M & Z4M models..

https://bringatrailer.com/bmw/m-roadster/

One just sold the other day that seems to fit your criteria for $16,750...

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...-m-roadster-8/

Lots of people surprised at that low price and calling it "stolen". I think the dark sepang interior, aluminum trim + nav held it back a bit - though those things could all be desirable to the right buyer too. Good luck with your search!
      03-06-2020, 06:24 AM   #7
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

You're about spot on on the price. Mine was 89k miles when I bought it 3 years ago, in a desirable color combo (AW/IR) from a BMW dealership. No service history so I was able to beat them down to $17k. The prices on these have dropped even more since then which I find surprising.

I will say though, at this mileage, you'd want to bulletproof the S54, which means you need to budget a few thousand. Mine is parked just because of this reason. I also have a small leak coming from the diff.

Even with this, I think it's worth every single dime. The prices are half of what a Coupe would go for, so it makes it a no brainer for me. Very special car to drive.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
      03-06-2020, 07:57 AM   #8
griebel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4M

Garage List
2022 BMW X4  [0.00]
2018 M4  [0.00]
2008 Z4M  [0.00]
Don't forget to ask about the rod bearings. 90% need them done.
Appreciate 0