ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

03-29-2019, 10:50 PM   #1
Enchipotlado
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

“It’s made for a very specific group of people.”

He’s talking about us...

Another recent take on the M Coupe from Roads Untraveled. I enjoy seeing these videos turn up every few months. This one is generally favorable but balanced with some fair criticism. Enjoy!

https://www.bmwblog.com/2019/03/28/v...mw-z4-m-coupe/
Appreciate 1
ShawnPaul109.50
      03-30-2019, 12:00 AM   #2
XMetal
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything

Garage List
2008 Z4M Coupe  [10.00]
2018 Audi S3  [0.00]
2004 X5  [8.50]

https://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595900
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 06:41 AM   #3
Enchipotlado
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 M Coupe

My bad. Sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2019, 08:12 AM   #4
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Nicely filmed video however it was pointed out early on that the z4Ms were mad e for 2 years only Not true as we know. Also hope reviewer is wrong about them not becoming desireable classics!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by garz747 View Post
Nicely filmed video however it was pointed out early on that the z4Ms were mad e for 2 years only Not true as we know. Also hope reviewer is wrong about them not becoming desireable classics!
That "review" is loaded with factual errors and misinformation, that's just one example.
      04-01-2019, 10:14 AM   #6
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
That "review" is loaded with factual errors and misinformation, that's just one example.
Damn right. The guy had no idea and did no research. Sounds to me like someone just told him "it's an E46 M3 with 2 seats." Never bothered to look into what makes the Z4 M unique.

7,500 RPM?
Steering and clutch that feels like any other BMW?! *
Not a "light" car?

Whatever his subjective take is on the car, be it right or not, it's tainted by the fact that he did no objective research and it shows, especially to people who actually knows and own these cars.

And speaking as someone who has had extensive seat time behind multiple E46 M3s, driven both on the street and in anger on track, there's nothing even remotely alike between the steering of the Z4 M and the E46 M3. NOTHING. It's a completely different rack with a slightly different design and geometrics up front. The rack was taken from the E36 M3 and similar to the Z3 M coupe, but the ratio is dramatically quickened.

You can tell the guy has zero experience driving a ton of modern BMWs. Case in point.

I let my friend drive my Z4 M Coupe back from Newcomb's Ranch this one time on an early Sunday morning when we went there for b'fast (well, mostly for the drive, but the b'fast was okay). He's driven every manner of BMWs made after 199x, as we both started tracking around the same time and he started instructing long before I did. He DDs 2 F30 BMWs. Upon hitting the first turn on ACH his eyes went to SAUCERS and goes "WTF?!" There's no BMW made in the last 15 years that has anything even remotely resembling what the Z4 M's Servotronic Hydraulic assisted steering feels like. It's quick, immediate, and telepathic. My friend basically said you'll have to completely re-learn how to steer a car because the front end responds instantaneously, and small adjustments make huge difference up front. No more of the turn, wait, set, and imagine what the front end was doing, the Z4 M Coupe requires incredibly smooth and tiny movement of the hand, and it takes little to no time to set turn. Short of the Z3 M chassis, this is the most responsive steering/chassis combo BMW has ever built. EVER.

And oh, did I mention he nearly stalls it pulling away from Newcomb's? The Z4 M has an insanely heavy clutch. SIMILAR to the E46 M3, but anyone claiming that the clutch on the Z4 M is anything like all the other modern BMWs? Um, NO. The clutch on the Z4 M is one of the heaviest clutch I've ever operated on a regular basis. In fact, switching back and forth between the Z4 M and the Corvette C7 Grand Sport, it takes a bit of getting used to. The only thing similar to other BMWs is the take-up point is usually higher than other brand's clutch pedal (the C7 has a take-up just off the floor).

I like Doug Demuro's reviews on YouTube, he's one who actually does a ton of research long before he hops into a car and films. Sure, the video production quality is low, and sometimes I question his assessment on a car's handling prowess, and the fact that he hates Corvettes kinda grates on me (but whatever, before I bought the C7 I wasn't a big fan of Corvettes either). On one of Doug's "more" Doug Demuro videos he talks about how much time he actually spends researching and talking to the owners of the car before he start his review. A 15 minute review takes a couple of hours to film, and a FULL day to prepare for. I think he said he spends up to 4 hours before hand to get to know the car instead of just hopping in and showing the "quirks and features."
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 11:07 AM   #7
garz747
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4MC 01 330i 18 X3 M40i

Fully agreed on most rants except the "incredibly heavy clutch"? Maybe youve got an issue going on? My E46 330i has a no -feel clutch that bites at the last inch of travel but my Z is slightly firm and bites 1/2 way off the floor. I dont find it that heavy at all... I never did the cdv and have the standard clutch stop.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 12:22 PM   #8
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Fully agreed on most rants except the "incredibly heavy clutch"? Maybe youve got an issue going on? My E46 330i has a no -feel clutch that bites at the last inch of travel but my Z is slightly firm and bites 1/2 way off the floor. I dont find it that heavy at all... I never did the cdv and have the standard clutch stop.
Maybe the Corvette's clutch is light? I dunno, my reference points RIGHT NOW is the Z4 M and the C7 Grand Sport.

I do remember when I picked up the Z4 M that the clutch had been heavier than I remembered for my E46 323Ci (my prior manual), and it remained the heaviest clutch I've used since (the clutch was light on the Subaru WRX wagon and the Hyundai Veloster Turbo I had in between). And it is much heavier than what my friend's F30 328i and 340i for sure.

I flush and bleed the clutch every 15,000 miles so I THINK it's well maintained?
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #9
Jsinghzzzz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z4M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
Quote:
Maybe the Corvette's clutch is light? I dunno, my reference points RIGHT NOW is the Z4 M and the C7 Grand Sport.

I do remember when I picked up the Z4 M that the clutch had been heavier than I remembered for my E46 323Ci (my prior manual), and it remained the heaviest clutch I've used since (the clutch was light on the Subaru WRX wagon and the Hyundai Veloster Turbo I had in between). And it is much heavier than what my friend's F30 328i and 340i for sure.

I flush and bleed the clutch every 15,000 miles so I THINK it's well maintained?
Maybe it's time to stop skipping Leg Day 😝
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2019, 06:15 PM   #10
ShawnPaul
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4M Coupe

I don't think the reviewer did the car justice. He liked it, but I think the driving sensations deserved a little more enthusiasm. Maybe it's because he drove that crazy modified z coupe just before with 850hp? I think they filmed those two videos the same day perhaps. If the z4mc is driven second, that might be underwhelming.

I love the colour and wheels of the car in the video.
Appreciate 0