Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

03-30-2017, 11:49 AM   #1
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: FR F82 M4

Non-Runflat Tires

I was wondering if anyone has advice on running non-runflat tires? An extra wheel and tire would just give the car more weight and less cargo room to purchase an extra set. How about a can of fix-a-flat or something, do those work and what happens if you have a blowout instead of a small leak?
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 11:58 AM   #2
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 4
swagon13522.50
sh55219.50
      03-30-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Maybe we should delete this thread then? Sorry, I was just wondering if there are any options that I didn't think of.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 01:20 PM   #4
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthFish View Post
Maybe we should delete this thread then? Sorry, I was just wondering if there are any options that I didn't think of.
There is what is called the ///M mobility system in your trunk, in the compartment below the trunk floor. This kit is composed of an air pump and a sealant can so you can fix and inflate a flat tire. Sort of ///M's own fix-a-flat kit. That's why I said RTFM

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
darkbluemn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M4 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Quote:
There is what is called the ///M mobility system in your trunk, in the compartment below the trunk floor. This kit is composed of an air pump and a sealant can so you can fix and inflate a flat tire. Sort of ///M's own fix-a-flat kit. That's why I said RTFM
I tried that kit and it didn't work at all. I bought a spare wheel and put it in trunk. I will take the wheel out if I need to use trunk or before track.

I don't worry about performance in DD and it's a safer choice if I want to have a long trip for few days. 20" tire has very low profile and get flat very easily.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 02:48 PM   #6
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
AAA Premier

You realize that you also get 3 or 4 years (depending on model year) of BMW Roadside Assistance as part of BMW Assist, right?

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:09 PM   #7
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

This is a easy solution that works. I've used this several times already. No messy sealants, crappy run flats or a trunk full of tire. Just plug and air up. I have the Dynaplug Pro in both of our cars.
http://www.dynaplug.com
      03-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #8
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That is what I was talking about, different solutions that I didn't even know existed. I might go with the Dynaplug. That is incredible.

So I guess the only problem to a sidewall damage will be towing? Pretty sure there is no "fix a flat if the sidewall get a puncture.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 04:51 PM   #9
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbluemn View Post
I tried that kit and it didn't work at all. I bought a spare wheel and put it in trunk. I will take the wheel out if I need to use trunk or before track.

I don't worry about performance in DD and it's a safer choice if I want to have a long trip for few days. 20" tire has very low profile and get flat very easily.
I agree.

I tried it once on my E46 way back. Could never get the wheel to inflate and ended-up calling (free) BMW roadside assistance. The dealer charged me over an hour to un-mount the tire and degunk the wheel and tire before fixing it. So a puncture that could have been fixed with a $15 plug ended up costing me a couple of hundreds

So now, when I get a new car, the first thing I do is rip that useless ///M mobility kit out of the trunk and store it my basement until I sell the car. Weight savings . And if ever I get a flat, I'll just directly call BMW roadside assistance and get the car towed to the dealer .

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:26 AM   #10
hlothery
Seeking mental floss
Rep
Drives: 2022 Mercedes EQS 450+

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
This is a easy solution that works. I've used this several times already. No messy sealants, crappy run flats or a trunk full of tire. Just plug and air up. I have the Dynaplug Pro in both of our cars.
http://www.dynaplug.com
Rode motorcycles for most of my life, all over the country. Definitely no spare tire (LOL). The dynaplug and a pump was the way I kept peace of mind, although very rare to need one. I have one in each car also. Had run flats on my wife's Mercedes when we bought it. Terrible tires! Road noise and bumps were horrible, and performance is nonexistant. Changed them as soon as we could. Go with dynaplug and your BMW pump. Relax, and have a ball!
Appreciate 1
skalberti614.00
      03-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #11
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkbluemn View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I agree.

I tried it once on my E46 way back. Could never get the wheel to inflate and ended-up calling (free) BMW roadside assistance. The dealer charged me over an hour to un-mount the tire and degunk the wheel and tire before fixing it. So a puncture that could have been fixed with a $15 plug ended up costing me a couple of hundreds

So now, when I get a new car, the first thing I do is rip that useless ///M mobility kit out of the trunk and store it my basement until I sell the car. Weight savings . And if ever I get a flat, I'll just directly call BMW roadside assistance and get the car towed to the dealer .
I agree with you guys, the fluid stuff to plug the tires are useless at best. I have decided to go with the Dynaplug and pump option as it is light and I will not have to worry about getting an extra wheel and tire.

After re-reading the comment above, I did read the manual F.Y.I. to the emojicon poster above. I meant something more reliable than the fix a flat that comes with the car. Thank you everyone for suggestions. I am glad I asked as I will swap out the tires because I do occasional track days.

Now I was also wondering, the Continental are stock tires that comes with the car? I thought that the car comes with the Michelin Pilot 4 Sport and the Continental as an optional replacement? My car just arrived at Galveston port! T minus VPC, shipping, and dealer's PDI! Super excited but if it is the Continental, then I would want those swapped out for something with more grip.

