BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

05-03-2018, 12:38 AM   #1
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Texas tracks?

Wife wants to move there for a better life. Is it only cota there?
      05-03-2018, 01:10 AM   #2
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I still haven’t given up on TWS. There’s also MSR Houston, MSR Cresson, Eagles Canyon Raceway, Harris Hill (would not recommend, too bumpy), Driveway Austin (they don’t allow HPDEs), NOLA (in...NOLA), Hallett in OK. I’m sure there are more local tracks, but I can’t recall them.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 03:12 AM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I have yet to go, but I hear it's pretty cool. I have been looking at Austin in particular.
      05-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #4
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

COTA is a bucket list track but it rates pretty low on my list. MSR Cresson is probably best track now in Texas. TWS was one of best tracks in America. There are several other tracks MSR Houston, Harris hill, eagle canyon, grand sport speedway. Nola and Hallet are close by.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2018, 09:53 AM   #5
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
COTA is a bucket list track but it rates pretty low on my list. MSR Cresson is probably best track now in Texas. TWS was one of best tracks in America. There are several other tracks MSR Houston, Harris hill, eagle canyon, grand sport speedway. Nola and Hallet are close by.
Yeah I guess cota is just bc it's an F1 track. Prob feels like driving a slow ass car lol. My car is slow as is
      05-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Yeah I guess cota is just bc it's an F1 track. Prob feels like driving a slow ass car lol. My car is slow as is
COTA is cool because it’s a $400MM F1 track, but it doesn’t flow well and isn’t as fun as other tracks.

Last edited by SQ13; 05-03-2018 at 04:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 02:12 PM   #7
crzydave17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
This. COTA is a "one and done" track. Cresson is the best track in Texas to me. If you live in North Texas (Dallas area), Hallett is a fantastic track that is worth the drive. Hallett and MSRH are about equidistant from the Dallas area and I'd choose Hallett 90% of the time.

Eagles Canyon is on its way to be a great track from what I hear. A repave and a reconfig will do wonders for that track. It's on a great plot of land but the current config doesn't really take full advantage.

My 2 cent.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 02:39 PM   #8
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep
Drives: Its a M3

Ran eagles canyon for the SCCA TT and it is for sure a better track at the moment and looks like the new owners are trying to make it a great track. Guess time will tell.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 02:48 PM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

COTA track days are really expensive -- $500/day or more.
      05-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crzydave17 View Post
This. COTA is a "one and done" track. Cresson is the best track in Texas to me. If you live in North Texas (Dallas area), Hallett is a fantastic track that is worth the drive. Hallett and MSRH are about equidistant from the Dallas area and I'd choose Hallett 90% of the time.

Eagles Canyon is on its way to be a great track from what I hear. A repave and a reconfig will do wonders for that track. It's on a great plot of land but the current config doesn't really take full advantage.

My 2 cent.
thanks!

how's dallas? I heard it's the LA of Texas. Im looking at different areas. Schools, entertainment, demographics....
      05-03-2018, 06:43 PM   #11
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

Quote:
thanks!

how's dallas? I heard it's the LA of Texas. Im looking at different areas. Schools, entertainment, demographics....
I live north of Dallas Frisco, Prosper area. My commute is 20 miles each way and takes normally 20-30 min to get to work every day and drive home. Not sure what you for a living or the location of your work but I sure would not want to drive into Dallas from where I live. I would try and keep your commute 20-30 miles max. Traffic is very minimal on weekends.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2018, 11:40 PM   #12
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCUSE_M3 View Post
Quote:
thanks!

I live north of Dallas Frisco, Prosper area. My commute is 20 miles each way and takes normally 20-30 min to get to work every day and drive home. Not sure what you for a living or the location of your work but I sure would not want to drive into Dallas from where I live. I would try and keep your commute 20-30 miles max. Traffic is very minimal on weekends.
Was looking at Frisco too. So basically don't drive into Dallas from there?
      05-04-2018, 07:13 AM   #13
crzydave17
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3

Quote:
thanks!

Dallas proper is a bit LA-ish I guess. Have you heard of the saying "Keep Austin Weird"? Dallas has a similar one, "Keep Dallas Pretentious".

There are many surrounding burbs, Frisco and Plano being the popular areas and Prosper is growing quickly with the major companies moving their HQs to Plano. The big one being Toyota.

There is alot of entertainment in the Frisco Plano areas, and of course you can make the 30-ish minute (non-rush hour) drive down the tollway to Dallas if you want anything else. Actually Fort Worth (not that far away) has a better downtown IMO. Arlington has the major league football and baseball stadiums, but there is a nice minor league baseball stadium in Frisco.

Just be aware July, August and most of Sept really fucking suck. 100+ temps and its not a "dry heat" like the desert. But the rest of the year is pretty nice.

Last edited by crzydave17; 05-04-2018 at 07:34 AM..
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      05-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #14
XCUSE_M3
Cruisin slow
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
thanks!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
thanks!

