Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-13-2016, 03:28 PM   #1
F80R
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite Blue F80 M3

Magnaflow vs Awe vs Remus

Hi everyone I'm new here this is my first post. I have a 2016 M3 for almost a year and thinking of getting an exhaust system. I would like something deep but nothing insanely loud. Also I don't want to have an exhaust that drones badly too. This are the systems I have in mind that not very expensive but also seems they have a deep tone. Would like to hear some opinions from you people of which system you would recommend and why ?
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 05:14 PM   #2
CesarF83
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F83

Garage List
2016 BMW F83 M4  [0.00]
Hello, personally I went with AWE and am very happy with the system. I'm running AWE non-res with DP and it is loud. I have no noticeable drone and it is deeper than the MPE
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 05:54 PM   #3
aajjcc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

Currently have REMUS. Zero droning. Probably the deepest exhaust system. Insanely loud in Sport+, very loud in Sport, quiet in Efficient. Cold start rattle. I've never hear AWE in person before but based on the positive reviews and video clips, I think you'll be happy with whatever you end up with.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 06:08 PM   #4
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

I have had AWE resonated and now Remus, both are great exhausts. Remus is a little louder and more burbles can be heard with Remus. AWE was a bit more clean sounding and deeper sounding to me, I noticed with AWE the car pulled stronger in the higher rpms as opposed to the Remus now. Only negatives on the AWE is that you lost a hint of low end grunt but it was made up by pulling hard up top. Everything else was great with AWE. Negatives about the Remus is that it has the cold start rattle that's damn annoying and I feel no difference in performance as from when it had the stock exhaust. They both sound great and whatever you choose you can't go wrong, but please make sure you find a way to hear all three in person so you know for sure what will be best for you! Also if you search a little you will find multiple threads on different exhausts that include videos and opinions from people that own them.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #5
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [5.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [6.20]
Having experienced and installed all 3 systems, Remus without a doubt.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 06:24 PM   #6
F80R
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you all for replying. I guess I have to really hear it in person to decide. I'm leaning towards so far AWE I heard from people Remus is just too loud and cold start are insanely loud lol I don't want to go over the board loud I just want a good improvement over stock but not top fuel dragster loud
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2016, 07:37 PM   #7
Kr3st
Wheel Whore
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by aajjcc View Post
Currently have REMUS. Zero droning. Probably the deepest exhaust system. Insanely loud in Sport+, very loud in Sport, quiet in Efficient. Cold start rattle. I've never hear AWE in person before but based on the positive reviews and video clips, I think you'll be happy with whatever you end up with.
Remus is the worst sounding of them all. Sorry to tell you that. Deepest goes to Active Autowerke, hands down. There have been 30+ threads with all voting for it being the deepest.

Deep, Remus is not.

06-13-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Any Recent Magnaflow owners care to comment?
      06-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #9
TMR
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Everyone says they like the way my Magnaflow sounds. Then I tell them it's a Magnaflow and they don't like it. I personally love the way the Magnaflow sounds.
SOLD E39 M5 Modded, What a great car! www.tmrmzine.com/m5/
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2016, 10:46 PM   #10
F80R
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Magnaflow also seems like a good option specially for the price
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 12:08 AM   #11
CIIdriver
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: R8

Can you guys please expand on the issue of the cold start with the Remus? Specifically the "rattle". Are you getting when cold starting with valves open, closed or both? If starting wither closed does it rattle?

I'm always very impressed with videos of the Remus but haven't seen videos showing this issue. Also I assume you guys are talking about their "race" exhaust (catback w/ midpipes) and not just the axle back "sport" version. Remus is on my short list so any info is very appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 12:26 AM   #12
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIIdriver View Post
Can you guys please expand on the issue of the cold start with the Remus? Specifically the "rattle". Are you getting when cold starting with valves open, closed or both? If starting wither closed does it rattle?

I'm always very impressed with videos of the Remus but haven't seen videos showing this issue. Also I assume you guys are talking about their "race" exhaust (catback w/ midpipes) and not just the axle back "sport" version. Remus is on my short list so any info is very appreciated!
The rattle on the Remus is with valves closed for like the first 10 seconds on cold start. It does not rattle with valves open on cold start but cold start with valves open is extremely loud.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 12:56 AM   #13
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CIIdriver View Post

I also personally had issues with REMUS interior noise as well. It wasn't really comfortable for me.

Cold Start rattling on REMUS is extremely annoying. You might or might not get it but you probably will get it to some effect.
      06-14-2016, 06:03 AM   #14
AutoTalent
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 6mt | e60 M5 6mt

My personal favorite is Remus and Active Autowerke. For those concerned with Remus cold start you can either do a tune to eliminate it or wait for their resonated mid section that will be released soon.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 07:20 AM   #15
ryank382
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Z4 M Roadster

I have the Remus and in my opinion there is no really deep sounding exhaust for our cars and all the exhausts sound pretty similar if you don't nitpick. Now judging by internet vids of awe and mperformance exhaust I'd bet they sound a little bit better and maybe even deeper(awe) then Remus but idt it's worth the price difference. It's prob the 3rd or 4th best exhaust tone on the market and a great deal for the money if you stick to the huge standard tips which believe it or not you grow to love even if you weren't too happy with it to begin with lol

Remus is VERY loud with valves open. Valves closed sounds super quiet in comparison just like stock in efficient.

