BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-01-2016, 11:18 AM   #1
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Thumbs up My in-car footage from GingerMan

For those wondering, I used a Tackform v2 headrest mount. In fact, my car was the one they used to take one of the photos you see on the Amazon page.

https://www.amazon.com/Headrest-Tack...kform+headrest

It's an awesome mount that has a lot of flexibility for positioning. Compared to the stupid suction cup mounts that rattle and shift around, this thing is rock-solid. No more "we've detected your video is shaky" warnings from YouTube. I don't even remove it between track days, for those wondering.

This was my first time at GingerMan in the M3, and my first time back in several years. We ran it clockwise in the "revised" configuration (extended 10A/10B complex). Each group got 7 runs throughout the day so the car definitely got a workout, but my StopTech brakes and AD08R tires didn't complain or show any signs of fade.

I still need to become more consistent with the 7/8/9 section but overall I am very pleased with how fast I picked up the line again. I had an instructor briefly in the morning -- he was very helpful in pointing out a few small mistakes I was making, especially with turn 2. Not shown in this video is how I realized the curb at turn 3 is huge at corner exit, meaning I could start carrying way more speed through there and into the kink at 4.

Next time I will definitely join the intermediate group per the instructor & organizers' recommendations.

Last edited by dparm; 07-01-2016 at 11:37 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Very cool video! It was nice of that camaro to finally give you the point @ 6:15.

You should totally add it to the video thread so it doesn't get buried:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1279093
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 12:34 PM   #3
flipm3
E46 + E90 + F80
Rep
Drives: E46 + E90 + F80

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for sharing the footage! I love Gingerman Raceway, but I struggle so much with the track. It's definitely a momentum and technical track, so for our heavier cars, I struggle a bit.

Did you record any lap times?
Any other plans scheduled for the year? I'm doing a few more Road America, Autobahn, and Gingerman events. We should definitely try to do a few events together!
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2016, 12:40 PM   #4
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

nice~!

where's your dsc off sticker?
      07-11-2016, 02:41 PM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
Thanks for sharing the footage! I love Gingerman Raceway, but I struggle so much with the track. It's definitely a momentum and technical track, so for our heavier cars, I struggle a bit.

Did you record any lap times?
Any other plans scheduled for the year? I'm doing a few more Road America, Autobahn, and Gingerman events. We should definitely try to do a few events together!

No lap times recorded. I'm debating getting Harry's Lap Timer.

Feel free to PM me if you are doing some events, always nice to meet other M3 drivers.
      07-11-2016, 02:42 PM   #6
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
nice~!

In a drawer until Bell gets off their asses and ships SA2015 helmets faster (I've got the M.8 on order).
      07-11-2016, 03:23 PM   #7
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
nice~!

In a drawer until Bell gets off their asses and ships SA2015 helmets faster (I've got the M.8 on order).
Haha nice
      07-18-2016, 06:45 PM   #8
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I just got back from Gingerman yesterday. One of my favorite tracks just because it is fairly technical and has a ton of run-off so I find it does a great job of pushing me harder and harder.

