BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

BPM

12-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Swift springs installed but no drop

I installed Swift Spec R springs on my 2011 E92 ZCP during Thanksgiving weekend. I love how the springs ride and handle but im really disappointed with the drop or lack there of. I knew it would be very mild and since my car is ZCP would be 10mm less... but the rear did not drop at all! The advertised drop I should've gotten was 15mm front and 8mm rear (25mm/18mm advertised by Swift -10mm) The front did drop by half a finger but the rear is exactly the same as stock. I did make sure the rear springs sat in the rubber perches correctly too so that its not the issue. I've already driven over 100 miles on the springs hoping they would 'settle' even though I read conflicting reports that these springs don't settle or droop over time but the rear of my car is still the same height as stock. Comparison pics below, first is stock ZCP and second is Swift springs... you cant even see a difference and the car doesnt look lowered. Has anyone had this issue with Swift springs not lowering their ZCP M3?
Name:  IMG_8396 - Copy.JPG
Views: 1814
Size:  105.5 KBName:  IMG_8495.JPG
Views: 1561
Size:  99.2 KB
Attached Images

12-06-2016, 01:22 PM   #2
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

I'm not ZCP but mine lowered to no finger gap in the rear to a 1/2-1 finger gap in the front. e90 M3 with EDC here.

also if those pics were taken directly after install give it some time and drive around the block. the suspension settles over the first 500miles, but also if you parking brake is pulled it won't drop if its directly after. drive around the block and re-measure.
      12-06-2016, 01:39 PM   #3
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
I'm not ZCP but mine lowered to no finger gap in the rear to a 1/2-1 finger gap in the front. e90 M3 with EDC here.

also if those pics were taken directly after install give it some time and drive around the block. the suspension settles over the first 500miles, but also if you parking brake is pulled it won't drop if its directly after. drive around the block and re-measure.
My rear was a 1.5 finger gap before and still is now... i wish it was no finger gap. And I mentioned that I've already driven over 100 miles since the install, I did it during Thanksgiving weekend and the 2nd pic is from today.

Last edited by BigRussia; 12-06-2016 at 02:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 02:27 PM   #4
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
And I mentioned that I've already driven over 100 miles since the install, I did it during Thanksgiving weekend and the 2nd pic is from today.
reading > me.

that's odd. and you said everything is seated correctly? Whats the part number on the box/springs? maybe you got the wrong set?
      12-06-2016, 02:35 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
My rear was a 1.5 finger gap before and still is now... i wish it was no finger gap. And I mentioned that I've already driven over 100 miles since the install, I did it during Thanksgiving weekend and the 2nd pic is from today.
I can see the difference , it's a little lower with the Swifts .
Too low looks cheap for a road car , and for me your drop looks perfect .
I heard only good things from Swift

I would love to drop my car with Swift but I'm screwed by the yearly Belgian car inspection . And that really sucks !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #6
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
reading > me.

that's odd. and you said everything is seated correctly? Whats the part number on the box/springs? maybe you got the wrong set?
Yep end of the rear springs were all the way to the end of the perches before I put them back in the rear arms. Yeah when I first compared the springs for the side by side pic I thought I got a wrong set but I confirmed with the vendor who confirmed with Swift, they are indeed the Spec R for E9x M3 apparently :/

Do you really think they settle with more miles? I read that the Swifts actually dont have any settling process and that they dont droop over time due to the material used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
I can see the difference , it's a little lower with the Swifts .
Too low looks cheap for a road car , and for me your drop looks perfect .
I heard only good things from Swift

I would love to drop my car with Swift but I'm screwed by the yearly Belgian car inspection . And that really sucks !
Thank you sir! I was hoping maybe it's just me not seeing the drop and that someone else would be able to notice it between the before and after pics. I was really hoping that is the case since im having a hard time seeing it myself!
      12-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:

Thank you sir! I was hoping maybe it's just me not seeing the drop and that someone else would be able to notice it between the before and after pics. I was really hoping that is the case since im having a hard time seeing it myself!
Please be patient my friend . I have a friend on here and he dropped his car too with Swifts .
After he drove 2K miles he saw it a little lower .

