BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

05-02-2016, 07:42 PM   #1
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Is Mid-Ohio worth the drive?

I live about a 6 hour drive from Mid-Ohio and am wondering if it's worth the trip for a track day/weekend. It's also pricey compared to most other track days.

It's got a lot of history, yes, but is it a fun/safe/novice-friendly track?
      05-02-2016, 10:30 PM   #2
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
I have never been but would love to go. I am glad we passed on the WRL race there a month ago.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 10:47 PM   #3
Killerfish2012
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335I, E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I live about a 6 hour drive from Mid-Ohio and am wondering if it's worth the trip for a track day/weekend. It's also pricey compared to most other track days.

No.

It's very short, and there are walls that beckon noobs like yourself. You have great tracks close by you. As a noob, master Gingerman first. It's safe, and you can't crash. Then do Autobahn, and then when you're ready, road america. Mid Ohio is just not worth it. Like I told you, pitt race if you're going that far east.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 08:41 AM   #4
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
No.

It's very short, and there are walls that beckon noobs like yourself. You have great tracks close by you. As a noob, master Gingerman first. It's safe, and you can't crash. Then do Autobahn, and then when you're ready, road america. Mid Ohio is just not worth it. Like I told you, pitt race if you're going that far east.

Autobahn is less than an hour drive from me, and I really enjoy it! (north, south, and combined)

Have only done Gingerman twice (forward and reverse) and enjoyed that one too.

Sounds like I should be content with what I have.
      05-03-2016, 08:50 AM   #5
Andy_H_E92_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 ///M3

Quote:

Yes, it's worth the trip.

When I lived in NC, I drove 8 hours up to Mid-Ohio for a weekend with the Buckeye Chapter of BMWCCA. They were a cool group... and their DE was cheaper than VIR, Road Atlanta, Summit Point, and COTA.

If I remember correctly, Acura has a racing school there, FWIW.

Last edited by Andy_H_E92_M3; 05-11-2016 at 09:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #6
Andy_H_E92_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There are walls that beckon noobs like yourself.
But the walls make it extra fun!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 08:54 AM   #7
Andy_H_E92_M3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Never be content. That's boring. Drive as many tracks as you can!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:21 AM   #8
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Spend your time at Road America instead.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 09:38 AM   #9
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
Spend your time at Road America instead.
Some day. I've visited countless times for ALMS/Tudor, but it looks like a very demanding track. I do have a BBK now but I'm worried my tires won't last long!
      05-03-2016, 10:07 AM   #10
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

I've come across WAY too many drivers that are masters of one track, and the second you put them on a different track they drive like they've never driven a track before.

If you have the means and the opportunity, drive as MANY different tracks as you can. Because you can never "master" a track, but you can get enough muscle memory in it that you can be very fast at a specific track but suck at just about every other track.

And what is the fun in that?

I used to make an 8+ hour trip to Thunder HIll from Southern California on an annual basis. And that's THUNDER HILL, not some of the more historical tracks like Laguna Seca and Sears Point.

Speaking of Sears, you never know what is going to happen, in a variety of ways, for a variety of reasons, to the operators at a track or the organizations you run with. The group that I usually participate with, BMW CCA in the Pacific Region, used to go to Sears Point way back when it was called Sears Point once a year. I managed to cobble together my old E30 318is and drove up there for an event as a student. Sure, the 318is was down on power riding on all seasons, but I had a blast. Next year it was announced by the organizers that Sears (now Infineon) has priced the track TOO high for weekend rentals and they would have to charge $1,000 per attendee to break even for weekends. They ended up canceling the event due to low attendance, and since then have never gone back to Sears Point. Sometime in the near future I would like to take my MZ4 Coupe back there, but it wouldn't be with one of my favorite groups to run with.
Sitting on a beat-up office chair in front of a 5 year old computer in a basement floor, sipping on stale coffee watching a bunch of meaningless numbers scrolling aimlessly on a dimly lit 19” monitor.
Appreciate 1
      05-03-2016, 10:28 AM   #11
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Some day. I've visited countless times for ALMS/Tudor, but it looks like a very demanding track. I do have a BBK now but I'm worried my tires won't last long!
I personally find high-speed free flowing tracks like RA easier to drive than, say, Autobahn South. Just more time to think about the next corner I suppose. Just don't go too crazy through the kink, and you will be ok.