In general your lines look really good. If you are not in intermediate you should be! My notes from your lap:
1) Looks great.
2) Also very good. I am impressed, that is a tough turn for most people, myself included.
3) I personally like to go deeper into 3 and late apex it out. As you said there is a lot of curbing out there on 3 although you do have to be careful if you use it as it is pretty bumpy
4) For turn 4 you don't need to be way way out when you start your turn in. I know everyone does it but if you turn in earlier there and keep your eyes forward you will realize it's not a very tight turn. You can actually go about 2/3s of the way out before starting your turn in and just stay flat footed through that section. (see my video and note the G forces aren't even *that* high)
5) You can carry more speed through this, but it takes some balls. Properly taken you will trailbrake quite a bit in 5. Essentially you come in hot and then slowly keep scrubbing speed as you turn in and then drift back track out in preparation for 6. It is imperative that you keep your eyes looking forward in turn 5. In general 5 is a tough turn to really get right I still struggle with it a lot. And of course because 5 and 6 are actually connected getting 6 correct is more important than 5 anyways so I worry a little less about it.
6) You got this right, the turning radius decreases from 5. You start as far out as possible (there is a small patch of curbing out there), and cut in using all the curbing on the inside. The exit of 6 is also fairly wide but again a little bumpy. I typically find myself rolling back into the throttle pretty quickly at the apex and correcting a small amount of oversteer as I track out and usually go a bit onto the exit curbing.
7) You nailed it. I personally love your line there. I like to turn in a little earlier (just as you did) than most others.
8 & 9) Again a tricky combination to get right... but when you do hold on to your hats! You tend to apex 8 a little early in the video which I think caused you to start 9 early as well. This is a tough combination to explain so it may help to just watch my video (although I am a *little* too slow in the early sweeping part of 8). In short this is another area where it is very important to keep your eyes way way forward. You want to slowly pull 8 in to the point where your right tires are *just* touching the curbing. Then you wait a split second and, as smoothly as possible, start your entrance to 9. Taken properly 9 is pretty wild. Keep your eyes way way ahead and *just* clip the first apex and then keep applying throttle to track out. You should be throttle steering the car quite a bit as you push it out of the first apex. Then once you are out and starting your entrance for the second apex you will likely be full throttle, weight all set back, and fighting the rear if it wants to dance a bit. Again keep your eyes forward, and hold on baby. I get over 100mph before braking for T10. There is quite a bit of runoff after the second apex should you need it. One last note. My suggestion here is to shift into 4th right before 7. 4th gives you the perfect amount of torque to balance the care through 7 and 8, and then its right in the meat of the power for the wildness of 9.
10) You take it how I take it. Although it seems everyone does it a little differently. In general I know this is another one where trailbraking can help you pretty dramatically, but its off camber a bit so you have to be ready if the tail moves.
11) You nailed it. Be sure to use all that inside apex curbing. On the exit this is the only turn I caution people on. In general Gingerman is very forgiving however T11 has a guard rail pretty close to it, so you definitely don't want to go four off over there.

For reference here is a video of my personal best at Gingerman. This is just about as much as I think I am comfortable pushing the car... not too much left in it.

BTW your car sounds amazing! What exhaust is that?
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 09:18 PM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
I just got back from Gingerman yesterday. One of my favorite tracks just because it is fairly technical and has a ton of run-off so I find it does a great job of pushing me harder and harder.

In general your lines look really good. If you are not in intermediate you should be!

BTW your car sounds amazing! What exhaust is that?

Thanks, man. I was in beginner but only because I had never run with that club before and they weren't keen on people going straight to intermediate (especially since I hadn't been out there for years). They required an instructor to ride with you in the first session and he did help me get turn 2 nailed down. Turn 7 was an interesting source of debate -- my instructor had me using a very different line from most other instructors, one of whom actually tried to explain the correct line later in the day.

I did have 3 more sessions after that vid so it's arguably not my best, but overall I feel pretty comfortable on that track.

That is a stock exhaust! I just have a cheap microphone taped to the rear bumper. I'm laughing all the way to the bank when people post up about how awesome their $5000 exhaust sounds...joke's on them, the car already has a nice one!
      07-19-2016, 10:51 PM   #10
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Thanks, man. I was in beginner but only because I had never run with that club before and they weren't keen on people going straight to intermediate (especially since I hadn't been out there for years). They required an instructor to ride with you in the first session and he did help me get turn 2 nailed down. Turn 7 was an interesting source of debate -- my instructor had me using a very different line from most other instructors, one of whom actually tried to explain the correct line later in the day.

I did have 3 more sessions after that vid so it's arguably not my best, but overall I feel pretty comfortable on that track.

That is a stock exhaust! I just have a cheap microphone taped to the rear bumper. I'm laughing all the way to the bank when people post up about how awesome their $5000 exhaust sounds...joke's on them, the car already has a nice one!
Wow! My car always seems so quiet compared to most other stuff out there. Very cool to know that at least from behind it must sound great. I am truly shocked that it sounds that good, and it makes me want to get a go pro for next time and just do exactly as you did and tape a mic back there. Like you said wayyyyyy cheaper than some Uber exhaust that hardly adds any power over just test pipes.

