BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

05-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #1
crash32
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

All of you "do it yourselfer's" chime in please!!!

Hey guys, I thought that this was the best place to post since you track guys do 90% of the minor work yourselves. Now that I have gotten into track days which involves frequent work on the vehicles especially brakes; I need proper tools to ensure everything goes as smooth as possible.
I have a floor jack and just the very basic tools for around the house. I am going to order the Barvarian brake bleeding kit, a torque wrench, and needed tools to replace brakes.
I just got the Impact lug nut set to protect the wheels when removing and mounting the wheels.
What tools would you say that is a must and if there are certain brands or combo kits you recommend.... Let me know and much thanks!!!

Last edited by crash32; 05-30-2016 at 02:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #2
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Get the Motive brake bleeder kit.

Buy high-quality tools for things you repeatedly use or that cut metal (drill bits, etc.). Rarely used stuff can come from Harbor Freight/ebay (ball joint removers, etc.) as you'll likely only use them once or twice before getting a different toy to play with.

Don't forget safety gear like jack stands, safety glasses, gloves, etc.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 02:32 PM   #3
Fearce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 VT2-625

My craftsman tool kit did not have 18mm or 21mm wrenches, I'd say make sure you have those if you want to do suspension work.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 02:38 PM   #4
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

+1 on the Motive brake bleeder, I've had mine for 8+ years now and it's one of my most frequently used speciality tools.

I would also pick up a few BMW jack pad adaptors, example.

Then I recently purchased a cheap backup torque wrench on Amazon but like my basic Craftsman torque wrench much better. Annoying they don't come with cases anymore (only reason I didn't buy another Craftsman).

You'll need a breaker bar, any brand will do but again I have a Craftsman and like it.

Then a brake spreader of some sort, the Lisle from Amazon is great and cheap.

A more recent purchase is my Craftsman Heavy Duty cordless impact wrench with XCP battery and charger, it's quite nice but more of a luxury to have. Speeds up wheel/tire swaps and great for breaking high torque bolts loose, such as caliper bolts.

And a good fan to keep you cool while working.
      05-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #5
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

Great suggestions so far..... keem em coming!
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 04:20 PM   #6
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
I have this tool box from HF. Very convenient, as it has a lot of hand tools I need to work on my car. I never use the SAE tools, so that's kind of a waste but no complaints for $120.

Also have a tool bag to store misc tools like wrenches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
Don't forget safety gear like jack stands, safety glasses, gloves, etc.
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
A more recent purchase is my Craftsman Heavy Duty cordless impact wrench with XCP battery and charger, it's quite nice but more of a luxury to have. Speeds up wheel/tire swaps and great for breaking high torque bolts loose, such as caliper bolts.
This is a nice tool to have. Having to use a breaker bar then a ratchet to remove lugs was a PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
And a good fan to keep you cool while working.
I need to get me a fan. Working in the garage in Texas heat is no fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 04:22 PM   #7
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

In regards to the Lisle brake spreader ... I see 3 of them available on Amazon. One is the dual piston, other is the speedy brake spreader, and the last one is the quick spreader.... All of them have different model numbers. Which one should I get?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #8
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

Also what would you say a good budget air pressure gauge would be? All I have now is a pencil gauge.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 04:45 PM   #9
g2
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash32 View Post
Also what would you say a good budget air pressure gauge would be? All I have now is a pencil gauge.
I was talking to the Bridgestone guys at Barber and they said the digital ones are generally better than most dials until you get into the very expensive ones.

Also, I typically buy gear wrench tools for the garage and then bring craftsman or HF to the track. I think HF is fine for things you use every so often. For stuff you use all the time buy quality name brands you've heard of. Going to be comparable until you get into high dollar stuff.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 04:52 PM   #10
okusa
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 - SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash32
In regards to the Lisle brake spreader ... I see 3 of them available on Amazon. One is the dual piston, other is the speedy brake spreader, and the last one is the quick spreader.... All of them have different model numbers. Which one should I get?
The 29100 Quick Quad Pad Spreader
      05-30-2016, 05:07 PM   #11
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

As far as torque wrench .... Should I totally splurge for a snap on or do you think that a middle line Craftsman would be good
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:12 PM   #12
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash32 View Post
I don't like the digital ones. I've been using this one from Longacre and it has been solid and allows you to get the psi's just right since it has an air bleed valve:

http://www.longacreracing.com/produc...0+by+%C2%BD+lb
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

I have a CDI torque wrench, which is apparently a Snap-On sub-brand. Mine goes from 20-150 lb-ft, no complaints after several years. Sunex also has some great impact sockets -- extra long, thin-wall, and plastic protection sleeve. Highly recommended. The 17mm version is the 284917, available on Amazon separately and as part of a 3-piece set that also includes 19 and 21mm sockets. The nice finish isn't very thick so it'll chip easily, but they work very well especially with wide rear wheels since you don't need a socket extension and you can use the socket to tighten/loosen most of the way by hand more quickly than when you have a tool attached.

