EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

07-13-2017, 03:37 PM   #1
NozzFest
Private
Rep
Drives: Pimped out Prius

Noob tire purchase for 2015 M4

Hey sorry if this topic is overdone but I couldn't find a thread that answered the question I'm looking for.

My 2015 M4 is in for service, and while there they noticed the outside edges of the front tires (255/35ZR19) are pretty worn (they are a bit worn). The rest of the tire has tread past the wear bar.

They quoted me $715 for the two tires installed/mounted/balanced. Tirerack (via Big O) looks to be about $560 or so.

Also the dealer is recommending an alignment for $300. So all told basically $1,014.45 for two tires from the dealer.

Is there any benefit to going with dealer tires? What do you experienced people do? This is my first M car.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 03:51 PM   #2
C-Mu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

Don't waste your time with the dealer. Tire Rack is fine. You dont need an alignment with new tires unless you're experiencing uneven wear and suspect its out of whack. How many miles on this set?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
NozzFest
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Mu View Post
Don't waste your time with the dealer. Tire Rack is fine. You dont need an alignment with new tires unless you're experiencing uneven wear and suspect its out of whack. How many miles on this set?
Thanks for your response! Total miles are unknown since I'm the second owner. I've put 9K on the fronts myself though.

And from what I can see wear is even. As in each tire is worn in the same way - nothing crazy going on.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by NozzFest View Post
Thanks for your response! Total miles are unknown since I'm the second owner. I've put 9K on the fronts myself though.

And from what I can see wear is even. As in each tire is worn in the same way - nothing crazy going on.
Just make sure that when you get the Tire Rack tires, they are the BMW STAR tires which are made specifically for BMWs.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
NozzFest
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
Just make sure that when you get the Tire Rack tires, they are the BMW STAR tires which are made specifically for BMWs.
Interesting - they have the PSS for $241 that are 96Y but don't say "star", and then PSS for $224 that say "star" but are 92Y. The ones I have now are 96Y. Also don't know if that matters.

But thanks for the tip, I'll keep an eye out!
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
CPWINCH
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toyota Prius

Never ever buy tires from a dealer
      07-13-2017, 06:10 PM   #7
LAKERS333
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My front tires have the same wearing out issue on the 255 35 19 MPSS front tires, seems common for the outside to wear out, really soft. I have heard some add extra few psi to compensate although never tried, mine are at 23k and need to be replaced. I actually have them waiting for me at tire shop, went with the M0 265 35 19 and already have the star 295 35 19 for rear.

Im paying about $700 for the fronts. $319 each
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2017, 08:04 AM   #8
Signature Wheel BMW
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Signature BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakhirM4 View Post
The STAR on the sidewall is just an easy indicator for BMW dealers to know you used approved tires, makes it easy for trade-ins to value your car and CPO cars are required to have STAR tires as well. It has nothing to do with performance or grade (comparing the same tire model). So buy the cheaper of the 2 unless you're trading it in or lease requires you to use STAR (OE) tires as replacements.

BMW and Michelin will never share the differences between STAR and non-STAR tires, so don't bother asking.

It's genius if you think about it, it forces dealers (or you) to buy new tires on CPO even the car's tires are brand new and creates more revenue for the dealers + tire companies.

OP, looks like the last owner tracked the car. Without proper camber on the track, the outer sidewall will wear like crazy. It's worth going to an Indi performance/race shop to check the alignment and only pay for the work if it's needed.

Last edited by Signature Wheel BMW; 07-14-2017 at 08:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2017, 12:15 PM   #9
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan Estoril 328i M Sport

Definitely do an alignment check to see if there are any issues. Uneven tire wear may be an issue of bad alignment, be it toe angles or otherwise. If you have an alignment issue and don't get it fixed, you're just going to ruin another set of tires unnecessarily.
Appreciate 0