Last edited by StealthFish; 03-31-2017 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:22 AM   #12
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Now I was also wondering, the Continental are stock tires that comes with the car? I thought that the car comes with the Michelin Pilot 4 Sport and the Continental as an optional replacement? My car just arrived at Galveston port! T minus VDC, shipping, and dealer's PDI! Super excited but if it is the Continental, then I would want those swapped out for something with more grip.
You'll get either Continental ContiSportContact 5P or Michelin PSSs if you ordered 19s. The 18s and 20s all seem to be Michelin PSSs. BMW isn't shipping cars with the 4S yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 09:43 AM   #13
StealthFish
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I did upgrade to the 19" 437m style wheels. That doesn't make any sense as to why BMW would do that, have the PSS for the 18" and 20" but have mixed Continental or PSS for the 19" when they too should have just come with the PSS to begin with.

I didn't know that the cars don't come with the P4S yet. I hope I get the PSS, whatever the case is I will get the P4S or something with grip on my next tire replacement.

Thanks for the info fire!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #14
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
Rode motorcycles for most of my life, all over the country. Definitely no spare tire (LOL). The dynaplug and a pump was the way I kept peace of mind, although very rare to need one. I have one in each car also. Had run flats on my wife's Mercedes when we bought it. Terrible tires! Road noise and bumps were horrible, and performance is nonexistant. Changed them as soon as we could. Go with dynaplug and your BMW pump. Relax, and have a ball!
+1

I carry DynaPlug + pliers + goo + compressor in all my cars.
I do find that BMW's compressor and good work well enough. On the cars that don't have it, I use Conti's kit:

https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...nce+and+Safety

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Ultr...words=dynaplug

I used all four last year on a rear i3 tire, and it worked like a charm.
You do need pliers to remove the screw/nail from the tread, so don't forget to have a set in your kit.

DynaPlug went into the hole left by the nail, and stopped 98% of the air loss. I was still loosing ~0.25 pound of pressure per night, so I hit it with BMW's goo, and that sealed the remaining leaks until the time came to replace the tire altogether. The goo cleaned off easy, and my tire installer didn't even charge anything extra for the clean-up.

YMMV,
a
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #15
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
I did upgrade to the 19" 437m style wheels. That doesn't make any sense as to why BMW would do that, have the PSS for the 18" and 20" but have mixed Continental or PSS for the 19" when they too should have just come with the PSS to begin with.

I didn't know that the cars don't come with the P4S yet. I hope I get the PSS, whatever the case is I will get the P4S or something with grip on my next tire replacement.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1086092

The consensus floating around the forums when it started happening was a supply issue. BMW and Michelin were able to cover the 18in and 20in demand with MPSS no problem, but couldn't do the same for the 19s. This was also supported by the fact that it was really hard to find MPSS in 19s anywhere during the end of 2015 and beginning of 2016.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 01:33 PM   #16
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I don't believe the F8X generation will ever be delivered with PS4S.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 02:04 PM   #17
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31 View Post
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1086092

The consensus floating around the forums when it started happening was a supply issue. BMW and Michelin were able to cover the 18in and 20in demand with MPSS no problem, but couldn't do the same for the 19s. This was also supported by the fact that it was really hard to find MPSS in 19s anywhere during the end of 2015 and beginning of 2016.
I have a friend who works at Michelin North America headquarters in Greenville, SC. He told me that Michelin has an exclusive contract with BMW to supply first year models with Michelin tires. After that, BMW is free to use any other tire supplier that it wants. There did appear to be a supply issue but BMW has selected other tire manufacturers for other models after the first year.

I was part of a group Euro Delivery in May 2016 with 8 M2s, 2 M3s, and 2 M4s. All of the M2s and the M4 CP came with Michelin PSS (first year). The 2 M3s were split, one came with PSS and one came with Continentals. My M4 came with Continentals. After delivery, most of use did track days at Nurburgring Nordschleife, Circuit Park Zandvoort, and Spa Francorchamps. My Continentals held up better than the Michelin PSSs on the track as most of the PSSs had more wear on the outside shoulder of the front tires, but the PSS has a very soft shoulder, which is good for the street, but not so much for the track. Everyone who tracked their car replaced their front tires within a few months after the cars were redelivered in July. I was offered a new set of Michelin PSS in exchange for Michelin using my car in a display at Legends of the Autobahn in Monterey in August 2016, so my Continentals were replaced in August.

Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 07:43 PM   #18
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlothery View Post
+1

I carry DynaPlug + pliers + goo + compressor in all my cars.
I do find that BMW's compressor and good work well enough. On the cars that don't have it, I use Conti's kit:

https://www.tirerack.com/accessories...nce+and+Safety

https://www.amazon.com/Dynaplug-Ultr...words=dynaplug

I used all four last year on a rear i3 tire, and it worked like a charm.
You do need pliers to remove the screw/nail from the tread, so don't forget to have a set in your kit.

DynaPlug went into the hole left by the nail, and stopped 98% of the air loss. I was still loosing ~0.25 pound of pressure per night, so I hit it with BMW's goo, and that sealed the remaining leaks until the time came to replace the tire altogether. The goo cleaned off easy, and my tire installer didn't even charge anything extra for the clean-up.

YMMV,
a
You can put up to 4 or 5 Dynaplugs per hole. I had to put 3 because of a large screw and it held solid for a year and a half till I sold the car.