BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

10-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Porsche Owner's Club

Has anyone attended any events with the Porsche Owner's Club? They have an event coming up a Chuckwalla that I'm interested in attending. Apparently, you have to be a member to attend, but you do not actually have to own a Porsche to be a member. They welcome other makes at their events.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 11:31 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Let me know if you find any info. I know in Nevada, they don't care, but not sure about Cali since there's a lot more Porsche's here.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

The three Ohio PCA groups don't require you to be a member. Flash to pass GT3's.
      10-13-2017, 10:56 AM   #4
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

You don't have to be a member but that event has been sold out for weeks.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 11:33 AM   #5
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
You don't have to be a member but that event has been sold out for weeks.
(He's talking about a POC event in November. PCA-San Diego in October is a different event.)

Just keep in mind that POC and PCA-San Diego have some of the most strict rules I've ever seen when it comes to vehicle safety.

When my car was a street going vehicle with full interior and no additional safety beyond OEM, POC would not let me into their events because they said my supercharged, JRZ, AP Racing M3 didn't have enough safety for the performance mods. I actually went to the shop owned by the POC safety guy, and he said there was no way in Hell my car would be allowed into their events---too much performance, not enough safety.

PCA-San Diego is the same. They make you count the performance points of your car on an Excel spreadsheet. If you go above a certain number, they require all kinds of additional safety equipment like cage, harness, race seat, race suit, race shoes, race socks, etc.....

So, if you've got an M3 with power/performance mods, but no additional safety, I'd guess it would be hard for you to get into POC or PCA-San Diego events. Other PCA organizers are not as strict. PCA-OCR and GGR are really nice groups.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2017, 11:55 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCommie View Post
The three Ohio PCA groups don't require you to be a member. Flash to pass GT3's.
[sarcasm on]
What are you talking about? Don't you know GT3's are made using blueprints obtained directly from heaven? No M car can ever pass one up! Even a parked GT3 is faster than an M3

[sarcasm off]
Yeah, I find always having the headlights on (+ highbeams) works pretty well to get slower cars to give a pass.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 11:56 AM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
If you go above a certain number, they require all kinds of additional safety equipment like cage, harness, race seat, race suit, race shoes, race socks, etc.....
Looks like the only read need is safety underwear. The brown colored ones

Jokes aside, PCA clubs in the Northeast are really nice. Can't speak to other places though. Haven't ever seen a 'really fast car' need additional safety, although I recall a PCA club forcing an E36M3 to have a full cage to go up to the black group... but that was just because they didn't want the E36 in that group
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 12:07 AM   #8
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
(He's talking about a POC event in November. PCA-San Diego in October is a different event.)

Just keep in mind that POC and PCA-San Diego have some of the most strict rules I've ever seen when it comes to vehicle safety.

When my car was a street going vehicle with full interior and no additional safety beyond OEM, POC would not let me into their events because they said my supercharged, JRZ, AP Racing M3 didn't have enough safety for the performance mods. I actually went to the shop owned by the POC safety guy, and he said there was no way in Hell my car would be allowed into their events---too much performance, not enough safety.

PCA-San Diego is the same. They make you count the performance points of your car on an Excel spreadsheet. If you go above a certain number, they require all kinds of additional safety equipment like cage, harness, race seat, race suit, race shoes, race socks, etc.....

So, if you've got an M3 with power/performance mods, but no additional safety, I'd guess it would be hard for you to get into POC or PCA-San Diego events. Other PCA organizers are not as strict. PCA-OCR and GGR are really nice groups.
Thanks for the heads up. Yes, after reading their rules, they require harness, race seat and rollbar in their open passing group. I still have full interior so it's gonna be a no-go for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2017, 03:08 PM   #9
WarrantyTracker
Track? What Track? I was just riding along . . .
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M3

The PCA group in the DistMarVa area runs good HPDEs and plenty of them. They don't discriminate against non-Porsche drivers, at least not in any meaningful way. Since instructors are in short supply these days, they even borrow BMW instructors for their events, pretty regularly. Lufty instructed at one last weekend.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 08:31 PM   #10
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

PSA: PCA no longer allows open passing. Even in the advanced group (the open passing group!!!) they require a point by.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2017, 10:35 PM   #11
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I wonder if they had an incident that caused this new rule.
      11-12-2017, 07:55 PM   #12
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
Has anyone attended any events with the Porsche Owner's Club? They have an event coming up a Chuckwalla that I'm interested in attending. Apparently, you have to be a member to attend, but you do not actually have to own a Porsche to be a member. They welcome other makes at their events.
A friend of mine loves the San Diego POC group. They run a tight ship and base the run groups on your actual times, not your ego. I didn't know it was legal to use objective evidence to make decisions anymore...

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2017, 06:54 AM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
A friend of mine loves the San Diego POC group. They run a tight ship and base the run groups on your actual times, not your ego. I didn't know it was legal to use objective evidence to make decisions anymore...
This is what we need in the Northeast. There are people in black and red that would be about average speed in the blue group.

They should have a transponder per car and that's it. Maybe not show the times publicly but at least use that to organize the run groups
Appreciate 0