BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

09-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #1
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

StopTech Deposit Solution

Hey all. Took my StopTech ST60/40 to the track a few months ago and have been dealing with deposits on the rotors. My mistake in using the StopTech street performance pads at Auto Club Speedway. I have read that the Hawk Blues are great for removing deposits. As I intend to make more trips to the track, is there any point in getting the Hawk Blues for cold temp scrubbing of the rotors or should I just get another set of track oriented pads that will serve double duty effectively to clean my rotors and function as excellent track pads at temp on a track day? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 11:07 PM   #2
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

It's really a matter of bedding them well with those pads. I had deposits with just street driving after doing the 6 stops as instructed.
I bed them in really well the next time and didn't have issues after doing multiple track events.

I would assume any track pad would do the trick.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 1
      09-18-2017, 11:37 PM   #3
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

I had to use Hawk Blue to scrub my rotors clean. Had deposits from the ST Sport pads also. Where in Socal are you? If you are close to 310 I can rent you the pads for a couple days. The Hawk Blues eat rotors like nothing else.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Try a Flex Hone tool. Dave Zeckhausen recommended it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007INTE3Q...=2VKLVL1OJNHBA
      09-19-2017, 10:11 AM   #5
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

I would think any track pad will remove the deposits so if you are going to buy some track pads, I would just use those; no sense in buying a set just to remove deposits.

If you are in San Diego, another option is to have them turned by 5th Street Auto in Escondido. They have a ProCut lathe that will handle slotted rotors. I had my StopTech Aero rotors turned there before and am going on Thursday to get my ST60's turned.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52722.50
      09-19-2017, 10:20 AM   #6
msan
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp

Just my experience but I tried pagids and didn't do anything. Had to go Hawk Blue.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
I would think any track pad will remove the deposits so if you are going to buy some track pads, I would just use those; no sense in buying a set just to remove deposits.

It's going to depend on how bad the deposits are. Proper bedding should remove the vast majority of them, but you may need to do two bedding sessions. The Flex Hone tool is a nice alternative if you simply don't have the ability/time to do that.

I have heard the Hawk Blue thing from two different shops but have never tried it for myself.
      09-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan
I had to use Hawk Blue to scrub my rotors clean. Had deposits from the ST Sport pads also. Where in Socal are you? If you are close to 310 I can rent you the pads for a couple days. The Hawk Blues eat rotors like nothing else.
I'm in San Diego but have in laws in West LA. Thanks for the offer to rent. Might take you up next time I'm up in your neck of the woods.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 12:44 PM   #9
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Get the rotors a little warm and spray them with water. Let it sit overnight and just do one or two hard stops. Deposits should be gone.

Those ST street pads are probably useless bricks if they were overheated to the point the pads left deposits.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 1
      09-22-2017, 02:24 PM   #10
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saandiaago View Post
Hey all. Took my StopTech ST60/40 to the track a few months ago and have been dealing with deposits on the rotors. My mistake in using the StopTech street performance pads at Auto Club Speedway. I have read that the Hawk Blues are great for removing deposits. As I intend to make more trips to the track, is there any point in getting the Hawk Blues for cold temp scrubbing of the rotors or should I just get another set of track oriented pads that will serve double duty effectively to clean my rotors and function as excellent track pads at temp on a track day? Thanks.
How bad were the stock pads from the ST60 kit? Was considering trying them at a HPDE before tossing them... Should I just pickup some Carbotechs or something proper?
      09-22-2017, 03:22 PM   #11
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
How bad were the stock pads from the ST60 kit? Was considering trying them at a HPDE before tossing them... Should I just pickup some Carbotechs or something proper?
Depends on your tires, the track, and your technique. I actually found them to be fine on street tires and intermediate skill, but they won't last more than one or two track days.
      09-22-2017, 10:21 PM   #12
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx
Quote:
They were actually excellent for the track day. No fade all day, just very consistent easy to modulate stopping power. Was my first track day where I did not feel steering wheel vibration by the end of the day. Interestingly I did not suspect deposits until a few weeks later after washing my car. I got the usual rotor rust and adhesion of the pads to the rotors with subsequently lots of steering wheel feedback with braking only. I thought it would disappear as the rust wore off, but the problem has persisted; its most noticeable with light braking. BigJae might be onto the root cause as perhaps the pads are like bricks and were overheated. I've not had a chance to pop them off yet and take a look.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2017, 11:45 PM   #13
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx
Quote:
They were actually excellent for the track day. No fade all day, just very consistent easy to modulate stopping power. Was my first track day where I did not feel steering wheel vibration by the end of the day. Interestingly I did not suspect deposits until a few weeks later after washing my car. I got the usual rotor rust and adhesion of the pads to the rotors with subsequently lots of steering wheel feedback with braking only. I thought it would disappear as the rust wore off, but the problem has persisted; its most noticeable with light braking. BigJae might be onto the root cause as perhaps the pads are like bricks and were overheated. I've not had a chance to pop them off yet and take a look.
Hmm if my Pagids don't get here before next weekend then I'll have to run them. I'm running decent ventilation + the GT3 Cup ducting so heat shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Can't wait to trust my brakes fully... It's been 20+ track days of having to do cool down laps just to keep my brakes in check
      09-23-2017, 12:12 AM   #14
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
The Stoptech street pads will work but you'll likely be managing the brakes while driving. You will overheat them.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #15
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
The Stoptech street pads will work but you'll likely be managing the brakes while driving. You will overheat them.
If HPA would respond to my emails I might have pads. Just going to hit up Turner or BW and overnight some Pagid/DTCs.

Anyone know of reliable Carbotech or Pagid dealers in CA?
      09-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If HPA would respond to my emails I might have pads. Just going to hit up Turner or BW and overnight some Pagid/DTCs.

Maybe Dave @ Zeckhausen Racing can overnight you some Pagids or Hawk DTCs. I think he drop-ships a lot of his stuff anyway. Call him first thing Monday morning, his turnaround time is usually excellent.
      09-24-2017, 05:33 PM   #17
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:

Maybe Dave @ Zeckhausen Racing can overnight you some Pagids or Hawk DTCs. I think he drop-ships a lot of his stuff anyway. Call him first thing Monday morning, his turnaround time is usually excellent.
Appreciate the tip, I will reach out.

Leaning toward Pagid RS29 for rotor life and less initial bite, I prefer less bite for easy modulation and less surpises when trail braking. The Hawks I've tried have had a real aggressive bite.
      09-25-2017, 09:18 AM   #18
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Appreciate the tip, I will reach out.

Leaning toward Pagid RS29 for rotor life and less initial bite, I prefer less bite for easy modulation and less surpises when trail braking. The Hawks I've tried have had a real aggressive bite.

Tell that to Dave. He might recommend the DTC-60s since they are pretty much designed for smooth modulation (DTC = dynamic torque control).