European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

02-21-2017, 06:12 AM   #1
Minimann
Private
Rep
Drives: Mineral white M4

Scraped bumper - how should I proceed with a fix?

Hi Guys,

At the weekend I very lightly backed my MW CP into a studded wall (shame on me I know! )

As expected, it has damaged the car but thankfully not much at all. It has caused a very small round scratch/dent mark (see picture). It feels rough to the touch where the paint has come up and its not just surface level e.g. feels a little bit indented.

My dilemma is this. It's small and barely noticeable unless i pointed it out but I (perfectionist) notice it and want to do something about it.

BMW just gave me an estimate of £900 to get it dealt with and repainted. That seems extortionate so I'm tempted to go down the route of an official BMW Mineral white touch up pen from Amazon.

Any thoughts and ideas very much welcomed and appreciated!

Thanks
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #2
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
I say touch it up and move on, then wait until you get a few more then have it them all corrected at one time. You can get it down to a its barely noticeable, it won't ever be perfect without a repaint as MW is a hard job to match.

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2017, 09:16 AM   #3
AustinGelbM4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow M4

Order a good touch up paint kit using MW paint code. Paint sold online. DIY or get somebody who knows how to do it. Can be restored to barely noticeable by even you. G/L
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2017, 09:30 PM   #4
Dphan2007
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 M3 Mineral White

I've had the same issue. Even with MW touch up paint it still won't cover the damaged area. I had to use a razor to cut down the plastic, add some bondo, sand it and add the MW paint.
I was 50% perfect. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2017, 01:46 AM   #5
Coloradom3
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3, 21 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dphan2007 View Post
I've had the same issue. Even with MW touch up paint it still won't cover the damaged area. I had to use a razor to cut down the plastic, add some bondo, sand it and add the MW paint.
I was 50% perfect. Lol.
Ya I agree. My car is MW. Had a few rock chips on front bumper. Ordered mw touch up paint from BMW and it wasent close at all. Oh well, I figured that would be the case as most mineral paints (or any paint for that matter) is tough to match 100%.