Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

09-25-2018, 09:27 AM   #1
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Recommended Shop in CT/NY

I'm going to be using my 20" ZCP wheels for both winter and summer tires. Does anybody have a recommendation for a reputable shop in CT/NY area that is very good with low profile tires? As I understand, mounting and remounting tires every 6 months can add stress to wheels and tires if not done properly and with modern equipment.

Would the local bmw dealership be a good option?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 09:49 AM   #2
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
I'm going to be using my 20" ZCP wheels for both winter and summer tires. Does anybody have a recommendation for a reputable shop in CT/NY area that is very good with low profile tires? As I understand, mounting and remounting tires every 6 months can add stress to wheels and tires if not done properly and with modern equipment.

I'm sure I am stating what many others here are already thinking but.....why? If you already resigned to having to:

1) go to a shop 2x/yr and wait a few hours for them to do it
2) pay the above cost which is 1-200/yr, esp if mounting and balancing is required
3) having to store 4 tires year-round

Why not get full winter set 18 or 19s? Less likely to bend expensive rim, cheaper and more choice of rubber and you aren't trashing the tire bead each mount/dismount.
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5393.50
      09-25-2018, 09:56 AM   #3
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrro View Post
Quote:

I'm sure I am stating what many others here are already thinking but.....why? If you already resigned to having to:

2) pay the above cost which is 1-200/yr, esp if mounting and balancing is required

Why not get full winter set 18 or 19s? Less likely to bend expensive rim, cheaper and more choice of rubber and you aren't trashing the tire bead each mount/dismount.
I appreciate your thoughts. However, for a lot of reasons that make sense for my use case, I'm keeping the ZCP wheels and switch winter/summer tires.

My question is does anybody know a good shop that regularly works with low pro tires that will do a good and careful job.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 10:09 AM   #4
Ricostrong60
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16' AW f82 11' E92

Autocouture changes my tires and road force balances them
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricostrong60 View Post
Autocouture changes my tires and road force balances them
They're in NJ?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 10:46 AM   #6
zorrro
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorrro View Post
Quote:

I appreciate your thoughts. However, for a lot of reasons that make sense for my use case, I'm keeping the ZCP wheels and switch winter/summer tires.

My question is does anybody know a good shop that regularly works with low pro tires that will do a good and careful job.
Got it. It does look pretty cool though:

Snow + San Marino Blue M4 - one photo https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1466064
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 11:16 AM   #7
MrSmartyPants
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 - 6MT_MW on SO

Lydell Motors in North Haven can do it. He does road force balancing too. He's my go to.

Otherwise one would think any competent BMW dealer can also do it.
      09-25-2018, 03:44 PM   #8
Rid3r
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:

Panache autowerke, they are in CT
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 04:20 PM   #9
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep

Awesome thanks for some of the tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 04:23 PM   #10
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Normally I wouldn't ask an OP a question that has already been asked and answered, however now you've got my curiosity up. I'm with zorrro on this for several reasons: i'm not sure I see how storing tires with wheels is different from storing tires; with a dedicated winter set you can use shorter/narrower wheels with smaller tires there are more effective in snow anyway; 30 series 20" Blizzaks ain't cheap; you can match your wheel changes more closely to the actual weather rather than doing it according to when you can get an appointment to have someone do that for you. I could go on.
So I apologize for appearing to badger you on this subject but I'm just really curious as to your reasons. Care to share?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #11
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Addendum: +1 on Autocouture
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
instarand208.50
      09-25-2018, 04:48 PM   #12
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
Normally I wouldn't ask an OP a question that has already been asked and answered, however now you've got my curiosity up. I'm with zorrro on this for several reasons: i'm not sure I see how storing tires with wheels is different from storing tires; with a dedicated winter set you can use shorter/narrower wheels with smaller tires there are more effective in snow anyway; 30 series 20" Blizzaks ain't cheap; you can match your wheel changes more closely to the actual weather rather than doing it according to when you can get an appointment to have someone do that for you. I could go on.
So I apologize for appearing to badger you on this subject but I'm just really curious as to your reasons. Care to share?
Man, did I really think I could ask a question like this and get away without explaining! Shame on me

(1) My M3 is my fun car. I have two other cars including a company issued SUV that I use in bad weather. I live in southern CT, and snow just isn't a major factor. Over the past few years there's really only been a handful of days throughout the winter where I HAD to take the suv due to active or lingering snow. It's mostly just cold and dry (or wet). Just like my previous 911, this M3 never sees snow. So the snow traction benefits of 19 vs 20 inch wheels doesn't matter to me. I just want a winter tire with proper cold weather compound so I can drive around in freezing but dry conditions knowing my tires were designed for it.

Out of 365 days in a year and there's only like what... 5 or 10 days that active snow or unplowed snow is on the ground AND and I have to go somewhere... It's just too small a percentage for me to make an undesired wheel change. If it was my every day driver.... maybe. Maybe.

(2) I absolutely love the 20" 666 wheels and have no interest in removing them for half the year - especially when there's no real benefit.

(3) Michelin is releasing 285/30/20 and 265/30/20 Alpin PA4's within a few weeks - so I'll have perfectly matching tire sizes.

(4) I have, however, considered purchasing really nice 20's (BBS, or similar) solely for the purpose of being able to swap out the wheels myself. But I always go back to how much I love the 666's and don't want to remove them for 5-6 months. And the wheels I would want are like $3-5k depending on the model. Entirely too much money for a minor convenience.

(5) with the 911, the dealer would swap the tires on my factory wheels in under and hour while I hung in the showroom and worked. One hour twice a year and $100 +/- isn't a factor that would make me spend $3-5k on a wheel and tire package that I don't love.
Appreciate 0