I bought an analog dial pressure gauge with a bleed button from a trackside shop years ago. Can't remember the brand, but I can't imagine they're all that different.

Other than that, I'd recommend a pair of jack pad adapters (ECS Tuning) to fit into the rectangular jack point on each side in case you ever double jack, a 1/2" drive breaker bar, a hook and pick set, a pry bar, a small mallet, and a 3/8" drive ratchet set. For that last, I got a Craftsman Max Axess set whose passthrough function has come in handy several times both on the car and around the house, and I bought an adapter to use regular square drive bits with it. Those tools plus my OTC Racing Jack and cigarette lighter air compressor on their own were enough for me to change my brake pads on my StopTech BBK and other basic track tasks. Never needed a pad spreader -- would have made things a bit easier but didn't want to drop the cash on one. I also never used a brake bleeder. Get Castrol SRF and you won't have to bleed between annual flushes anymore.

If you're very serious, look at JackPoint Jackstands. Pricey but makes things much simpler.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 06:02 PM   #14
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I recently picked up some race ramps. Although expensive, I have found them to be very useful.
Attached Images

05-30-2016, 06:09 PM   #15
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
I recently picked up some race ramps. Although expensive, I have found them to be very useful.
What do those do that 1-2 pairs of JackPoint jack stands won't? That seems unnecessarily bulky, unless maybe the work you're doing really needs the extra height off the ground. Otherwise, the stands allow wheels-off work and can be schlepped around much more easily.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 06:11 PM   #16
eddunn
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 m3

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
I have a CDI torque wrench, which is apparently a Snap-On sub-brand. Mine goes from 20-150 lb-ft, no complaints after several years. Sunex also has some great impact sockets -- extra long, thin-wall, and plastic protection sleeve. Highly recommended. The 17mm version is the 284917, available on Amazon separately and as part of a 3-piece set that also includes 19 and 21mm sockets. The nice finish isn't very thick so it'll chip easily, but they work very well especially with wide rear wheels since you don't need a socket extension and you can use the socket to tighten/loosen most of the way by hand more quickly than when you have a tool attached.

I bought an analog dial pressure gauge with a bleed button from a trackside shop years ago. Can't remember the brand, but I can't imagine they're all that different.

Other than that, I'd recommend a pair of jack pad adapters (ECS Tuning) to fit into the rectangular jack point on each side in case you ever double jack, a 1/2" drive breaker bar, a hook and pick set, a pry bar, a small mallet, and a 3/8" drive ratchet set. For that last, I got a Craftsman Max Axess set whose passthrough function has come in handy several times both on the car and around the house, and I bought an adapter to use regular square drive bits with it. Those tools plus my OTC Racing Jack on their own were enough for me to change my brake pads on my StopTech BBK. Never needed a pad spreader -- would have made things a bit easier but didn't want to drop the cash on one. I also never used a brake bleeder. Get Castrol SRF and you won't have to bleed between annual flushes anymore.

If you're very serious, look at JackPoint Jackstands. Pricey but makes things much simpler.
CDI makes the snap on ones, very nice pieces.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 06:54 PM   #17
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
What do those do that 1-2 pairs of JackPoint jack stands won't? That seems unnecessarily bulky, unless maybe the work you're doing really needs the extra height off the ground. Otherwise, the stands allow wheels-off work and can be schlepped around much more easily.
Let you get the car up without breaking a sweat, lol - I have them for the cases where I need to get the car elevated with no need to take wheels off.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 07:11 PM   #18
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

If you can spring for it, get a lift:

Torx set:

Appreciate 1
      05-30-2016, 07:14 PM   #19
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef
They are 100% for convenience. They are light weight and I don't have to lug out 1-2 hydraulic jacks, no Jack stands. I just throw them behind the tires, drive three feet, and I'm ready to rock. mainly got them for oil changes, but I've used them twice swapping my exhaust for a track event.

Last edited by roastbeef; 05-30-2016 at 07:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 09:32 PM   #20
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

The house that is beig built now will have a lift. I have been doing research and will probably post a question about it later. The lift will be in the 3rd garage where 2 vehicles will be stored in one space.
I wanted to know if you could get a 4 post lift which would serve as storage, but then somehow have it function as a 2 post lift to get the wheels off the ground if ever needed.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 09:33 PM   #21
crash32
Private First Class
Rep

When I Googled SNAP ON torque wrench..... A bunch of CDI stuff came up. Is CDI the company that makes Snap On? Is CDI basically the lower tier of Snap On?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2016, 09:36 PM   #22
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash32
When I Googled SNAP ON torque wrench..... A bunch of CDI stuff came up. Is CDI the company that makes Snap On? Is CDI basically the lower tier of Snap On?
Reading reviews on Amazon, I found that they were. However, I'm not telling you that they are. There was one review where the buyer compared it to his friend's snap-on and they were identical.