BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

11-01-2016, 09:31 AM   #1
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

Considered posting this under the suspension section but wanted input from those who track. I recently did 2 days of track at Thermal club with Drake Kemper instructing (awesome experience by the way and a great guy). On the second day I began to get some significant judder in my wheel with high speed braking. I have Hawk DTC 70 pads but otherwise all else is stock other than brake fluid (motul 600). The mechanics at Thermal put my car on the lift and assessed that my front control arm bushings needed replacement. Not warped rotors or other considerations. I just rolled over 30K miles with around 7 track days (yes, I need more). Was wondering if this bushing issue was a fairly common problem for our cars and if others would recommend non-stock bushings. Still under warranty and I don't really track.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:57 AM   #2
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Lot's of us have replaced our front lower control arm bushings with the advertised benefit of better brake and steering feel. I went with the Rogue non-monoball set and I am not sure I felt much difference on the street or the track. If yours are starting to fail, you may as well go for an aftermarket set. If I did it again I would go with one of the sealed monoball designs. More NVH may be introduced with monoballs but most are not bothered by it if you are just replacing this one part.
      11-01-2016, 11:26 AM   #3
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I use the BW kit and noticed zero additional NVH. It's taken two track seasons and still works perfectly
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Sounds to me more like uneven brake pad deposit. I'd hit the rotors with Garden hose overnight then re bed the pads the next morning.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 11:56 AM   #5
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
Sounds to me more like uneven brake pad deposit. I'd hit the rotors with Garden hose overnight then re bed the pads the next morning.
This also, you'd likely feel a vibration in your steering wheel on the street under hard braking if it is pad deposits. Might want to fully rule that out first.
      11-01-2016, 11:57 AM   #6
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the info. I have had deposits from the stock pads and hence the switch to the Hawk DTCs to prevent this. But that is a consideration as I am on the same rotors between the two. Did not previously have this problem with the hawks though.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2016, 09:44 PM   #7
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

you're on oem rotors with the hawk dct's?

is the shudder just when braking, or is is almost a constant steering wheel shimmy?

Last edited by roastbeef; 11-01-2016 at 10:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2016, 11:55 AM   #8
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
you're on oem rotors with the hawk dct's?

is the shudder just when braking, or is is almost a constant steering wheel shimmy?
Yes, OEM rotors with Hawk DTCs. The shudder in the steering wheel was with hard braking initially. Now I feel it on the freeway. My last session of the day I did feel vibration in the wheel at higher speeds - my guess is 110 or so. I noticed some migration of my wheel weights but they did not actually fall off. Have not been able to duplicate off track for obvious reasons but I want to say the wheel does have more vibration than usual. Handling has been fine other than the annoying occasional vibration.
Appreciate 0