European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-15-2017, 06:19 AM   #1
Dranter
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, F15 X5 40d, E90 330i

Dealer scratched rear fender - blend paint to fix?

Hi all.

I have a tanzanite blue m4. While i was driving semi hard i had my driver side rear window trims fly off. Guess it wasnt glued/affixed properly.

Thankfully there was no damage to my fender.

I had the dealership repair it. This included them having to remove the driver side rear window in order to install the new trim.

Lo and behold i see my car with chips and scratches, for which they were responsible.
They tried to shift blame, then accepted to try snd polish it out. I told them that there is no way to polish it out since some are through the paint, clearcoat missing etc.

They then suggested to respray the affected area and blend it do the rest of the fender. Do you guys think that thats something they can do and for it not to be dead obvious that there was any blending? So far ive had them respray my front and rear bumper from previous incidents and am in general happy with the way the paint matched the rest of the car. There is no obvious difference to me.

I got super annoyed about it because ive been waiting since last autumn for the weather to pick up so i can have her detailed and install xpel. If i have to respray i wouldneed to wait atleast an additional month.

Thanks in advance

Pics
Attached Images

Last edited by Dranter; 03-15-2017 at 08:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 08:32 AM   #2
Dranter
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Additional photo - https://ibb.co/kAZ1qa

Last edited by Dranter; 03-15-2017 at 08:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #3
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

that rear fender goes all the way to the front. There is no good place to stop that blend anywhere.

I would ask them to paint the whole quarter panel to the front Apillar.

What will more than likely happen is this:
spot sand the problem areas
primer sanded areas
basecoat primer areas
clear coat whole panel

Think of it like rings on a tree. The middle is the problem area. The next ring out is the primer, then the next ring the basecoat, then the next ring (whole panel) is the clear.

That is the proper way to repair something like this without sanding down the whole panel and starting over. Just make sure they color match it properly. Ask them to spray a test panel all the way through the steps to get the color correct. Just because the color code said one thing, the actual shade might be off a bit and on a whole panel like this, it would be very noticeable

Touch up never looks good, don't even let them attempt it, especially if they tried to polish that out. Its obvious that wont work.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2017, 03:16 PM   #4
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Definitely needs to be repainted and blended. If the shop is good you shouldn't notice the blend (although some colors, like mineral white are by reputation difficult to blend).

GL
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 05:00 AM   #5
Dranter
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Thanks for the responses and the explanations.

Im not sure if my initial post was clear enough on what they intend on doing.

Basically they told me they will repaint only the affected area ( see attached pic for approx locations *not my car*) and blend that to the rest of the fender paint.

Now for one i can see it being an issue due to the fact that some of the chips/scratches are both under and above the line that goes across the side of the whole car.

My question is should I even let them attempt at trying this or should i insist on whole fender respray? They told me I wouldnt be able to spot it 100% and that there is no need to respray the whole thing for such minor damage. In some respects they are right because it is indeed minor but it annoys me every time i look at it and the fact that i was overjoyed when the snapped trim did not in itself scratch the fender but they did with their repair. It was a bit of a rollercoaster for me.
Attached Images

Last edited by Dranter; 03-16-2017 at 07:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 07:14 AM   #6
325/528
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pinto

I would look into airbrushing the scratches. It is how the dealership fixes scratches on their used cars. I'd ask the dealer about who fixes their scratches on used cars.

You could also try drcolorchip or scratch wizard. Their paints are usually spot on..
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 07:30 AM   #7
Dranter
Private First Class
Bulgaria
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325/528 View Post
I would look into airbrushing the scratches. It is how the dealership fixes scratches on their used cars. I'd ask the dealer about who fixes their scratches on used cars.

You could also try drcolorchip or scratch wizard. Their paints are usually spot on..
They are potentially over 10 total chips. Ive never had touch up paint fixes on chips done to my cars so I dont know how effective it can be. All i know is from the internet.

I spoke to a detailer and he said no problem but im worried he just said it to secure me as a client.

Im perfectly aware that touch up repair will be visible under certain light and im fine with that. Im unsure however how many chips in close proximity to eachother will look like once fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 07:57 AM   #8
325/528
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: pinto

I would sure give the detailer a crack at it before I agreed to a respray.

A good detailer will paint and wetsand and I believe that you will be pleased with the outcome. I'd get references to find a good detailer in your area though.

Last edited by 325/528; 03-16-2017 at 08:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

Touch up is always noticeable

A blend in the middle of the panel is always noticeable.

I'm telling you, insist on a fix, paint, clear the whole panel to make it look the bests. Otherwise, you are most definitely going to see a square where they did the repair.

also, over time, when you get the car detailed and polished, the polishing will remove the "fade" of the blend exposing the repainted part even more.
Appreciate 1
Dranter69.00