Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

05-15-2017, 09:24 AM   #1
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: C7 Z06, 16' M4 6MT SO

Powder Coated wheel damaged while mounting

I need some input from everyone on what to do here. I am not an expert on the powder coating process or on mounting tires to a wheel. I recently had my wheels powder coated in a custom finish. I was informed that that wheels were ready on 05/10. I had a reputable tire shop attempt to mount tires on 05/13. The shop specializes in mounting tires and uses the new hunter tire mounting machine that does not touch your wheels.While attempting to mount the first tire - they had to insert some plastic piece in the center to hold the wheel. They told me that this was normal procedure and it does not scratch the wheels. Unfortunately it ended up gauging a 1 inch of powder coat right off the wheel. There was no grinding involved as the piece does not spin. It gauged the powder coat purely based on pressure. The tire shop is suggesting that the wheels were not prepped properly before the powder coat. They think that there was some dirt o other residue under the powder. They also pointed out other imperfections in the wheels such as tiny bubbles and spots that looked like there was a tiny spec of sand under the powder. Also, the tire shop remounted all 4 tires back to my stock wheels without issue. Who is to blame here? I am leaning towards the powder coater - but i am not an expert so i am not sure.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 09:29 AM   #2
Mike991M4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4

so that basically chipped/flaked off, correct? If it is chipped off and not scraped off, the powder is more than likely under cured and will eventually peel off of the wheel. If you take a pick at the edge, can you flake more off? that will help determine if its undercured.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #3
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike991M4 View Post
so that basically chipped/flaked off, correct? If it is chipped off and not scraped off, the powder is more than likely under cured and will eventually peel off of the wheel. If you take a pick at the edge, can you flake more off? that will help determine if its undercured.
I will check when i get home, but from what i recall i don't think i would be able to chip them. Also, the pic doesn't show it but the powder is crunched/compressed on one side of the gauge.

Update: The power coater and the tire shop are blaming each other.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:00 PM   #4
aboulfad
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 MG/SO

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Definitely powder coating lack of prep, curing,... from the pic, it looks like the layer was way too thick. if you powder coat something using industrial methods there is no way this would have happened. Thus said, it is not going to help you to convince the powder coater. Sorry for your trouble.
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #5
VioletBlue_M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
What color is the coating?
      05-20-2017, 11:08 PM   #6
shiv.nandak
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypgst View Post
What color is the coating?
Harley black pearl. I got it to match the vents on my z06.
Appreciate 0