Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-06-2015, 08:26 PM   #1
EM25
Rep
Drives: 2014 F80 (SS2/SO)

Smile M-Performance Exhaust System

Alright boys, just received a BIG goodie bag last night...

So, I always wanted more performance, and little-bit more aggressive sound to come out of this car (F80).

I decided to purchase an M-Performance exhaust with Titanium tips. Coming from the BMW Team, I'm sure they have spend some the R&D.

And I recently installed Akrapovic's Down-Pipe, I believe this should be a compliment addition to the system. (I heard that Akra also collaborated to design the M-Performance exhaust as well?)

With closer inspections, I am pleased with the craftsmanship; definitely feels lighter and nice weldings all around.

To the owners who has them installed into their ///M's ... please post your good (bad, if any) comments...

Here are some pics... Take a closer look of the last 2 pics, do you guys know why they have weld in the center?

Cheers,
Endra

Attached Images

Last edited by EM25; 06-27-2015 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: youtube
Appreciate 3
      06-06-2015, 10:39 PM   #2
2strokeMe
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 SS 6MT

the thing is $. it sounds great. first thing in the morning fire her up... put it in sport plus immediately and jab the throttle. enjoy!
SS/black | Black 19s | 4 doors | 3 peddles | Zero driver assist crap | Lights and beats | Every M perf carbon piece I could have installed at the port | M perf exhaust | Electronic M wheel | JB4 | KW V3s
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2015, 04:29 AM   #3
j997tt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M DGM/SO

Have MPE and absolutely love it. IMO cold start is a bit harsh sounding but once the car warms up it is incredible. Like the weight reduction and fact it's OEM. I don't have a DP. Enjoy it.
      06-07-2015, 07:24 AM   #4
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by j997tt
Have MPE and absolutely love it. IMO cold start is a bit harsh sounding but once the car warms up it is incredible. Like the weight reduction and fact it's OEM. I don't have a DP. Enjoy it.
Best addition yet to my F80. After about 3 weeks I got a high pitched vibration which my dealer found to be one of my tips being not tightly screwed in. Other than that glitch it's awesome. But bloody hell it is loud. We live in a quiet neighborhood and it sounds like a gang of hells angels are roaming through when I pull out in the morning after a cold start.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #5
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Ftype R, M4

MPE makes the car perfect. I get compliment all the time. Even the haters who said "yea but the new M cars sound like crap and blah blah blah". The look on their face is priceless after they hear the sound.
Appreciate 4
      06-08-2015, 12:10 AM   #6
///bproden
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Looks like such a nice exhaust. Love the oem part too. I'm torn between this or AWE. Can you post a vid when you get that and the dp installed?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2015, 12:40 AM   #7
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMBSSM4

I have the MPE and Akra DPs.
MPE only - startup is a bit loud. when cold it is harsh at about 2k rpm for a minute or so. It also has a little tinny sound. After a couple minutes. sounds great and in Sport+ it gets nice and loud. In normal mode you can barely hear it driving normally under low RPM and with the windows up, sounds stock and no drone.

MPE+Akra - at 7krpm its really loud. Let me put it this way. A guy in a convertible SLK (about 200hp), turned left at a light to a 4 lane road. I was behind him and once on the 4 lane I punched it. they were... 100ft in front of me. he seemed to be fully accelerating. Once I punched it, the passenger looked back because he could hear me coming with his roof down and the wind noise etc.) maybe a second later I past them like they were going backwards. and it sounded glorious. It is pretty crazy for the neighborhood (when under load) so I put it in easy mode when getting close to home.

Did some dynos. see post #59
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...7#post18049017

note I never dyno'd it on 92 octane nor without the exhaust. I doubt the exhaust adds much of anything, or at least bang for the buck, it is pretty spendy.

Last edited by schnazzy; 06-08-2015 at 12:49 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-09-2015, 02:13 PM   #8
Crisis
process in working...
Germany
Rep
Drives: hopefully

I search for the manual to install... any info? Any Youtube videos?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 04:55 AM   #9
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

The welds hold an internal baffle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM25 View Post
. Take a closer look of the last 2 pics, do you guys know why they have weld in the center?
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 09:17 AM   #10
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Congrats on your purchase . I have an MPE and absolutely love it . The sound keeps improving as the exhaust breaks-in. It has a nice deep growl with the valves closed and just howls when they open up .

My understanding is that the MPE was entirely designed internally at BMW without assistance from Akra. There were some early rumors that the F8X MPE was made by Akra as on the M5/6 but those were quickly dispelled.

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #11
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
I search for the manual to install... any info? Any Youtube videos?
The dealer should be able to print it for you. It is 9 pages.BMW says it will take 1 hour to install and suggest up-to .5 hr for troubleshooting.

With 2 people it will take less than an hour.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:04 AM   #12
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///bproden View Post
Looks like such a nice exhaust. Love the oem part too. I'm torn between this or AWE. Can you post a vid when you get that and the dp installed?
That is a very hard choice in deed. Let me just help you with what I found in months of research and spare you the effort of going through it. Both sounds great, AWE would be more aggressive (throatier) compared to MPE. (assumes AWE non-res with stock DPs and res with DPs)

AWE is not as raspy compared to MPE. Some people like the rasp sound. (others with MPE can chime in here)

Those who have MPE swears it and those who have AWE swears by it. So none of them are unhappy that I'm aware of. This means you can't go wrong for either in regard to sound.

