ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-29-2019, 06:37 PM   #1
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
driver side vent - upper screw stripped

So after having my LCM replaced, my vent on the driver's side, which has to be removed to replace the LCM, was buzzing. It was loose, I could wiggle it. I pulled it out and reseated it, but the screw that holds it in at the top, the one in the vent with the little black plastic cap over it, doesn't grip anything on the dash side, it's apparently stripped out (the screw itself is fine). Bottom screw no problemo. But I fear the top will continue to vibrate if not secured.

Any simple suggestion on what to use to hold it in? I was thinking of just dabbing some silicone sealant where the vent screw hole piece meets the dash spot behind it. Wouldn't be so permanent that I couldn't pull the thing out again if necessary, but I think it would hold and should definitely prevent vibrations. Any opinions on if this is the best solution, or other suggestions?
      08-29-2019, 06:56 PM   #2
Steeler
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Built not Bought 04 Z4 VF

https://images.app.goo.gl/Ckb6nk6Fk9a7mEPg7

I believe there should be one of these behind the vent for the screw to fasten to.

If it’s anything like mine, the dash material itself is ripped and the spring nut needs to be silicone in place.
W2A Intercooled Vortech V3Si, custom ducting, Alpha N, 60# Bosch,2.62 pulley, multi port WMI, Severn Tuning(pokeybritches), Tial, magnaflow,SS race muffler, 42 design,3.91LSD, H&R, Hotchkis,ST coils,Konis, Megan camber arms, AKG SS, Nylon mounts, Poly bushings, Carbon interior, CF Aero.APEX
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarton62 View Post
https://images.app.goo.gl/Ckb6nk6Fk9a7mEPg7

I believe there should be one of these behind the vent for the screw to fasten to.

If it’s anything like mine, the dash material itself is ripped and the spring nut needs to be silicone in place.

Bingo. Been here, done this. That little clip comes undone easily, and, poof, it's gone into the abyss.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #4
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Thanks boys! I managed to spot the clip way back near the firewall, and was able to fish it out with a pipe cleaner. Used a bit of adhesive to hold it in place long enough for me to get the vent back in and the screw properly into it. All is well now, and my dash will finally stop buzzing (at least in that spot!).
      09-08-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Thanks boys! I managed to spot the clip way back near the firewall, and was able to fish it out with a pipe cleaner. Used a bit of adhesive to hold it in place long enough for me to get the vent back in and the screw properly into it. All is well now, and my dash will finally stop buzzing (at least in that spot!).

Nice find and fishing!
Appreciate 0