BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-26-2019, 03:10 AM   #1
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Leather seat cleaning

I have f80 no zcp m3 black seats. What is the best way to clean and condition ? How prevent creasing in the leather?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
chatoyer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 m40i

I’ve experimented with a lot of cleaners in my time, and I’ve found that most of them do the job just fine if you stay on top of it (as in, regular wipe downs). My latest regime is Sonax leather care foam every month or so, but very regular (as in several times a week) wipe downs with Adams Interior Detailer. Every few months, I will condition using Poorboy’s Leather Stuff.

I was recently told by a certified (IDA) detailer not to “coat” leather because it needs to breathe. Also, I’ve read that all leathers in modern cars are coated to some extent already, so in one sense you are not really conditioning the actual leather when you apply a conditioner like the one I mention above.

Lastly, don’t be aggressive in cleaning. I took the finish off my F32’s steering wheel once because I was aggressively scrubbing it with a popular leather cleaner. I won’t name them because it was my fault, not the cleaner’s fault!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #3
Taco_Bueno
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM BMW M4 F82

I've been using leather masters products since I first bought my M4 and I can't recommend it enough! I have the full merino black leather interior and occasionally have a small dog in the car and this is about perfect as far as cleaning products are concerned.

Here is a link to the kit on amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01MG...b_b_asin_title

The leather cleaner works very well, it's scent free, and dries quickly.

I use the leather cleaner at least monthly as needed. I use the leather revitalizer and condition every 3-4 times I use the cleaner. It keeps the leather soft and supple. The entire process takes probably 4 hours for all three products including drying time. It does wonders for the creases, especially those on the driver side seat bolster that is notorious for developing creases.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Less is more IMO. I wipe them down with Adam's leather cleaner every few months and that's it.
Appreciate 0