BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #1
shashankj88
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

New driver training

Hello,
I've been doing HPDE's for a few years now but have never done an autocross event. My wife wants to get in the game now and I think that she should start off with an autocross event. However, she needs some instruction on vehicle dynamics, limits, race line..... before she can endanger any track workers. Any suggestions or recommendations for driver education or autocross schools in the Metro detroit MI area? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 02:38 PM   #2
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashankj88 View Post
Hello,
I've been doing HPDE's for a few years now but have never done an autocross event. My wife wants to get in the game now and I think that she should start off with an autocross event. However, she needs some instruction on vehicle dynamics, limits, race line..... before she can endanger any track workers. Any suggestions or recommendations for driver education or autocross schools in the Metro detroit MI area? Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

Check with your regional SCCA. They often hold these types of seminars. Motorsport Reg also allows you to filter on driver's education events. Otherwise, do your research for her first autocross and make sure the club will have classes + in-car instruction. Email the organizers and be upfront.

There are definitely "schools" you can go to, but they're typically not cheap and require you to travel. The only thing I can think of in the Midwest is the intro class that Autobahn Country Club does here outside of Chicago.
      05-21-2018, 03:02 PM   #3
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Hello,
Thanks
In general, BMW CCA is known for holding responsible, non-timed events with instruction. For a beginner, I think it could be a good place to start. ANNNNNND the BMW CCA Motor City Chapter in your area is having an event THIS FRIDAY May 25!!!

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...or-city-023807

As our good buddy Arnold Schwarzenegger would say----"Do it nooooooow!!!" Their next event is in September.

At an event like the ones BMW CCA put on, your experience can be a bit hit-or-miss due to the unknown instructor that you get. But the price is very reasonable.

If you want something fancier that is like a destination event, BMW Performance Driving Schools are excellent. A 1-day M School is really nice. I did that in South Carolina, and I've attended a similar event at the BMW Performance Driving Center in CA too. The instructors at these places are top-notch. It costs way more than a CCA day in your area though (especially factoring in air fare and hotel). But it does make a great gift!
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11490.00
DreamTime864.50
      05-21-2018, 03:36 PM   #4
shashankj88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
In general, BMW CCA is known for holding responsible, non-timed events with instruction. For a beginner, I think it could be a good place to start. ANNNNNND the BMW CCA Motor City Chapter in your area is having an event THIS FRIDAY May 25!!!

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events...or-city-023807

As our good buddy Arnold Schwarzenegger would say----"Do it nooooooow!!!" Their next event is in September.

At an event like the ones BMW CCA put on, your experience can be a bit hit-or-miss due to the unknown instructor that you get. But the price is very reasonable.

If you want something fancier that is like a destination event, BMW Performance Driving Schools are excellent. A 1-day M School is really nice. I did that in South Carolina, and I've attended a similar event at the BMW Performance Driving Center in CA too. The instructors at these places are top-notch. It costs way more than a CCA day in your area though (especially factoring in air fare and hotel). But it does make a great gift!
lol. This BMWCCA Waterford Hills event was the first event that I ever did back in 2013 and spun out on the last session of the day on the start finish straight. I want my wife to know of the dangers of lift off oversteer before she's doing a reverse entry on the start finish straight at an event like this . Which is why autocross. But I guess that great in-class as well as in-car instructor training like a HPDE won't exist at an autocross event.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #5
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
lol. This BMWCCA Waterford Hills event was the first event that I ever did back in 2013 and spun out on the last session of the day on the start finish straight. I want my wife to know of the dangers of lift off oversteer before she's doing a reverse entry on the start finish straight at an event like this . Which is why autocross. But I guess that great in-class as well as in-car instructor training like a HPDE won't exist at an autocross event.
hehe----is there really such a thing as an autocross training event?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #6
shashankj88
Rep