FYI, PFC08 pads on stock brakes lasted me for the entire weekend last year I was there, and that's with me pushing for sub 2:40 for most of the sessions. With BBK and some proper pads, you will be just fine. Tire wear isn't all that bad, assuming you have some neg camber up front, I would say it is on par with Gingerman.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 10:53 AM   #12
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
I've come across WAY too many drivers that are masters of one track, and the second you put them on a different track they drive like they've never driven a track before.

If you have the means and the opportunity, drive as MANY different tracks as you can. Because you can never "master" a track, but you can get enough muscle memory in it that you can be very fast at a specific track but suck at just about every other track.

And what is the fun in that?

I used to make an 8+ hour trip to Thunder HIll from Southern California on an annual basis. And that's THUNDER HILL, not some of the more historical tracks like Laguna Seca and Sears Point.
^ This man! Sensible.

Mid Ohio is about 6 hours from me as well and I have done it twice and had a great time there. Good flow, elevation changes and you learn something new each time.

My 5 year old lives in London and I take him to Rye House karting (L. Hamilton's play ground) and while he loves that track and wants to keep going there vs Daytona (another track down south with Bambino karts) since its new and unfimiliar, I break the habit. Surface changes, ability to discover grip etc. you will certainly learn.

The reason why club racers (and why UK is the mecca for racing) in Britain are so good is because they can head over to almost a dozen tracks any given weekend with rain/dry, different car setup; all which makes for a better complete driver. Sure we have a disadvantage since tracks are so far away but driving there is 'cost of tuition'.

Do it

Lutfy
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:30 PM   #13
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post

That's how I feel about Autobahn. The south portion is still fairly technical, but the north section has become way too easy. If anything, running combined is still fun because it's actually an endurance thing on me physically/mentally.

Last edited by dparm; 05-03-2016 at 01:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:40 PM   #14
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:

I would say yes if you can get there. I did 3 days there a few years back when BMWCCA Ofest was there, and would love to get back, but haven't managed to find a weekend that suited my schedule. I'm also a bigger fan of the more scenic tracks, such as Road America and Mid-Ohio (and I'm sure others I haven't visited), where the track was built into the landscape, vs. ones where it looks looks they they paved a farm, such as Putnam or Gingerman.

Killerfish, yes, Gingerman is also quite fun, although it seems like it's getting really difficult to find 2 day weekend events there, particularly during the summer (I think the summertime South Haven room rates are getting a bit insane). Weekday events almost require taking 2 days off work. Windy City BMWCCA used to always have a summer event, but ended their annual one several years back. It's a good track if you can something though. I've been thinking of doing their close the track/season ender event, but somehow I seem to always have my car in the shop by then.

Dparm, definitely don't shy away from RA. In addition to being a great track, it is also home to one of the best racing towns out there (Elkhart Lake). I'm planning to do RA for both the MVP track time in July and Ofast (Badger Bimmers BMWCCA) in September, and would be glad to get you acquainted with the track and area. Feel free to PM me for more detail. I've done most of the other local tracks (Grattan being the main exception), but RA is still by far my favorite, and not that dangerous if you don't drive like a bonehead. It is a little pricier than some of the local tracks, but IMO well worth it. It also seems to have far more 2 day weekend options during the summer than almost any other local track, so if you avoid it you really limit your options.
      05-03-2016, 01:41 PM   #15
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I drove 10 hours to get there last year. Definitely worth it.

I drive 8h to Calabogie, 7 to Mt Tremblant, 8 to VIR, 4 to WGI, 2 to Palmer

The only one of these that is not very friendly is WGI as the walls abound.

