BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-18-2017, 10:32 PM   #1
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

PFC BBK Pad Rattle and Clip

I was hoping someone had installed the PFC BBK. Its the newer version. I have the front and rear. I noticed what I thought all this time was a suspension rattle was actually a brake pad rattle on all 4 corners. I read online for racing applications that was the norm.

However there are little tiny square shaped thin brackets (looks like a thick bent paperclip almost) that I could not find a place to put it on.

So question is, if you have the kit, do you get pad rattle?

Did you use this little metal clip for anything and if so where?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #2
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Which kit do you have? I have the Z-54 front brake kit. I only have maybe 2,000 miles or son on it. No rattles at all, however, the front pads fit so tight it's hard to imagine there were be any rattle. I just swapped out the street pads for track pads this weekend. I don't know maybe after a few thousand track miles once the pads are worn down they might rattle but I don't know if that will be the case.

If you are having trouble call Justin at PFC, their customer service is excellent.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I have the 'new' version as well on two cars

Sometimes on some roads there is a measure of pad rattle. It's not very noticeable.

Now, I removed the bellvue (or whatever they're called) washers on the rear rotor and holy moly!! THAT is noise!
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 03:53 AM   #4
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Sooo after may trials ad tribulations, I discovered my proven was a bad wheel bearing that was getti g ptrogressivy worse and as the bearing introduced more play, the rotor sou inecey forcing the creative loose pads of a fixed caliper to make a racket.

Problem is with these racing brakes that have no anti rattle piece, you can assure for a long time a rattle is Nora. It got to the point I knew this was not normal.

Me and a buddy got a new whee beariganfld hub assembly and voila, all sound gone. I am replacinging the left front as well as preventative.
Tracks I go to a lot like Laguna , can be very hard on bearings so I can't say I'm shocked. Don't let the dealers push you around if you feel strongly something is off
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 08:59 AM   #5
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8600RPM View Post
Sooo after may trials ad tribulations, I discovered my proven was a bad wheel bearing that was getti g ptrogressivy worse and as the bearing introduced more play, the rotor sou inecey forcing the creative loose pads of a fixed caliper to make a racket.

Problem is with these racing brakes that have no anti rattle piece, you can assure for a long time a rattle is Nora. It got to the point I knew this was not normal.

Me and a buddy got a new whee beariganfld hub assembly and voila, all sound gone. I am replacinging the left front as well as preventative.
Tracks I go to a lot like Laguna , can be very hard on bearings so I can't say I'm shocked. Don't let the dealers push you around if you feel strongly something is off
Very interesting! Thanks for the update
Appreciate 0