BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

05-11-2015, 10:43 AM   #1
AnthemX
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M Sport

JL Audio XD600/6 V2 install with Technics Amp harness.

Just though I would post a few pictures of my install for those looking to upgrade their stock HiFi amp to a JL Audio 600/6 V2. I have to say the sound quality is night and day and the installation was really easy with Technics wiring harness. The most challenging piece was figuring out how to run the power cable back to the battery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
znaut3.00
      05-11-2015, 11:19 AM   #2
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 135i , '15 X3 35i

Nice, thanks for taking the time to post pics. Always fund / informative to see what people do.

The power cable, coming out of the well where the amp is - even though it's fused at the battery you might still consider extra insurance against it eventually rubbing through? Smoothing the metal a bit with a file, maybe a piece of rubber laid between, or otherwise. It's probably good to go for years, maybe forever, but having had an issue with that in the past on another car I'll mention it as something for you to think about.

BTW, just curious, how did you route the power output? That is - the 6 channels to the front / rear / underseat / maybe a new sub?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
AnthemX
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracer bullet View Post
The power cable, coming out of the well where the amp is - even though it's fused at the battery you might still consider extra insurance against it eventually rubbing through?

BTW, just curious, how did you route the power output? That is - the 6 channels to the front / rear / underseat / maybe a new sub?
Thanks for the input. Although it appears as though the power cable is rubbing on the panel seam between the fender well and the trunk floor, there is actually about 3/4" of clearance. I've provided plenty slack so it's loop above it safely. I'll probably install a stick-on cable tie just to make sure it doesn't move down the next time I have the panel off tweak the crossovers.

The six output channels power the stock Hifi speakers and under-seat subs. I though I would have to scrap the stock speakers asap but they actually sound pretty good with just an simple amp upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2015, 07:06 PM   #4
gabsean
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Convertible

Nice write up and pix!
Im having a hard time getting in touch with technic for the harness
How did you get in touch with him?
I have tried sending messages thru website technic pnp but have gotten no response
did you consider the match pp82dsp?
Its a lot more $ and I would like to keep this as cheap as possible being its only my weekend ride
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
AnthemX
Enlisted Member
Rep

I got a hold of him with a Private message on this forum. JL Audio consistently gets rave reviews so that what I went with. Perfect match for the OEM head unit.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 07:48 PM   #6
titium
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 135i

did you upgrade speakers at the same time? how big of a difference is this over the stock amp on stock speakers?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 11:40 AM   #7
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by titium View Post
did you upgrade speakers at the same time? how big of a difference is this over the stock amp on stock speakers?
Already answered:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthemX View Post
The six output channels power the stock Hifi speakers and under-seat subs. I though I would have to scrap the stock speakers asap but they actually sound pretty good with just an simple amp upgrade.
I have the HK system, so it's not the same, but I can agree that the stock underseat mids certainly sound better with the additional amplification. Well, they are capable of more bass than before at least, though I'm sure my bandpassing their signal isn't hurting anything either.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2015, 12:40 PM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Thanks for putting this thread together. I am sure it will help others who are looking for better sound.

Dack
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2015, 01:32 AM   #9
Venoml2k
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i

Thanks for the pictures! This thread along with another one I found got me to give this a shot. I thought the car sounded better with the stock amp at first and was a bit disheartened, but after tweaking the gains and filters it really makes a nice difference.
I have a question for you or someone that may be able to answer it.
I'd like to connect a self amplified bazooka I have in my closet to get a bit more bottom out of the system. It is a 8" bazooka el, and has both low level and I high level inputs. Would you suggest using the high level inputs shared off of one of the rca sets coming out of the harness?
Any suggestions?
Btw my settings on the amp were a bit different than the ones I have seen or read of so I'll list them in case someone wants to try them.
Front set gain around 8.5 and hpf just before the 200
Rear set gain around 7-7.5 and hpf just before the 200
Subs gain is around 10 and lpf just before the 500 actually 2 clicks from the end.
I tried most genres of music and this seemed to work the best for me over all.
This was with base and treble at 0 btw
Appreciate 1
znaut3.00
      09-12-2015, 09:54 AM   #10
tracer bullet
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Off the top I'd say to use low level inputs if you have them, high level as a plan B. And of course be sure to have good (fused) power and ground connections and give it a shot.
Appreciate 0