Quote:
hehe----is there really such a thing as an autocross training event?
Well, SCCA in my area had an autocross school in April of 2018. I'm not quite sure what it was as I missed out and there isn't another one that I can see. I was hoping that there'd be like a low speed event (compared to road racing) with an instructor explaining vehicle dynamics. I guess I'll register her for an autocross and then get the next BMWCCA or SEMPCA event at Waterford or Grattan. Throw her to the sharks
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #7
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Well, SCCA in my area had an autocross school in April of 2018. I'm not quite sure what it was as I missed out and there isn't another one that I can see. I was hoping that there'd be like a low speed event (compared to road racing) with an instructor explaining vehicle dynamics. I guess I'll register her for an autocross and then get the next BMWCCA or SEMPCA event at Waterford or Grattan. Throw her to the sharks
At the end of the day, autocross is inexpensive, and the courses are generally not dangerous. And you can do them at any speed. And you're the only one out there. So there's not much risk.....unless......it's done at a place like this, which I HIGHLY recommend that your wife avoids!! hahahaha I mean, c'mon......how many curbs and poles can you put on one autocross course?? And, you risk making her a menace in shopping mall parking lots!! hahahaha

Appreciate 1
      05-22-2018, 09:57 AM   #8
sdarc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: "11 E90

Check with your local SCCA club or any sports car club that holds auto-x. Many will have schools. Some just for women and taught by women. A lot of clubs have what is referred to as a Novice class. I our region this gets you an instructor, specialized course walks and an extra run.

Also check out SCCA Starting line schools. Evolution Performance Driving School is fantastic. They are held throughout North America. Most instructors are national champs or damn near close to being one.
      05-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #9
shashankj88
Rep

Quote:
At the end of the day, autocross is inexpensive, and the courses are generally not dangerous. And you can do them at any speed. And you're the only one out there. So there's not much risk.....unless......it's done at a place like this, which I HIGHLY recommend that your wife avoids!! hahahaha I mean, c'mon......how many curbs and poles can you put on one autocross course?? And, you risk making her a menace in shopping mall parking lots!! hahahaha

Wooow. This looks mental. I wonder who looked at this lot and thought it'd be a good place to try limit handling.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
shashankj88
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdarc View Post
Check with your local SCCA club or any sports car club that holds auto-x. Many will have schools. Some just for women and taught by women. A lot of clubs have what is referred to as a Novice class. I our region this gets you an instructor, specialized course walks and an extra run.

Also check out SCCA Starting line schools. Evolution Performance Driving School is fantastic. They are held throughout North America. Most instructors are national champs or damn near close to being one.
Got it. I signed her up for an SCCA event this Monday. Let's see how it goes. Thanks everyone
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2018, 09:29 AM   #11
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Wooow. This looks mental. I wonder who looked at this lot and thought it'd be a good place to try limit handling.
Yeah we had a big thread about this last month and universally agreed it was a ridiculous location for autocross.
      05-23-2018, 10:49 AM   #12
sdarc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: "11 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Yeah we had a big thread about this last month and universally agreed it was a ridiculous location for autocross.
Wouldn't see me on that course. (Says the guy who has hit a curb auto-crossing) Driver error. Not course. Brain fart.
      05-24-2018, 09:57 PM   #13
radiognome
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E93 M3

I would strongly recommend to sign her up for an AutoX school first. During a competition event she will get 3-6 runs depending on the event type and it's really hard to understand what's going on for a novice. During a school event she will learn a lot about the car and AutoX and it will really help to prepare her for competition events. If you can sign her up for a couple of schools even better. I've seen too many people getting very confused during their first runs, going off course, spinning their cars, and getting their engines shut off and then sitting in the middle of the course, feeling embarrassed and as result never going back. I mean I did all of the above myself multiple times when pushing hard, even spinning two 360 circles in the finish line =) But it's one thing if you are ready for it. And it's very stressful if you are not.

Last edited by radiognome; 05-24-2018 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 2