BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

06-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #1
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Pad suggestions?

It's my first time doing brakes and I would love some pad suggestions for track only - I also need street pads, but posted about that in the brake forum. My car has 48k and has not seen the track (that I know of - got it last year at 42k).

I only plan to do HPDEs 1-2x/yr, but my closest track is Laguna Seca, which is hard on brakes. I have seen many suggestions for track, but not sure how to pick one over another really as it seems people are happy/unhappy with numerous brands/compounds. I'd like something that's at least somewhat low noise in case I don't have time to swap pads for a few days after a track day (this is my DD).

My car is otherwise stock, and I plan to do upgraded fluid and stainless lines at the same time. I am a low-intermediate driver.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Not really any good "low noise" options from my experience, though sometimes I wait a week before swapping and just deal with the screeching for a week--just turn up the radio!

I have tried a lot of PFC and Pagid pads and highly recommend Pagid Yellows, RS29 or RS19. Clark at Apex Performance has good pricing as do some others.

For street pads I like Stoptech Street pads, I have also run PFC Z-rated but not sure they are worth the extra money over the Stoptechs.

Don't try hybrid pads, been there and regretted it. Castol SRF brake fluid is my go-to also after having a number of other lesser fluids fade on me.

Enjoy Laguna Seca!
      06-22-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks! Someone has a set of used (8-9mm left) RS19s on here, so I may go for those. There is also a new set of PFC-08s that someone is looking to unload.

I ran Carbotechs on my old S2000 and they were loud as hell at first, but didn't squeal at all once really bedded in, that's why I asked about noise. I guess there's no similar solution though for our cars.

2qts for a fluid flush?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 12:22 PM   #4
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Ferodo dsuno is he best I've used so far.
      06-22-2017, 02:08 PM   #5
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
Thanks! Someone has a set of used (8-9mm left) RS19s on here, so I may go for those. There is also a new set of PFC-08s that someone is looking to unload.

I ran Carbotechs on my old S2000 and they were loud as hell at first, but didn't squeal at all once really bedded in, that's why I asked about noise. I guess there's no similar solution though for our cars.

2qts for a fluid flush?
PFC-08's are good also, but I find they run hotter and transmit more heat to the caliper/fluid than the Pagids. One benefit of 08's is that they barely wear the rotors but I find the heat issue is more important for a car without brake ducts.

I actually run Pagid Blacks up front and PFC-08's in the rear right now but will probably transition back to Pagid yellows all-around when these are done.

I can flush my car with just 1-liter of SRF but you need to watch carefully and not waste too much of the fluid.
      06-22-2017, 02:15 PM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I'm using PFC-11 after running PFC-12 for several years. This is the best stuff since sliced bread.

The PFC-11 is almost 100% quiet, it is incredible. I no longer change pads after track days and just continue to drive with the PFC11 pads on the street. The bite is fine.

One of my favorite things about PFC is they do not require any break in. Lots of my Porsche students run Pagid pads and it's easier to put a man on the moon than break those pads in. Ridiculous. They spend the whole day with a vibrating steering wheel from doing it wrong, then at night they do it again and the following day I hear the same complaint.
PFC pads? Never heard a peep from the student.
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1478.00
redpriest2147.00
      06-22-2017, 02:26 PM   #7
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I'm using PFC-11 after running PFC-12 for several years. This is the best stuff since sliced bread.

The PFC-11 is almost 100% quiet, it is incredible. I no longer change pads after track days and just continue to drive with the PFC11 pads on the street. The bite is fine.

One of my favorite things about PFC is they do not require any break in. Lots of my Porsche students run Pagid pads and it's easier to put a man on the moon than break those pads in. Ridiculous. They spend the whole day with a vibrating steering wheel from doing it wrong, then at night they do it again and the following day I hear the same complaint.
Ah yes, now I recall why I was so big on PFC for so long, you can just show up with them and the chance of pad deposit/judder is almost nil. Pagids need to be bedded, I have a good spot to do it and I've done it enough times now that I know what it takes but this is certainly an issue to consider. PFC's are more plug-n-play. May reconsider the PFC-11's now as Daniel knows his stuff!
      06-22-2017, 03:08 PM   #8
-BEASTMW-
Lieutenant
Rep

I was planning to have a separate track pad, but given I need to replace my street pads too, I only go 1-2x/yr, and I hate changing pads before/after (tandem garage FTL)... It would be a dream come true to find a decent compromise pad to do it all. I hear good things about the StopTech Street Performance pads. Will they hold up on track if I put some good fluid in?

Also, are the steel brake lines worthwhile? I put them on a couple of other cars but it's hard to say how much difference there was. It looks like the rear lines on the M3 are super short.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe

Quote:

+1. I need to try a set of PFC11's though. I ran 08's forever on my GT3, and still do on my Cayman. The modulation and longevity is second to none, with good brake cooling. If I could get them for my AP calipers, I would run them on the M3 too.

When I got my AP's from Essex, I got a smoking deal on a set of DS1.11, so gave them a whirl. They are OK. They definitely stop the car, and seem to have good wear, but I'm not enthused about the bite and modulation. They seem a bit too grabby, especially compared to 08's and Pagid Yellows. I wonder how the 11's compare to the DS1.11?