Cold start valves closed = hardcore rattling sound
Cold start valves open= so loud you can't hear the person standing next to you. Also sounds very very bad and unrefined

Then after the RPMs drop you're back to sounding badass again. I've gotten a lot of compliments and even scared people who stand behind it wanting to hear it with just a slight press of the throttle so beware of the loudness

I'll be posting a proper exhaust video of it in about a week or 2 hopefully
Appreciate 2
      06-14-2016, 08:20 AM   #16
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I've had AA and AWE so here is my .02..

Everyone says AWE is deep.. I guess it is compared to a stock S55 setup but it's not deep compared to other platforms. It lets off ghastly M Queefs if driving with valves in OEM operation. Also the dual 3" piping is a very tight squeeze and will likely rub somewhere.

AA sounds great but is pretty quiet even with DP. I also don't like their rear end design. Too many moving parts. Its like an erector set. I would think they could have figured out a better way to bracket together their mufflers.

I wouldn't buy either of them again. Ill probably try MaxPSI or BMS on the new car as I really think the large single mid pipe is the "deepest" sounding design.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 02:16 PM   #17
hanszilla
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 F80

I've heard Remus and AWE non res /w DP in person.

My impression of the Remus is that it is very loud and dry (not deep or rumbly), it doesn't sound bad, but it is not my cup of tea. And just like what some members are saying, the cold start is bad. It does sound good WOT though.

I have never heard AWE on its own, but I did have a chance to hear AWE non res paired with ER DP. It is very loud, even on slight throttle tap. If you have to cold start this car in an enclosed space, there will be a lot of vibrations and uncouth noise.

With that said I ended up with MPE, because it's the one that is aesthetically pleasing.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #18
AlbeeM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2016

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F80R View Post
Hi everyone I'm new here this is my first post. I have a 2016 M3 for almost a year and thinking of getting an exhaust system. I would like something deep but nothing insanely loud. Also I don't want to have an exhaust that drones badly too. This are the systems I have in mind that not very expensive but also seems they have a deep tone. Would like to hear some opinions from you people of which system you would recommend and why ?
Here's some clips of my Magnaflow Sport exhaust.

Drive by...

I hope this helps from for Magnaflow. I recently got downpipes. I'll work on a video for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2016, 03:48 PM   #19
AlphaOmega4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbeeM View Post

Drive by...

I hope this helps from for Magnaflow. I recently got downpipes. I'll work on a video for that.
Any Drone,, Rattling? do you still get some of that Braappppp! I have come to love ??
      06-15-2016, 11:00 AM   #20
AlbeeM
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 2016

Garage List
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaOmega4 View Post
Any Drone,, Rattling? do you still get some of that Braappppp! I have come to love ??
Very minimum drone. While driving on the highway it feels much like stock. No rattling; the fitment is very solid. And yes, there's the "Braapp" sound, but louder now!
Overall, I get a much deeper tone.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #21
sraj
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2001 540i 6sp; 2016 M4 vert

Quote:
Very minimum drone. While driving on the highway it feels much like stock. No rattling; the fitment is very solid. And yes, there's the "Braapp" sound, but louder now!
Overall, I get a much deeper tone.
On stock exhaust with DCT, I find drone to be a problem with valves open at 2K-2.5K rpm. Do you have DCT? Can you lock your valves?

Also, is Magnaflow much louder than stock?

I am looking for a richer sound, not too much louder than stock, with minimal drone with valves open.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2016, 05:56 PM   #22
Magna_Flow
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR View Post
Everyone says they like the way my Magnaflow sounds. Then I tell them it's a Magnaflow and they don't like it. I personally love the way the Magnaflow sounds.
We're glad you like it, and know what you're talking about. There will always be the owners who care more about brand names than the actual quality and performance, but hey, to each his own!

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80R View Post
Magnaflow also seems like a good option specially for the price
Our system is the most affordable option of the ones listed. We believe in bringing a quality system to market, without the added M tax. Our Touring system retails for $2700, and has fully stainless steel construction, OEM valve compatibility, and a lifetime warranty!

Quote:

Thanks for sharing these videos around! We cant wait to hear it with the DPs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sraj View Post
Also, is Magnaflow much louder than stock?

I am looking for a richer sound, not too much louder than stock, with minimal drone with valves open.
Both of our systems will give you slightly more volume than stock, with a nice, deep tone throughout the RPMs. We realize that most peoples cars are daily-drivers, so we design our systems to produce an awesome tone, without being so loud that it becomes intrusive during street driving.
Appreciate 0