BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-06-2017, 01:29 AM   #1
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Anyone trailer their car to track events?

Ive had my car for two months, and have taken down the two closest tracks to me, so I am going to expand my track radius. It is my intent to avoid putting unnecessary miles on the car whenever possible, therefore I am considering picking up a tow capable vehicle. My question is, what vehicles have you guys used to tow around the piggy M3?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #2
spxxx
Boost
Rep
Drives: 135i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackMan View Post
Ive had my car for two months, and have taken down the two closest tracks to me, so I am going to expand my track radius. It is my intent to avoid putting unnecessary miles on the car whenever possible, therefore I am considering picking up a tow capable vehicle. My question is, what vehicles have you guys used to tow around the piggy M3?
We should change the title of this to "tow rig / trailer photo thread" thread lol. I'm also in the market for a tow rig. Just bought the wife a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee too - she has no idea what's in store for that poor Jeep haha
      09-06-2017, 01:58 PM   #3
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spxxx View Post
Just bought the wife a 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee too - she has no idea what's in store for that poor Jeep haha
Haha
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 03:12 PM   #4
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Awhile ago, I wrote an extensive write up on trailering after someone asked about it. You can check it out here:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showpos...&postcount=247

At the bottom of that long post, I mentioned I might be doing an air compressor on my truck in the future. I have since put in a Firestone air compressor that's tied into the Ride-Rite air springs. It comes with a 2-gallon tank that holds 150psi. It can inflate and deflate the air springs and I have a quick disconnect hiding under the bumper of the pickup for pumping up tires, etc. It works so so so so well. (I had it professionally installed.) I love having 150psi always ready to go on the pickup truck all the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 04:23 PM   #5
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Awhile ago, I wrote an extensive write up on trailering after someone asked about it. You can check it out here:

At the bottom of that long post, I mentioned I might be doing an air compressor on my truck in the future. I have since put in a Firestone air compressor that's tied into the Ride-Rite air springs. It comes with a 2-gallon tank that holds 150psi. It can inflate and deflate the air springs and I have a quick disconnect hiding under the bumper of the pickup for pumping up tires, etc. It works so so so so well. (I had it professionally installed.) I love having 150psi always ready to go on the pickup truck all the time.
Very impressive, and thorough!!!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #6
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Very impressive, and thorough!!!
Hope it helps!

We kept the conversation going a bit in that thread. I posted some pix. Check out Post #262.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...158445&page=12
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

I bought at 2001 GMC 2500HD and an open trailer. I live In Houston and this setup has been to WGI twice, to Road Atlanta once and all points in between. I do not DD the truck or my track car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 07:51 PM   #8
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

My pig pulling my pig.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1478.00
roastbeef11586.00
      09-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #9
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3/E46 M3

Quote:
I am in the same boat right now. Actually, I just put a deposit down on a Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight Edition to use as my daily and tow my e46 m3 track car with for the next couple of years. I basically sold my f80 m3 to get a tow vehicle. The v6 has a 7000lbs tow rating, plenty to pull an open trailer and my car. I live in the Midwest and we don't have crazy steep grades to navigate either. I will be renting open trailers for the time being, as buying one and paying for storage defeats the purpose. Once I have more space, I'll probably invest in an enclosed trailer and bigger truck. For now, this is the best and most cost effective solution for me
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      09-06-2017, 08:32 PM   #10
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post

My dad has an extra air tank on his F350 for his airbags that he runs with the over-cabin camper. Such a great addition and is actually super cheap. We'll probably use that as the tow pig to start but I think our V6 Cherokee is rated to 6,200lbs which should be okay with a 3200lbs car plus trailer.
      09-06-2017, 11:27 PM   #11
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by okusa View Post
My pig pulling my pig.
Brilliant setup!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #12
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantii View Post
I am in the same boat right now. Actually, I just put a deposit down on a Chevy Colorado Z71 Midnight Edition to use as my daily and tow my e46 m3 track car with for the next couple of years. I basically sold my f80 m3 to get a tow vehicle. The v6 has a 7000lbs tow rating, plenty to pull an open trailer and my car. I live in the Midwest and we don't have crazy steep grades to navigate either. I will be renting open trailers for the time being, as buying one and paying for storage defeats the purpose. Once I have more space, I'll probably invest in an enclosed trailer and bigger truck. For now, this is the best and most cost effective solution for me
I like the idea of being able to DD the truck, and renting the trailer is the idea until space permits.
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1478.00
      09-06-2017, 11:28 PM   #13
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

X5d
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 06:40 AM   #14
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
X5d
Same
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #15
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
I appreciate the commitment! I recently picked up a 2010 Range Rover Sport as my DD, 5.0L v-8 variety, 375hp, 375tq, ~7700lb tow rating. I figure I'll start towing in the next year or two and wanted something that could handle it, granted this is a shorter wheelbase vehicle.