I have never done it maybe you can find some on here that has. But I am sure it would be a hour plus drive at least. Something I would not wanna do. Plano currently has lots of companies moving in the area the latest is Toyota and it's huge. Not sure what you do but I'm sure you would be able to find a job around Frisco Plano area.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 09:29 AM   #15
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
thanks!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
thanks!

I have never done it maybe you can find some on here that has. But I am sure it would be a hour plus drive at least. Something I would not wanna do. Plano currently has lots of companies moving in the area the latest is Toyota and it's huge. Not sure what you do but I'm sure you would be able to find a job around Frisco Plano area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by crzydave17 View Post
Quote:
thanks!

Dallas proper is a bit LA-ish I guess. Have you heard of the saying "Keep Austin Weird"? Dallas has a similar one, "Keep Dallas Pretentious".

There are many surrounding burbs, Frisco and Plano being the popular areas and Prosper is growing quickly with the major companies moving their HQs to Plano. The big one being Toyota.

There is alot of entertainment in the Frisco Plano areas, and of course you can make the 30-ish minute (non-rush hour) drive down the tollway to Dallas if you want anything else. Actually Fort Worth (not that far away) has a better downtown IMO. Arlington has the major league football and baseball stadiums, but there is a nice minor league baseball stadium in Frisco.

Just be aware July, August and most of Sept really fucking suck. 100+ temps and its not a "dry heat" like the desert. But the rest of the year is pretty nice.
Great info. Thanks!!
      05-04-2018, 10:06 AM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Plano is over 250k people and I believe Frisco is 150k. As others have said, there are a lot of companies building new HQ or branch offices in that area which is bringing a huge influx of residents -- jobs should be plentiful. I was just there in March and the roads are in very nice shape and traffic moves well, though there are tolls.

I'm actually surprised there aren't more tracks within the Dallas area. Am I really that spoiled in Chicago? I have Autobahn CC, GingerMan, Road America, Milwaukee Mile, Grattan, and Putnam Park all within 3 hours.

Last edited by dparm; 05-04-2018 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 10:27 AM   #17
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Pretty much what everyone has said already about the texas tracks. But I'll add that Eagles Canyon RaceWay clockwise is a lot more fun than the normal counter clockwise config. Instead of entering the canyon under braking from the long straight and gradually descending you enter the canyon from a short straight right into the bottom of the canyon. It's a mini corkscrew. I held a private day and we ran the Clockwise short configuration for the last session of the day.

MSR is also several configurations. 1.7, 1.3 in both directions. the 3.1 is only run CCW.

There's also a track opening in Anna, TX by LG. But they're trying to be like Thermal and make it exclusive and expensive.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2018, 07:14 PM   #18
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post
Pretty much what everyone has said already about the texas tracks. But I'll add that Eagles Canyon RaceWay clockwise is a lot more fun than the normal counter clockwise config. Instead of entering the canyon under braking from the long straight and gradually descending you enter the canyon from a short straight right into the bottom of the canyon. It's a mini corkscrew. I held a private day and we ran the Clockwise short configuration for the last session of the day.

MSR is also several configurations. 1.7, 1.3 in both directions. the 3.1 is only run CCW.

There's also a track opening in Anna, TX by LG. But they're trying to be like Thermal and make it exclusive and expensive.
LG the tv company?

When these companies are moving to Texas are they all scattered or like some sort of Silicon Valley type of thing?
      05-04-2018, 08:02 PM   #19
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterP View Post

LG the tv company?

When these companies are moving to Texas are they all scattered or like some sort of Silicon Valley type of thing?
LG is Lou somebody or other. Track equivalent of vapor ware so far.
Appreciate 2
      05-04-2018, 09:48 PM   #20
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Ok, I did a 2 year sentence in Texass in 1985-1987. Lived in Lewisville and then Plano. Plano was nice back then with well designed streets. Loved living there even though we were poor as dirt back then. It is a bit too full of Texans, but otherwise it's a nice place.

While there is no income tax, the property taxes there are high, maybe even higher than California!

Truth be told, other than the damn fire ants, the Dallas area is pretty nice. There are some big reservoirs that you can play on if you like water sports. Oh, then there's the BBQ. FML that's some good meat.

Lots of jobs in TX and a pretty diverse energy infrastructure (surprisingly!). You can live in rural, urban, suburban, and every spot in between. It does get cold there (in Dallas area) in the winter. But it is pleasant in the spring/fall. Summer is summer -- hot and humid (though Houston is hot and ridiculously humid). Beats super cold winters that last months though.

I LOL'd at crzydave17's phrase for Dallas. Spot on. Austin is suffering from some silly traffic issues. Really awful traffic.

Not a terrible place to live, but you need to sure you understand what "better life" means before packing up and moving there.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS

Last edited by admranger; 05-04-2018 at 10:03 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-04-2018, 10:23 PM   #21
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

The problem Iwitg Texas is the bmw. Parts coast the Sasmw as they do in California.
      05-04-2018, 10:52 PM   #22
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
The problem Iwitg Texas is the bmw. Parts coast the Sasmw as they do in California.
Ummm, I think your dog has the phone.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 3
bigjae19761571.00
Bucki14155.50