I really enjoyed MO and will definitely go there again. It's great to learn new tracks and I try to go to as many different ones as possible

BTW, I ran with MORPCA, it was great. I just went for a 3 day weekend and left work at 5pm and I still think it was well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:02 PM   #16
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Mid Ohio is my home track and I'd say it's definitely worth it. Everyone is welcome to their own opinion but I have never personally heard anybody have anything but positive comments about the track. I've run it 5 or 6 times and have never so much as put a wheel off (well maybe 1 wheel a time or two) so I don't think it's unsafe at all. There is only one section coming out of Thunder Valley where you'll come relatively close to a wall but you are actually be turning away from it. Anyway that's my two cents but I may be a little biased. Maybe I'll see you there.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:13 PM   #17
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD3 View Post
I've run it 5 or 6 times and have never so much as put a wheel off (well maybe 1 wheel a time or two) so I don't think it's unsafe at all.:
When I did BMWCCA ofest there, I do recall one person going off in my session and almost flipping into the dirt off 7 -- I think that's called China Beach? Also seem to recall a few other pretty serious offs. That said, it's likely to have been intermediate/advanced students with lots of experience at other tracks (ofest is the national convention for BMWCCA) but not at Mid-Ohio, and not giving it the respect a new track deserves. Like I said earlier, I found it a lot of fun and very scenic, and I really liked the turn with the blind mini-corkscrew/dip.
      05-09-2016, 08:24 AM   #18
JD3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 M3, DCT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber View Post
When I did BMWCCA ofest there, I do recall one person going off in my session and almost flipping into the dirt off 7 -- I think that's called China Beach? Also seem to recall a few other pretty serious offs. That said, it's likely to have been intermediate/advanced students with lots of experience at other tracks (ofest is the national convention for BMWCCA) but not at Mid-Ohio, and not giving it the respect a new track deserves. Like I said earlier, I found it a lot of fun and very scenic, and I really liked the turn with the blind mini-corkscrew/dip.
Yeah, that's a bad place to go off considering its a 90 degree turn after the fastest part of the track. Turn 1 (i think) after the pits is a little scary too, seen offs there. Regardless, like any track it has its dangers but its not an inherently "dangerous" track in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 07:11 AM   #19
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Quote:
Yeah, that's a bad place to go off considering its a 90 degree turn after the fastest part of the track.
Yeah, turn 4 at the end of the long back straight. That's where the impetus for the HANS device started with Patrick Jacquemart's death there hitting the dirt bank so many years ago now. The IMSA GTU class LeCar turbo was a heck of a beast, and Patrick was an incredible driver. 35 years ago now.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2016, 09:31 AM   #20
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Mid Ohio is a fantastic layout and challenging. You do not get many breaks in a higher hp car as even the straights are crooked.

I've had about half a dozen offs there and never hit anything. The high stakes corners tend to spit you into a big gravel trap or lots of grass.

But I prefer Road America. That track is simply world class. And not as hard on equipment as you might think (kink aside, heh) because the straights are long enough that you get a lot of cool down time for brakes and tires in between the fun parts and the air is hitting the car so hard that some lift and coast before the brake zones brings the car back pretty quickly if you start getting too hot. Beautiful scenery great in-season weather and cool local stuff to do off track. My favorite track in Murca

Last edited by Richbot; 05-10-2016 at 10:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:25 AM   #21
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm
Quote:
No.

Autobahn is less than an hour drive from me, and I really enjoy it! (north, south, and combined)

Have only done Gingerman twice (forward and reverse) and enjoyed that one too.

You have to do Road America. That track is amazing. Badger BMW has a HPDE in September

I just put on a track pad and AD08's and had no issues.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2016, 01:34 AM   #22
MRV99
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP / 2017 RRS SC

Garage List
2017 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by swartzentruber
Quote:
I've run it 5 or 6 times and have never so much as put a wheel off (well maybe 1 wheel a time or two) so I don't think it's unsafe at all.:
I was at Octoberfast last year and I only saw/heard the vette and the Jag hitting the wall hard after turn one. Ate dinner with some flaggers who saw both cars hit and said they both had traction control off and it was on there out lap.

There was a green 540/530 who went off after 13 but I don't remember any real damage.

17 M3 ZCP -- 2017 Range Rover Sport SC
--RIP--
12 X5 50i Sport -- 11 M3 DCT -- 2011 X5 50i(Lemon) -- 2008 550 Msport -- 2007 x5 4.8 sport -- 2004 545 sport -- 2002 x5 4.4 sport -- 2001 540i Msport 2000 SL500 -- 1997 SL500
Appreciate 0