BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

09-24-2015, 05:36 PM   #1
OzJustin
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i AT Monaco Blue

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [8.66]
BMW Mobility Kit - Compressor

Seeking some advice guys. I went to use the compressor in my mobility kit for the first time the other day and plugged it in to the the cigarette lighter. It worked for about 10 seconds then lost pressure and wouldn't turn on again. I tried it in my wife's Toyota and same thing.

I took the compressor into my local BMW service area thinking it was stuffed but they tested and told me it works perfectly but pulls 15A so likely blew the cigarette fuses (10A apparently) in our two cars. He suggested I connect the compressor directly to the battery via alligator clips/jumper leads. For other users of this kit do you have to do that?

I find it surprising that BMW sell a kit with a cigarette connector that cannot be used for their own cars...

Some silly questions:
- Can someone explain how to connect the compressor. Is it one alligator clip connected to the cigarette cable on the compressor and the other end alligator clip to the positive terminal in the engine bay? Any particular thick/thin cable needed?
- Could I just replace the 10A cigarette fuse with a 15A one or will this create a fire danger?