ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-31-2019, 02:43 PM   #1
CharlieDog
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Help: Replacement Z4 master key works, except in ignition

We got a 2003 2.5i a few weeks ago. It came with one key-the seller said that was all he had gotten when he bought the car. I was quoted $200 for a second key from the dealer, then came across a seller on eBay that sold master keys-$20 for two, they just needed to be cut and programmed to the car.

I got them, found a locksmith to cut them for $10, and programmed one of them per the instructions on this, or the other, forum. Both keys turn in the driver's door and trunk lid. And the key I programmed locks, unlocks, and opens the trunk without a problem using the buttons, so I would guess the vehicle recognizes it.

Unfortunately neither of the new keys will turn in the ignition-even if the steering wheel is not locked. I know how to unlock it if it locks accidentally.

I also noted that if either of the new keys is in the ignition, and I open the driver's door, there is no warning sound like with the original key in the ignition. Seems like the vehicle doesn't recognize that there is a key in the ignition.

I called the locksmith, and he said he can't program the car to the keys, so it looks like I may have to call the dealer next week unless anyone has other ideas.

TIA

Last edited by CharlieDog; 08-31-2019 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: typo
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 07:58 AM   #2
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

You stated the new keys, cut by a locksmith, turn (i.e. rotate the lock cylinders) in the trunk lock and door lock, but do not rotate the lock cylinder in the steering column. That makes no sense.

I may not be 100% familiar with the Z4 key system, but when I bought two (2) new keys from a BMW dealer ($130 ea.) they both worked in the ignition (i.e. turned the lock cylinder and started the engine) before I programmed them to the car. I programmed the keys (i.e. the three buttons) to the car several days later. Maybe there is an RFID chip in the key that has to sync with the ignition to allow the key to rotate the ignition lock cylinder, but I'd say that's a very sophisticated ignition lock. I've reviewed the BMW TIS regarding replacing the ignition lock cylinder and it says nothing about an RFID or other electronic chip type that would indicate a correctly-cut key will not rotate the lock cylinder.

So it sounds like going the inexpensive route by buying keys off of ebay and having a locksmith cut the key doesn't work. I doubt a BMW dealer will try to solve your issue with keys that were not sourced from BMW. I'll guarantee you that if you go to a BMW dealer and tell them the story about buying keys off of ebay and having a locksmith cut them for you, they are going to tell you that you wasted your money. Sounds like you wasted $60. If the BMW dealer decides to take on this problem (or you don't tell them the keys were sourced from ebay) they will charge you several hundreds of dollars to try and diagnose the problem with the ebay keys and end up telling you they are fakes.

I recommend that you go to the BMW dealer, provide your car registration and photo ID and order new keys from BMW.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #3
CharlieDog
Rep
Drives: 2003 Z4

Thanks for the response, but according to my math I'm out $30, not $60.
Appreciate 0