Here is a car with the "final" drop on Swifts ...( drop looks perfect to me )
Attached Images

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2016, 06:16 PM   #8
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep

Quote:

Do you really think they settle with more miles? I read that the Swifts actually dont have any settling process and that they dont droop over time due to the material used.

Mine settled a little, but I'm also an e90 so maybe that makes a diff. I still think they should have dropped your ride more.

the cars posted in this EAS thread are all lower than yours

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=790330
      12-07-2016, 11:28 AM   #9
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Make sure you torque everything down with the suspension loaded.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 02:53 PM   #10
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Please be patient my friend . I have a friend on here and he dropped his car too with Swifts .
After he drove 2K miles he saw it a little lower .

Here is a car with the "final" drop on Swifts ...( drop looks perfect to me )
That pic of your friends car is what i wanted my car to look when I installed my Swifts, I saw that pic when i was researching springs and love that drop i think it's perfect too. But man 2k miles? I've had my car 6 months and have barely put 3k miles on it since! I hope I dont have to wait that long to get the final drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington335i View Post
Did you replace your struts/shocks, strut mounts, and spring pads at the same time? If so, these wear out over time and the new ones you install will add height back to the car. The drop on Swift - and all springs - are measured on a factory new suspension, usually non-sport. Over time, your suspension sags due to worn parts - as much a 1/2". If you compare your car to a new e92 M3, you will see a slight drop. Also, your car should drop about 1/4" more over the next month or so. When I replaced my stock suspension with Bilstein B8 and Eibach Profit springs, it only dropped 1/4" for reasons above.
Best regards, Chris
www.strutmonkey.com
I only changed the springs, nothing else was replaced. Interesting point though and thanks hopefully I see it lower in a month or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
Make sure you torque everything down with the suspension loaded.
Yep final tightening to torque values was done with the suspension loaded, car was backed onto ramps and I torqued down the 4 rear bolts...but regardless i don't see how that would affect the ride height.
      12-07-2016, 02:58 PM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep

Quote:
That pic of your friends car is what i wanted my car to look when I installed my Swifts, I saw that pic when i was researching springs and love that drop i think it's perfect too. But man 2k miles? I've had my car 6 months and have barely put 3k miles on it since! I hope I dont have to wait that long to get the final drop

Here is a pic from his Oem vs Swift spring .
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 01:39 PM   #12
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Here is a pic from his Oem vs Swift spring .
Thank you my friend. I was curious to see how the Swift look side by side with OEM non-ZCP springs. At least this proves that on the ZCP cars its the springs that are 10mm lower not the rubber springs perches like some have said. Also your friends Swift springs have the same part number sticker as mine did so thats good at least I know my springs are correct.

Still I'm really bothered how my rear is not lowered yet. I'm even considering trying to move the springs around in their perches with my hands. I really dont want to take apart the suspension again since it was such a PITA to install the rear springs!
      12-08-2016, 02:48 PM   #13
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:

I only changed the springs, nothing else was replaced. Interesting point though and thanks hopefully I see it lower in a month or so.

Yep final tightening to torque values was done with the suspension loaded, car was backed onto ramps and I torqued down the 4 rear bolts...but regardless i don't see how that would affect the ride height.
If you pre-tension the inner rubber bushing, you could add artificial rates to the suspension from the rubber bushing being not at its static state.

Make sure you springs are seated in the perches as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #14
Todd0131
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yukon, stumpjumper, m3

mine was dropped from the day I had them installed, picked it up and didn't need any time to settle.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 12:46 AM   #15
Banana Hammock
Beefcake
Rep
Drives: NA

It's something, albeit not much.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2016, 10:01 AM   #16
BigRussia
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd0131 View Post
mine was dropped from the day I had them installed, picked it up and didn't need any time to settle.
Dam How much was your rear drop? Im assuming it was a non-ZCP car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by duck fat View Post
It's something, albeit not much.

Yeah the front did drop I mentioned that in my post, my issue is with the rear that did not drop. If you make the same image for the rear compare i doubt there's much difference if at all.
      12-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #17
Todd0131
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yukon, stumpjumper, m3

yes, non zcp. I never measured but I can def tell it dropped it.
Appreciate 0