With sounds aside, MPE should weigh 20lbs less than AWE (estimated as AWE weigh close to stock, they use thick gauge steel to reduce rasp). MPE tips look nicer compared to AWE. So the choice boils down to money.

About $1k more for an exhaust that is 20lbs lighter and with better looking tips.
      06-10-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
erind
Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: Ftype R, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
That is a very hard choice in deed. Let me just help you with what I found in months of research and spare you the effort of going through it. Both sounds great, AWE would be more aggressive (throatier) compared to MPE. (assumes AWE non-res with stock DPs and res with DPs)

AWE is not as raspy compared to MPE. Some people like the rasp sound. (others with MPE can chime in here)

Those who have MPE swears it and those who have AWE swears by it. So none of them are unhappy that I'm aware of. This means you can't go wrong for either in regard to sound.

With sounds aside, MPE should weigh 20lbs less than AWE (estimated as AWE weigh close to stock, they use thick gauge steel to reduce rasp). MPE tips look nicer compared to AWE. So the choice boils down to money.

About $1k more for an exhaust that is 20lbs lighter and with better looking tips.
My MPE has more rasp when it's cold. It sounds fantastic once it gets warm. AWE sounds also very nice.

You can't go wrong here
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #14
MineralWhiteF80
Dont listen to me
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82, E92 M3, G30 M550i, E46

Not sure if you have installed the exhaust yet but pay close attention when installing the exhaust tips. Each tip is held in by an Allen bolt that clamps the tip to the main muffler section. The Allen bolt has a slight cut in in the side that is designed to deform (strip) the hex portion of the Allen bolt when it is tightened enough.

Before installing each tip, gently screw each Allen bolt into the tip and then back out to make sure the threads are clean and the Allen bolt turns cleanly through the threads in the tip.

One of my tips had a slightly cross threaded hole which created enough resistance to break (strip) the Allen bolt when tightening it. This meant the tip was not properly clamped to the muffler and could easily be pulled off, and definitely would have fallen off when driving. With that said, that Allen bolt could not be used anymore because the Allen wrench would spin inside the deformed Allen bolt. I had to extract the broken/stripped Allen bolt and then source a new bolt with the proper thread pitch/diameter so I could properly tighten the tip to the muffler.

Make sure you give each tip a good tug to make sure it is properly tightened onto the muffler.
Appreciate 2
      06-10-2015, 08:12 PM   #15
cars88
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4, 2013 750i M

Best part of my whole car! It's a game changer, makes the car feel exotic.
Appreciate 1
      06-10-2015, 09:59 PM   #16
EM25
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post
Not sure if you have installed the exhaust yet but pay close attention when installing the exhaust tips. Each tip is held in by an Allen bolt that clamps the tip to the main muffler section. The Allen bolt has a slight cut in in the side that is designed to deform (strip) the hex portion of the Allen bolt when it is tightened enough.

Before installing each tip, gently screw each Allen bolt into the tip and then back out to make sure the threads are clean and the Allen bolt turns cleanly through the threads in the tip.

One of my tips had a slightly cross threaded hole which created enough resistance to break (strip) the Allen bolt when tightening it. This meant the tip was not properly clamped to the muffler and could easily be pulled off, and definitely would have fallen off when driving. With that said, that Allen bolt could not be used anymore because the Allen wrench would spin inside the deformed Allen bolt. I had to extract the broken/stripped Allen bolt and then source a new bolt with the proper thread pitch/diameter so I could properly tighten the tip to the muffler.

Make sure you give each tip a good tug to make sure it is properly tightened onto the muffler.
Thanks for your advice. MPE has been installed into the F80, will pick it up later today... I will re-check the Ti tips again.

rgds,
EM
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:37 PM   #17
EM25
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDragon View Post
sound clips!
I will install GoPro this weekend run...

stay tuned...
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 10:47 PM   #18
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM25 View Post
I will install GoPro this weekend run...

stay tuned...
I'm very interested to hearing your feedback on MPE + DPs. Also, keep in mind they do have a break-in period. They start out soft, then gets louder after 2k miles. So don't be upset if they're not loud enough out of the box.
      06-10-2015, 11:38 PM   #19
schnazzy
Lieutenant
Rep

my mpe is broken in and I just added akra DPs, it's definitely louder in sport+ amazingly mild in efficient mode. more rasp when cold.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 11:41 PM   #20
8600RPM
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Is it nice and raspy warmed up too? Way louder with dps?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 03:57 AM   #21
EM25
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNoSol View Post
I'm very interested to hearing your feedback on MPE + DPs. Also, keep in mind they do have a break-in period. They start out soft, then gets louder after 2k miles. So don't be upset if they're not loud enough out of the box.
Just collected my car from the shop..
I will take a better video over the weekend.

my current setup:
- Macth Schnell EVC
- Akrapovic Down-Pipes
- M Perfomance exhaust

During the recording, the car is still on Efficient Mode with Open Valves.

Last edited by EM25; 06-14-2015 at 01:59 AM.. Reason: embedding youtube
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2015, 07:01 AM   #22
Lojs
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 f82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralWhiteF80 View Post

I have also been unlucky to destroy one of the bolts. Can you share the specs?
Appreciate 0