Have fun out there and definitely post up more videos of Midwest tracks if/when you go!
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #11
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

If you guys aren't using a dedicated mike for the exhaust of an E9x you are doing it wrong!

I have a $100 one stuck in the trunk and it makes a massive, massive difference for vids. The car always sounds glorious, but to hear the exhaust so well makes the vids more engaging

I run the ESS HFC Xpipe and the Evolve Valvetronic catback. A great combo which sounds fantastic
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 08:20 PM   #12
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
If you guys aren't using a dedicated mike for the exhaust of an E9x you are doing it wrong!

I have a $100 one stuck in the trunk and it makes a massive, massive difference for vids. The car always sounds glorious, but to hear the exhaust so well makes the vids more engaging

I run the ESS HFC Xpipe and the Evolve Valvetronic catback. A great combo which sounds fantastic

Mine is a cheap $40 Audio-Technica lapel mic that I got on Amazon. I suppose I could get fancy with a stereo mic and big fuzzy covers, but I'm cheap and lazy.
      07-22-2016, 02:16 PM   #13
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Nice laps and footage. Gingerman is imo a massively underrated track, and the absolute best place to learn in the region. Skills learned there can be applied just about anywhere. My first HPDE was with CGI about a decade ago. Great organization.

Quote:
For reference here is a video of my personal best at Gingerman. This is just about as much as I think I am comfortable pushing the car... not too much left in it.

My E90 spec is (was) very similar to yours -- in my sig. Low 1:41 is all she's got. Haven't seen an E9X yet break that barrier. Got close...

image by FormulaMMM, on Flickr

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2016, 11:27 PM   #14
WhatsADSM
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Nice laps and footage. Gingerman is imo a massively underrated track, and the absolute best place to learn in the region. Skills learned there can be applied just about anywhere. My first HPDE was with CGI about a decade ago. Great organization.

My E90 spec is (was) very similar to yours -- in my sig. Low 1:41 is all she's got. Haven't seen an E9X yet break that barrier. Got close...

image by FormulaMMM, on Flickr
Agreed... I think somewhere in the 40s (1:40:xx) is probably possible if you are totally crazy and nail every turn but I just can't see getting it into the 30s without aero or supercharger.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 06:42 AM   #15
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Agreed... I think somewhere in the 40s (1:40:xx) is probably possible if you are totally crazy and nail every turn but I just can't see getting it into the 30s without aero or supercharger.
I'd love to see it. Think you might be able to pull it off with those Pirellis. Had another look at your lap -- cleaner through turn 1 is about the only thing I spotted. And consider taking 3rd into 7, getting on the gas @ apex, and tracking out more. Then back to 4th once tracked out & as you're winding back in for turn 8. Btwn those two things you might gain some tenths...

Cool thing about Gingerman is that it doesn't really reward craziness. Impatience through turns 8 & 9, for example, will only slow you down. Too eager into turn 10 and you'll push beyond the turn in point, which has ramifications for the back straight, etc. Technical track.

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:24 AM   #16
BigRussia
Captain
Rep
Drives: 04 M3

Nice driving and footage, that headrest mount was just what I was looking for my first track day. I was going to mount the camera with suction cup to the right side of my helmet but worried i wont have a good angle with the footage even though the POV would look pretty cool.

Btw what is your exhaust setup? Car sounds really good!
      07-25-2016, 02:10 PM   #17
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRussia View Post
Nice driving and footage, that headrest mount was just what I was looking for my first track day. I was going to mount the camera with suction cup to the right side of my helmet but worried i wont have a good angle with the footage even though the POV would look pretty cool.

Btw what is your exhaust setup? Car sounds really good!

Suction cup on the helmet doesn't work well. I tried it -- fell off after a minute or two. You have to use an adhesive mount and it just gives you motion sickness watching later. Buy the mount I recommended in my post.

Exhaust is 100% stock. There's a mic taped to the bumper so I suspect you just haven't heard your own car's exhaust from outside. :-)