Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

09-28-2019, 02:26 PM   #1
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

CR Spotless - False PPM Reading

I got a CR Spotless (DIW-20) last month but ran into an issue after 4 washes. I live in Los Angeles which I'd assume means the water isn't terrible but I'm not sure to be honest. The meter has been reading 0 PPM on most start ups or reading 6-19 PPM then coming down to 0 once I've ran some water through. I run the CR Spotless with a bypass and only use it to rinse. My whole wash process is with a 2 GPM pressure washer, and I haven't been rinsing for more than 10 minutes per wash.

Today, I turned it on and it was at 330 PPM and continued to climb. I switched to a 15 degree nozzle on my pressure washer and got it to lower a bit into 320 or so. I kept fiddling but no matter what I did, it wouldn't go below 300 PPM. I decided to move forward with the rinse and I'd go back to the trusted MF towel + QD. I use a leaf blower prior to wipe but there wasn't any water spots despite the high reading. I just wiped off some remaining water.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? I think maybe just the TDS meter is off. How do I remedy it?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 03:05 PM   #2
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by louielouie View Post
I got a CR Spotless (DIW-20) last month but ran into an issue after 4 washes. I live in Los Angeles which I'd assume means the water isn't terrible but I'm not sure to be honest. The meter has been reading 0 PPM on most start ups or reading 6-19 PPM then coming down to 0 once I've ran some water through. I run the CR Spotless with a bypass and only use it to rinse. My whole wash process is with a 2 GPM pressure washer, and I haven't been rinsing for more than 10 minutes per wash.

Today, I turned it on and it was at 330 PPM and continued to climb. I switched to a 15 degree nozzle on my pressure washer and got it to lower a bit into 320 or so. I kept fiddling but no matter what I did, it wouldn't go below 300 PPM. I decided to move forward with the rinse and I'd go back to the trusted MF towel + QD. I use a leaf blower prior to wipe but there wasn't any water spots despite the high reading. I just wiped off some remaining water.

Has anyone else ran into this issue? I think maybe just the TDS meter is off. How do I remedy it?
Buy a water TDS tester (~$10) to verify the TDS meter on the CR-Spotless system. I also have the same CR system as you and I’ve been using it for the past three or so years. I’ve never seen a TDS value above 15 ppm with a 2 GPM pressure washer and we have extremely hard water where I live. I’ve had to replace the resin cartridges twice so far.
Appreciate 1
      09-29-2019, 10:34 PM   #3
louielouie
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
Buy a water TDS tester (~$10) to verify the TDS meter on the CR-Spotless system. I also have the same CR system as you and I’ve been using it for the past three or so years. I’ve never seen a TDS value above 15 ppm with a 2 GPM pressure washer and we have extremely hard water where I live. I’ve had to replace the resin cartridges twice so far.
Resolved the issue. I use a modification which replaces the cartridges with tubes and using the housing full of resin. One of the tubes popped out.

Thanks though!
Appreciate 0