EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

07-31-2015, 09:10 AM   #1
oslermarines
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428xi

CQuartz, opticoat for alpine white M3

Hi guys I know this has been addressed a few times on this forum but I'm still torn about this.

I will be taking delivery on an alpine white F80 M3 doing a PCD in South Carolina. Historically I have not been an aggressive driver/tailgater. I'm ok with living with a few rock chips and with the alpine white it seems Dr. ColorChip does a decent job. My concern is bugs/gunk staining the car. I just moved to the philly area and was wondering if Cquartz or optiocat are worth it. I got quoted $1300-$1400 for the full car with wheels taken off and coated. It's quite expensive. Is it worth the upfront cost? Also does it provide improved protection against road rash? i plan on washing my car weekly or every two weeks using two bucket method. Doing xpel and coating is just too expensive imo. Just wanted some of your guys' input. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 09:57 AM   #2
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

I would wait until you have the car before getting the price. It's not so much about the coatings, which are all pretty good. It's the paint prep needed. If you take a brand new car in, maybe it will only need minor prep, and be less labor intensive for the detailer. Mine was 3 months old when I had it done (CQ), and needed 2 step paint prep. And I paid a few hundred less than your quote. So maybe try a couple different detailers. In any case, have the wheels and calipers done. Saves you time and effort every time you wash the car.

Enjoy the new M3. And you'll love PCD. They make it a great day.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 07:23 PM   #3
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

That quote seems a bit high imo. As the above post mentioned, I would think they need to see the car to evaluate it. Any decent, honest detailer wouldn't be able to give you a proper quote otherwise. Especially with AW, you may not need more than a jeweling one step polish. A good wash, decon, clay may get you 90% there. For maybe a little more than what you were quoted, you could get a PPF and a full new car detail with coating.

Coatings will offer no protection against rock chips.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 07:33 PM   #4
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

No two coating applications can be compared dollar to dollar. Saying it's too much is only true if they are not giving appropriate value.

Detailing and coating applications are not a commodities.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2015, 08:38 PM   #5
WHK
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oslermarines View Post
I'm ok with living with a few rock chips...
Since it sounds like you aren't ultra picky, here's another option. Just do the whole job yourself. Washing and detailing a car is not a big deal, and it is really easy to put a couple of coats of the consumer grade cQuartz on after that.

This leaves you with about $1200 left in your pocket that of course should be spent on your car. Buy a Kranzle pressure washer and foam lance, and you'll have two superbly made German machines in your garage instead of one.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
manticor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 built july 1...........

I'm thinking about doing Modesta on the car and that's even more expensive than CQuatz. These coatings sure are expensive that's for sure
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

I considered Modesta and cQuartz when i got my car. Ended up doing Opti Gloss Coat as my guy recommended it and it was cheaper. Honestly i couldn't be happier with the way it has performed thus far.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2015, 05:50 PM   #8
Dimitri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 ZCP

$1300-$1400 seems a bit high. I have a buddy of mine that just did opticoat on his S-class and it was $900 with the wheels. It protects from swirls and etc but won't protect from rock chips. Best is to do both, XPel and opti. If you are close to Philly I have a really good guy to do both and very reasonable. PM me if interested and I will send you the info
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
M42N8
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ordering an M550

I was considering doing Modesta as well. But now seeing how cheap Opti Coat is and is DIY, I might just do that, then use the savings on getting the orange peel removed first.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 01:15 PM   #10
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

Cquartz is no substitute for xpel/Suntek clear bras.

I have had both and clear bras really do help. The Cquartz might have made the car alittle easier to wash but it will not protect against road rash or rock chips!!!
Appreciate 0