Coby Wheel
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > CANADA

09-23-2017, 03:44 PM   #1
Bambistyle
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 MG

Exhaust Downshift question

Hi all,

I have always wondered how to improve downshift sound on my M4.
Currently equipped with MPE, and it sounds great overall except when it comes to downshift.

I want somewhat deep full tone (Do not know how to explain properly) than what I have right now. Even with MPE, when it comes to downshift it sounds like balloon losing its air lol.

Would catless DP improve the downshift sound? Any suggestion?

Thank you in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 04:32 PM   #2
2kaccordocoupe
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Former ///M Driver

A valve controller to keep the valves open.

If you want to run a test. Your can unplug them underneath the car right near the canister. You will see the flapper electrical connection. Pull it after the valves are open.

The car software dumbs it down and closes it even while in sport plus.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 04:37 PM   #3
Canuckles
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: MW 2016 F82 M4

Is it a LCI (ZCP) model or pre LCI?

IIRC, newer models keep valves open during sport or sport +. Otherwise valve controller is the way to go. It changed my driving experience for the better.

Last edited by Canuckles; 09-24-2017 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 04:57 PM   #4
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

if your trying to get the downshift blips like the e9xM days you will need to get DPs. before I had the DPs the downshifts IMO were not there, wasn't the blip sound I was looking for. I got the DPs a few cars ago and it made a night and day difference for me. Def also recommend the valve controller as well. This is just my 2 cents everyone hears and views exhaust differently

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2017, 10:26 PM   #5
Bambistyle
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

dp installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
if your trying to get the downshift blips like the e9xM days you will need to get DPs. before I had the DPs the downshifts IMO were not there, wasn't the blip sound I was looking for. I got the DPs a few cars ago and it made a night and day difference for me. Def also recommend the valve controller as well. This is just my 2 cents everyone hears and views exhaust differently
I finally installed the dp, but the downshift is still not there. I want deep blip tone, but it is just empty air sound for me. Would valve controller fix the sound? Thanksss
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #6
Bambistyle
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckles View Post
Is it a LCI (ZCP) model or pre LCI?

IIRC, newer models keep valves open during sport or sport +. Otherwise valve controller is the way to go. It changed my driving experience for the better.
Mine is pre LCI! I got M-performance exhaust afterwards tho. It does not have that "bubble" sound until I tune it. I installed the dp, and the deep tone of downshift sound is still not there
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 05:48 AM   #7
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambistyle View Post
I finally installed the dp, but the downshift is still not there. I want deep blip tone, but it is just empty air sound for me. Would valve controller fix the sound? Thanksss
really? Even in sport +? My downshifts are thunderous with DPs, I do have a valve controller and I will admit when the valves are closed its pretty silenced. I of course would highly recommend you get a valve controller with DPs to me its a no brainer. You can search for my thread on the valve controller I use. I believe the thread is called awesome little mod or something like that

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

I have AA midpipe with valve controller. Downshifts are crazy loud in sport & sport+.
Past: Alpine white e46 323i, Jet Black e39 530, Saph Black e60 530, Space Grey N54 e92 335, Mineral White N55 e92 335
Appreciate 0