BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-13-2017, 11:42 PM   #1
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Just ordered my HJC-AR10 iii helmet from K1racegear in Carlsbad

Dustin over at K1 was willing to match the best price I found on ebay, and after I added in a chrome visor to my order he may have hooked up a little discount to help me out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:11 AM   #2
slowm3sedan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW E90 M3

Any feedback on this helmet? I'm looking to purchase the same one. There is a very tempting deal on a Conquer helmet ( relatively new company ) that is $170, but if this helmet is worth the extra $120 I'll most likely go for this one.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, and hopefully you're still using this haha

Thanks,
Kc
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:44 AM   #3
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowm3sedan View Post
Any feedback on this helmet? I'm looking to purchase the same one. There is a very tempting deal on a Conquer helmet ( relatively new company ) that is $170, but if this helmet is worth the extra $120 I'll most likely go for this one.

Thanks,
Kc

Buy the helmet that fits your head best. OP's experience with the helmet won't really help you much since your head is a different size and shape. Best thing to do is find a store with lots of different helmets in-stock and try them on. Just make sure their salespeople are knowledgeable and can ensure the fitment is correct.

All helmets carrying the same certification are equally safe. The differences come down to aesthetics, weight, and features/customization.

HJC makes good helmets and has been around for a while, you can buy with confidence.
      04-25-2018, 09:50 AM   #4
slowm3sedan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:

Thanks,
Kc

Buy the helmet that fits your head best. OP's experience with the helmet won't really help you much since your head is a different size and shape.

Best thing to do is find a store with lots of different helmets in-stock and try them on. Just make sure their salespeople are knowledgeable and can ensure the fitment is correct.

All helmets carrying the same certification are equally safe. The differences come down to aesthetics, weight, and features/customization.
I purchased the cheaper option, but for some reason I thought I was an XL and when it arrived I realized I am no where near an XL and returned the helmet. I am most likely a medium after properly measuring my head and since I returned that helmet I'm debating if I should opt for a more reputable company.

The overall build of the more affordable option was great. I just figured I ask the OP how that helmet has held up since he purchased it over a year ago and there isn't too much info on the conquer helmet.

Thanks for the advice!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I purchased the cheaper option, but for some reason I thought I was an XL and when it arrived I realized I am no where near an XL and returned the helmet. I am most likely a medium after properly measuring my head and since I returned that helmet I'm debating if I should opt for a more reputable company.

The overall build of the more affordable option was great. I just figured I ask the OP how that helmet has held up since he purchased it over a year ago and there isn't too much info on the conquer helmet.

Thanks for the advice!

Sizing also is more than just the crown measurement, though that's arguably the most important. Check out this video from a big motorcycle shop that goes into detail on what else to look for:

04-25-2018, 10:11 AM   #6
slowm3sedan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Thanks for the advice!

Sizing also is more than just the crown measurement, though that's arguably the most important. Check out this video from a big motorcycle shop that goes into detail on what else to look for:

That was a great video! I think instead of purchasing online I need to head into a shop, or at least go in to try on some helmets prior to purchasing.

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 10:40 AM   #7
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

after using a cheap $200 helmet for one track season I bought a $600 Bell. After a couple years I moved on to a $1000 Stilo.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 11:07 AM   #8
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
after using a cheap $200 helmet for one track season I bought a $600 Bell. After a couple years I moved on to a $1000 Stilo.
Bell makes a pretty broad range of helmets, fortunately ($399 up to several thousand for pro-level full carbon). Stilo is a higher-end brand to begin with and is actually owned by Simpson now.

I like Stilo for their customization options such as microphones, forced air, drink tubes, etc. If you have a track car, these might be things you need.
SYT_Shadow11488.50
      04-25-2018, 01:26 PM   #9
Visceral
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M track mule, cars n bikes

Quote:
Bell makes a pretty broad range of helmets, fortunately ($399 up to several thousand for pro-level full carbon). Stilo is a higher-end brand to begin with and is actually owned by Simpson now.

I like Stilo for their customization options such as microphones, forced air, drink tubes, etc. If you have a track car, these might be things you need.
I like Stilo for the light weight. I have a heavy Bell because I couldnt justify the Stilo $$$ at the time, but now that I'm wearing it weekly, I realize I should have gone for the extra.

We have ways of trying on Bell helmets locally. There is no way to exactly predict your Stilo fit without a lot of measurement and prayer.

Currently, I'm looking for a non-full face helmet. I bought the Bell (SA2010) for a racing series where full-face was required, but for track days and autoX it is a big hassle.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2018, 02:07 PM   #10
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visceral View Post
I like Stilo for the light weight. I have a heavy Bell because I couldnt justify the Stilo $$$ at the time, but now that I'm wearing it weekly, I realize I should have gone for the extra.

We have ways of trying on Bell helmets locally. There is no way to exactly predict your Stilo fit without a lot of measurement and prayer.

Currently, I'm looking for a non-full face helmet. I bought the Bell (SA2010) for a racing series where full-face was required, but for track days and autoX it is a big hassle.

Yeah, the biggest issue is that the crown measurement is not really a good predictor of fit. Yes, it will get you into the right size, but there's a lot of different head shapes and each helmet seems to have a different shape as well.

I would tell you to look at the Arai GP-J3 open-face. It runs about $575. Their helmets strike a nice middle-ground between the cheap/heavy ones and the ultra-expensive carbon ones. I have the GP-5W which is full face and it's surprisingly light given the $879 price.

Simpson does have beautiful carbon helmets for under a grand but sadly they don't fit me.
      04-26-2018, 01:05 AM   #11
Spun Crankhub
Major General
Rep
Drives: 15 F82 *SOLD*

Quote:

Thanks,
Kc
I bought the helmet based on the Sparco sizing chart, which has never failed me. My impressions of the HJC after 3 events last year is that it seems to be perfect for the occasional track day guy like me. It breathes well, though I did leave some salt stains around the rim after doing one event on an 80 degree day in which I did not bring a balaclava. I am a hair under 5'10", and was able to fit in my E92 with only 1 click of reclining from my normal street seat position. Not much else I can say other than for the price, and that it will be acceptable for all hpde events, you really can't go wrong with this helmet.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 09:22 PM   #12
dnoble37
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
I just bought a zamp Rz-58 online. Crossing my fingers it fits nice.

2011.75 | e90 | ///M3 | ZCP | 6MT
Appreciate 0