BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

12-15-2016, 07:44 PM   #1
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

iRacing

I'm sure many of you are in the same boat as myself, and winter is now upon us. Sims seem like a good means to help the winter months pass by a little quicker while at the same time learning a few new tracks... iRacing is having a 50% off sale for new members, I think it is an annual thing, but not sure how much longer it will last.

Ordered a wheel myself yesterday. Have 3 monitors now too. Just need to sort out a PC and the rig will be ready to go!

If anyone is on iRacing already, let me know...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 11:08 PM   #2
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

for those of you that use iracing, in what ways do you feel it is beneficial?

i play a bit of video games, and i love gran turismo. i know it isn't a simulator in the literal definition of the word, but when i'm learning my local courses, it has been very beneficial (learning turns, not so much braking points and elevation changes).

how does iracing do with things that are difficult to replicate like elevation changes, braking zones, etc.?
      12-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #3
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post

i play a bit of video games, and i love gran turismo. i know it isn't a simulator in the literal definition of the word, but when i'm learning my local courses, it has been very beneficial (learning turns, not so much braking points and elevation changes).

how does iracing do with things that are difficult to replicate like elevation changes, braking zones, etc.?
For me it's just about getting somewhat familiar with the track and helping memorize it and finding a decent line. Not so much about braking zones and stuff like that.

It also helps you get comfortable driving close to other cars. You can also instill good habits like looking far ahead, turning the wheel to test your traction, etc. without worrying about crashing the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 02:31 AM   #4
ban25
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 C7 Z06 Z07 7MT

Garage List
I haven't tried iRacing yet, but I do have both Oculus and PSVR, and they are both great for driving sims. Project CARS with Oculus on Laguna Seca is very close to the real thing and great practice! Overall, Drive Club on PSVR provides the best experience, in my opinion, even though it doesn't have real road courses. Needless to say, I can't wait for GT Sport with PSVR!

Love the Forza games too (especially Horizon)! Forza 6 has the best rendition of Sonoma, in my opinion. That said, VR really is a game changer for racing...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 06:44 AM   #5
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

My understanding is that iracing has more tracks. I play Forza 6 on an xbox with cheap wheel and pedal set. It's been incredibly helpful getting up to speed at tracks like WGI and COTA.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:53 AM   #6
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
It also helps you get comfortable driving close to other cars. You can also instill good habits like looking far ahead, turning the wheel to test your traction, etc. without worrying about crashing the car.
This. Trying to get better at driving close to other people and passing in corners. But I'm still punting people when doing practice sessions and races.

Having one monitor makes this a bit difficult. Three monitors or the virtual reality stuff would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 09:27 AM   #7
scotty_miller
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 E46 M3

I love the iracing simulator. I always drive on there before I go to a new track to get a visual of layout/lines. It definitely is a confidence booster

BMW CCA Club Racing #905

Instagram: scottynotpippen
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 03:18 PM   #8
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

I haven't done iRacing, but I did try Project CARS on Oculus recently. I drove an Ariel Atom -- it was a real blast and I'd say the physics were pretty good. The biggest thing that's missing is tactile feedback.
      12-16-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

Did anybody here feel nauseous playing with the Oculus headset? I've heard it can happen, and that was one of the big factors in me passing on one for the moment...
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 08:33 PM   #10
Rassilon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

Quote:

I use oculus and iracing and it is very close to the real world aside from the butt and a bunch of other physical feedback. You can instantly tell a good driver from a mediocre one by watching how they drive. Many tests have proven if you are fast iracing or other realistic sim racing you wouldn't be that far off in the real world. I think of it as a great foundation builder, similar to karting, and a great way to improve from normal guy to top of the medium group in track days without ever going to one. And you get good data logging that allows you to compare yourself with and learn from the pros.

Last edited by Rassilon; 12-16-2016 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2016, 09:05 PM   #11
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by skru_fase View Post
Did anybody here feel nauseous playing with the Oculus headset? I've heard it can happen, and that was one of the big factors in me passing on one for the moment...

No, but everyone has different tolerances. Best thing to do is try it for yourself.
      12-17-2016, 12:15 AM   #12
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The Oculus makes me a bit nauseous, but I must admit that turning your head from left to right and viewing the interior bits of the race car you are sitting in is pretty damn cool. With that said, I prefer the 3 monitor method.