Anybody tried them both?
'15 FRS - Sprint racecar
'00 Miata - Enduro racecar
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 03:46 PM   #10
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BEASTMW- View Post
I was planning to have a separate track pad, but given I need to replace my street pads too, I only go 1-2x/yr, and I hate changing pads before/after (tandem garage FTL)... It would be a dream come true to find a decent compromise pad to do it all. I hear good things about the StopTech Street Performance pads. Will they hold up on track if I put some good fluid in?

Also, are the steel brake lines worthwhile? I put them on a couple of other cars but it's hard to say how much difference there was. It looks like the rear lines on the M3 are super short.
I've heard really bad things about deposits on those when used at the track.

I don't think you'll find a true compromise pad.

I don't think ss lines are worth anything if your oem ones are in good condition, but I run them because they can't hurt!
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 03:49 PM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvez View Post
+1. I need to try a set of PFC11's though. I ran 08's forever on my GT3, and still do on my Cayman. The modulation and longevity is second to none, with good brake cooling. If I could get them for my AP calipers, I would run them on the M3 too.

When I got my AP's from Essex, I got a smoking deal on a set of DS1.11, so gave them a whirl. They are OK. They definitely stop the car, and seem to have good wear, but I'm not enthused about the bite and modulation. They seem a bit too grabby, especially compared to 08's and Pagid Yellows. I wonder how the 11's compare to the DS1.11?

Anybody tried them both?
Try the pfc12 next on your cayman. The 11-12s are the new gen compounds developed as part of the 991 Cup car program PFC was awarded.

I used stoptech street on one of my first track days. Removed afterwards and threw away. Have run pfc ever since.
I get plenty of feedback from others at the track about other brands..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
Mvez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 coupe

Quote:
Try the pfc12 next on your cayman. The 11-12s are the new gen compounds developed as part of the 991 Cup car program PFC was awarded.

I used stoptech street on one of my first track days. Removed afterwards and threw away. Have run pfc ever since.
I get plenty of feedback from others at the track about other brands..
I would have already, but I can't find anybody who sells the 12 compound, and when I do, it's only for PFC race calipers. I guess I could call Porterfield and see if they will make me a set for OE Cayman calipers.

I actually already tried to get PFC12 for our WRL enduro miatas....Porterfield says they can't do it, only '08s.

Where do you get your 11s or 12's...
'15 FRS - Sprint racecar
'00 Miata - Enduro racecar
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2017, 04:19 PM   #13
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvez View Post
I would have already, but I can't find anybody who sells the 12 compound, and when I do, it's only for PFC race calipers. I guess I could call Porterfield and see if they will make me a set for OE Cayman calipers.

I actually already tried to get PFC12 for our WRL enduro miatas....Porterfield says they can't do it, only '08s.

Where do you get your 11s or 12's...
I'm very spoiled because I'm running the PFC BBK on both cars

I think the 11 is available everywhere, it's the 12 that is restricted as well as the 13
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2017, 07:33 PM   #14
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Weird, I thought I already answered this question from you the other day. Maybe my post got nuked.

Anyway, since you are doing 99% of your driving on the street and are admittedly not an advanced-level driver, stick with something like the Ferodo DS2500. It can handle light track duty but is very streetable. Don't bother with dedicated track pads yet -- spend your time and money on improving your technique.
      08-17-2017, 10:01 AM   #15
iwl67
Rep
Drives: 2009 Interlagos blue M3 Coupe

Sorry to bud in here but I am in the process of finding out which pads for a track day that I could possibly leave on. So the pfc 11 or pfc 08 for the odd track day and regular street driving?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 10:42 AM   #16
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwl67 View Post
Sorry to bud in here but I am in the process of finding out which pads for a track day that I could possibly leave on. So the pfc 11 or pfc 08 for the odd track day and regular street driving?

Both will chew your rotors up pretty fast on the street, the 08s maybe a bit less-so if you believe the anecdotal evidence on here. You can't really have it both ways: if you want the best on-track performance, they will suck on the street, and vice-versa.
      08-17-2017, 10:47 AM   #17
iwl67
Rep

Thanks dParm. So is there a better option then? I'm not opposed to having to swap pads out at all.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 10:56 AM   #18
SQ13
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

I street drive 3.5-4K miles/year and do a few events every year. PFC 08 works fine for double duty imo. I'm cracking rotors on track due to heat faster than they are being worn down due to the pads. In other words, I change my rotors because they've cracked, not because they've reached min thickness (I never get close to min thickness).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 10:59 AM   #19
iwl67
Rep

Thanks for the help from everyone.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #20
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwl67 View Post
Thanks dParm. So is there a better option then? I'm not opposed to having to swap pads out at all.
Run the 08/11 at the track, and run something similar to OEM for the street.
      08-17-2017, 01:15 PM   #21
rymerc
winner of many hpde trophies
Rep
Drives: 08 e90

Nobody mentioned the powerstop track day pads, so I will. They're cheap as hell ($90/axle) make tons of noise until you bed them, work fine on the street and are good on track. If you're looking for a budget option, I'd recommend them.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 01:30 PM   #22
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

I found that the squeal of PFC08s made them unstreetable. They squeal the loudest the last 20-30 feet when coming to a stop. I once saw a lady slam on her brakes entering an intersection because the screeching sound from my car made her think a runaway dump truck was about to plow into her.
Appreciate 0