BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

06-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #1
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Google Maps for track layouts

I'm sure others have thought about this but maybe it hasn't occurred to everyone.

I just got back from a weekend at Buttonwillow and after I realized how slow I am, I started studying some YouTube videos of other E9x drivers. There's one of Brad Smrz in a mostly stock E92 where he did a 2:01. While it was easy to see how his lines differ from mine, it's not as apparent what the lines looked like from a top down view of the track. I remembered the Google Maps satellite view and took a look at the track using that view. The great thing is that you can see track features like curbs so it's easy to see where on the track he's turning in/apexing/exiting the turns and therefore get a better visualization of what the line looks like from above. It would also help with planning your own lines prior to going to a new track since you have the visual references you wouldn't have with just a regular track map.

Anyhow, just wanted to share.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 08:51 AM   #2
MSteve5036
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08/99 M3s

In a perfect world...there would be a track layout tutorial narrated by Martin Brundle for every track
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2016, 10:16 AM   #3
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

If you watch other videos with a track map you can see the lines and location of track.