I've been talking with friends recently about renting vs buying a trailer. Downside is that most of the rentals are the heavy trailer variety with no additional storage, no tire storage for example. Upside, I don't have to pay to store a trailer for intermittent use. Also, I think I have enough buffer on my tow rating to be okay with the heavier trailer.

Is U-haul the best place to rent a trailer, any other options worth considering?
      09-07-2017, 10:13 AM   #16
spxxx
Boost
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Quote:
I appreciate the commitment! I recently picked up a 2010 Range Rover Sport as my DD, 5.0L v-8 variety, 375hp, 375tq, ~7700lb tow rating. I figure I'll start towing in the next year or two and wanted something that could handle it, granted this is a shorter wheelbase vehicle.

I've been talking with friends recently about renting vs buying a trailer. Downside is that most of the rentals are the heavy trailer variety with no additional storage, no tire storage for example. Upside, I don't have to pay to store a trailer for intermittent use. Also, I think I have enough buffer on my tow rating to be okay with the heavier trailer.

Is U-haul the best place to rent a trailer, any other options worth considering?
The U-Haul weight ratings are really low.
      09-07-2017, 10:16 AM   #17
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Quote:

I've never towed anything in my life. The truck just really became a necessity since I plan on tracking my car for the the foreseeable future. My car is pretty much gutted, cage, no speakers, airbags, etc. it's a nightmare to drive on the street and tracks are 2+ hours away. Probably no longer street legal, but the biggest thing is the knowledge of having a nice vehicle to hop into after the day is done. If something happens to my car and is not operable, I no longer have to worry about it or the potential bill of having a tow company get it back home over several hundred miles.

U haul is probably the best bet as I will be using them too. Some race ramps will probably be needed, as well as some blocks to lift the car on the front end of the trailer so the bumper/splitter don't get damaged. There is a good video on you tube of a guy loading a lowered 370z onto a u haul trailer and gives you a good idea.
I think United Rentals is another place to get trailers, and I'm sure there are local companies that rent out trailers as well. Prices I've sent range from $50 to $100 per day for an open trailer which is not bad at all

Here is a good read on having a trailer if you haven't had a chance
https://nasaspeed.news/toolshed-engi...ing-equipment/
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #18
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Quote:
U haul is probably the best bet as I will be using them too. Some race ramps will probably be needed, as well as some blocks to lift the car on the front end of the trailer so the bumper/splitter don't get damaged. There is a good video on you tube of a guy loading a lowered 370z onto a u haul trailer and gives you a good idea.
Drive it up in reverse, or get a set of big sockets and remove the two bumper plates in the front. I've towed a slammed E36 this way, with the plates removed. Just make sure you get your own straps, the UHaul over the tire ones will loosen up.
      09-07-2017, 11:07 AM   #19
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

My advice on trailer rental is find a friend who has one. Odds are it sits idle most times you want a trailer anyway. UHaul trailers suck out loud.
      09-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #20
Mantii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Can anybody comment on anything else that would be needed to securely tie everything down? My truck comes with the hitch, but nothing to attach to. It also has the 7pin and 4pin connectors. Do you have any recommendations for straps, what size ramps, and what type of ball is needed? I'm assuming the 2" is the most common
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #21
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

Quote:
Can anybody comment on anything else that would be needed to securely tie everything down? My truck comes with the hitch, but nothing to attach to. It also has the 7pin and 4pin connectors. Do you have any recommendations for straps, what size ramps, and what type of ball is needed? I'm assuming the 2" is the most common
Sexiest straps out there:
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/

Standard ball is 2-5/16". Height depends on trailer used. 7 pin is common with brake controller, which you need (unless you attempt the uhaul approach, then its 4 pin since they air brake)
Appreciate 1
Mantii314.50
      09-07-2017, 11:38 AM   #22
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Ball size depends on the trailer. Many older open car haulers use a 2" coupler, so double check, most enclosed use a 2 5/16"