BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

10-04-2015, 12:13 AM   #1
cupsm4
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, DCT, Mineral White

Advice needed on new rear tires :)

Hey All,

The time has come to re new my rear tires, I noticed the other day that the inside edge has worn so that the thread is showing on them slightly.

The fronts have plenty of life probably 3/4mm, so the questions I need answering are:

Does it matter if I go for a different tyre on the rear to the front? At the moment it's got the original Michelin pilot sports on there.

Do you advise that I stay with the same make or is there another option that's better for dry grip? If I have traction control completely off its tends to spin up massively as 1st gear changes to 2nd you get loads of spin throughout the gear, also with MDM mode on it tends to cut out the power, I know this is down to the pure power of the car also being RWD but I just wanted to know if this can be improved? My friend has a 2012 C63 and he has continental sports and his doesn't hardly wheelspin at all but I do realise that's because he doesn't have as much torque.

Lastly is it with stretching to 295 instead of 275? Please bear in mind I have 20mm spacers on the rear, if needed I could change them to smaller or even take them off.

Thanks, look forward to your replies.
Dan
Appreciate 0