For Sale - E92 M3 Full Black Interior Part Out
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #13
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardgtxy View Post
I use oculus and iracing and it is very close to the real world aside from the butt and a bunch of other physical feedback. You can instantly tell a good driver from a mediocre one by watching how they drive. Many tests have proven if you are fast iracing or other realistic sim racing you wouldn't be that far off in the real world. I think of it as a great foundation builder, similar to karting, and a great way to improve from normal guy to top of the medium group in track days without ever going to one. And you get good data logging that allows you to compare yourself with and learn from the pros.
interesting, so it just hones the principles. thats sort of what gran turismo is for me. granted, i use a controller- but when i'm really fighting for a good lap time, it takes me back to the basics of vehicle balance and being smooth.

i really liked what they did in gt6 where they use a point based performance rating to keep the AI cars competitive to the point where i'm making slight suspension and gearing changes to gain an advantage. sort of unrealistic in the way you could custom tune your transmission gearing and diff ratio to the thousandth of a point, but whatever.
      12-18-2016, 05:11 AM   #14
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

On Forza6, I was able to build my E46 M3 with exact same gearing and similar performance mods. On the two tracks that I have driven in both game and in real life, I was within a 1/2 second of my lap times. I think my real car is faster FWIW. It's helpful to figure out shift, braking, and turn-in points.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 12:54 PM   #15
Rassilon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

Quote:
interesting, so it just hones the principles. thats sort of what gran turismo is for me. granted, i use a controller- but when i'm really fighting for a good lap time, it takes me back to the basics of vehicle balance and being smooth.

i really liked what they did in gt6 where they use a point based performance rating to keep the AI cars competitive to the point where i'm making slight suspension and gearing changes to gain an advantage. sort of unrealistic in the way you could custom tune your transmission gearing and diff ratio to the thousandth of a point, but whatever.
You should try using a wheel and pedal set, it will make it a tons more realistic. And there are certain cars in iracing that is extremely well modeled that the vehicle dynamics is almost the same as the real thing. You can do time attacks and try get close to the lap records. At the end of day, it provides seat time and flexibility that is unmatched by anything else.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #16
dozaiya
Captain
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 2011 MW E92 M3

how does iracing compare to assetto corsa?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2016, 09:31 PM   #17
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardgtxy View Post
You should try using a wheel and pedal set, it will make it a tons more realistic. And there are certain cars in iracing that is extremely well modeled that the vehicle dynamics is almost the same as the real thing. You can do time attacks and try get close to the lap records. At the end of day, it provides seat time and flexibility that is unmatched by anything else.
i've thought about it, but i think i like relaxing and enjoying the game more than i want to try to improve real world skills from it. most of what i get from it is reinforcing the principles of racing. i'd also probably go overboard with a wheel.
      12-19-2016, 11:05 AM   #18
andrewmega
wwwwwwwww
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 6MT

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I have an Oculus and Project Cars and can't do more than a few minutes at a time (generally three or four laps on most tracks) before I get some symptoms.
For me, I think a lot of it is the lack of physical stimuli and reaction. Obviously you won't feel the forces from a turn or braking. It seems to help me if I try to lean in and fake the forces, but that still feels unnatural and is exhausting.

Definitely try first if at all possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2016, 11:22 AM   #19
CorruptCommie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5d

It's not really a game - you actually need to prep and practice, and when you get hit shortly after the green flag drops, it becomes really frustrating. I also had a really hard time figuring out the braking without any feedback from the brake pedal and limited sense of speed input from the screen (I think low frame rate is responsible here). I am using a Logitech G27 and my TV and running it off of a Macbook Pro with no video card, a 3 monitor setup with better pedals would be much better.

That said, I need to renew so I can start practicing Road Atlanta. Playing around on Mid-Ohio, the virtual track is very close to the real thing. They even have the bump in the Carousel if I remember right. It helped familiarize me with the Nürburgring, which I did earlier this year. There were no surprises on track, and I was able to have a lot more fun with the limited lap time available.
      12-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #20
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

For those of you that have been doing iRacing for a while now, what systems are you currently using (ie pedals, wheels seat etc). It seems people mod often, at least these mods are a lot cheaper than car mods Some pretty cool 8020 rigs out there...
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 08:55 AM   #21
iBoosted
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars

Garage List
2012 BMW e92 M3  [0.00]
I had an all Fanatec clubsport setup with obutto ozone seat. Did iRacing and all the other PC sims for a while. Made it to A class in oval and road racing, but gave it up after 2 years.

Besides getting familiar with a track and learning the basics of being smooth, etc. very little translates into the real world imo. Nothing beats actual seat time.
      12-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #22
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoosted View Post
Besides getting familiar with a track and learning the basics of being smooth, etc. very little translates into the real world imo. Nothing beats actual seat time.
I think learning various tracks (some of which I won't ever likely get to drive in real life) is the best thing I expect to get from sims. That and it will help pass the winter months until track season starts up again..
Appreciate 0