BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

06-06-2017, 07:03 PM   #1
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E82 135i, 2015 F15 X5 35D

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
BBX Hubstands

First off I would like to say that these hub stands are awesome and have helped cut a tremendous amount of time off corner balancing and doing alignments.

However I was wondering if anybody could help me out with this issue I am having lining up these hub stands in the rear this time. I have a 135 with an E92 M3 diff in the rear. First couple of times I tried mounting the hub stands they mounted up with no problems. Now though one side is a little off and when I try to center that side i end up off centering the other side of the rear. The front move independently of each other so you can just mount them and rotate the wheel to straighten them out in order to lower the car onto scales but you cannot do that in the rear.

Now I know with an lsd both wheels will move together, my question is is there anyway to move one side without moving the other side for a few inches so I can straighten out the hub stands? Maybe pictures would help illustrate my issue. I am pretty mechanically inclined and do 95% of the work on my car myself and short of disconnecting the half shaft on one side I can not think of any other way to get this done. Thanks in advance for the help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 09:34 AM   #2
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

Let me preface this by saying I'm an idiot - but can't you have someone hold one side, and then push the other side into place? Won't the lsd clutch allow slip between the two wheels?
      06-07-2017, 11:04 AM   #3
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorruptCommie View Post
Let me preface this by saying I'm an idiot - but can't you have someone hold one side, and then push the other side into place? Won't the lsd clutch allow slip between the two wheels?
Totally not an idiot as I thought of the same and tried it but it requires a lot of force and we couldn't get one side to stop turning.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 11:11 AM   #4
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

This seems like something that can be fixed only with the weight of the car (scary) or driving it and hoping wheel speed differential helps roughly line up the lugs enough
      06-07-2017, 03:28 PM   #5
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
This seems like something that can be fixed only with the weight of the car (scary) or driving it and hoping wheel speed differential helps roughly line up the lugs enough
I was thinking of lowering the car on the lift until one rear wheel is touching the floor with a jack under the other side to keep that wheel off the ground and try to rotate it.

Would removing the halfshaft just be more feasible? I just hate that the bolts on the halfshaft are technically one time use or else it would be a no brainer to just disconnect the halfshaft to get around this issue when it comes up.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 04:39 PM   #6
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TZANIDO777 View Post
I was thinking of lowering the car on the lift until one rear wheel is touching the floor with a jack under the other side to keep that wheel off the ground and try to rotate it.
Perhaps you could try this:

-with the rear wheels still on the car
-put a thick wood block (or something similar that is thick and solid) on the floor under the wheel of one side. Let's say the driver side.
-lower the car so that the driver tire sits firmly on the block.
-the passenger side tire should still be in the air
-Now, hopefully you can spin the passenger tire that is in the air. Leaving the wheel on should give you more mechanical leverage over the hub.

And----I know this is obvious----but I'm just gonna say it anyway, please don't be offended------make sure the car is in Neutral and the Parking brake is disengaged.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 04:56 PM   #7
Estoril Blue
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 M3

Have you asked the vendor you bought them from? Thats a service that retail vendors are supposed to provide for their share of the sales price.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 05:21 PM   #8
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
Have you asked the vendor you bought them from? Thats a service that retail vendors are supposed to provide for their share of the sales price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
Perhaps you could try this:

-with the rear wheels still on the car
-put a thick wood block (or something similar that is thick and solid) on the floor under the wheel of one side. Let's say the driver side.
-lower the car so that the driver tire sits firmly on the block.
-the passenger side tire should still be in the air
-Now, hopefully you can spin the passenger tire that is in the air. Leaving the wheel on should give you more mechanical leverage over the hub.

And----I know this is obvious----but I'm just gonna say it anyway, please don't be offended------make sure the car is in Neutral and the Parking brake is disengaged.
Thanks for the advice, will give that a try.

Also, no offense taken as I don't have a parking brake anymore! Car sits in neutral for the most part when I have it on the lift anyway lol

I just feel like there should be an easier way than this. I can't be the only one with a lsd in the rear who has had misaligning hubs and couldn't mount up these hubstands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estoril Blue View Post
Yeah bought it directly from BBX hubstands, hard guy to get a hold of on the phone but I will keep trying. Thanks for the advice.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2017, 11:05 PM   #9
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I just feel like there should be an easier way than this. I can't be the only one with a lsd in the rear who has had misaligning hubs and couldn't mount up these hubstands.
I have an OS Giken Superlock LSD. When my car is up on the lift, we are able to spin the wheels in opposite directions simultaneously but it does take a bit of effort.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 09:28 AM   #10
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
I have an OS Giken Superlock LSD. When my car is up on the lift, we are able to spin the wheels in opposite directions simultaneously but it does take a bit of effort.
Are you guys forcing that? Like one guy is rotating one side in one direction while the other is rotating in the opposite direction?

I know that sometimes these lsd's operate in an open diff like fashion during certain conditions.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 01:37 PM   #11
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Are you guys forcing that? Like one guy is rotating one side in one direction while the other is rotating in the opposite direction?

I know that sometimes these lsd's operate in an open diff like fashion during certain conditions.
No forcing. One guy can make the rear wheels go opposite directions on his own.

Most rear-wheel-drive passenger vehicle diffs including ones with LSD's should be open when sitting at rest or with minimal forces applied to it. "Open" is a relative term. The rear wheels of these cars never spin as freely as bicycle wheels or even the front hub. There's quite a bit of friction/drag from the drive shaft, ring gear, friction plates, pre-load on the friction plates, pressure rings, axles, wheel bearings, etc, that prevent the wheels from spinning freely. But a 150lbs guy can tug on both wheels attached to an LSD and make the wheels go opposite directions. We've done it many times when my car is up on the lift.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2017, 02:01 PM   #12
TZANIDO777
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW X5 40i  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Most rear-wheel-drive passenger vehicle diffs including ones with LSD's should be open when sitting at rest or with minimal forces applied to it. "Open" is a relative term. The rear wheels of these cars never spin as freely as bicycle wheels or even the front hub. There's quite a bit of friction/drag from the drive shaft, ring gear, friction plates, pre-load on the friction plates, pressure rings, axles, wheel bearings, etc, that prevent the wheels from spinning freely. But a 150lbs guy can tug on both wheels attached to an LSD and make the wheels go opposite directions. We've done it many times when my car is up on the lift.
Quote:

Understood, I guess forced was the wrong word but I understand what you mean.

The guy from BBX got back to me and suggested to lower the car onto the scales with the hubstands on and have one side planted on the scales with minimal load to keep that aide from spinning and there should be enough play in a stock lsd to rotate the side that is off.
Appreciate 0