Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-26-2015, 07:10 AM   #1
jwilliams
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Oil Cooler Protection Cover

Since the few threads of M3/M4's destroying engines due to taking out the super vulnerable oil cooler located at the front air damn. I am wondering whether anyone is making a ally cover or something stronger.

I would make my own but i have a full time job that wont allow enough time on it. Are their any tuners etc willing to make one without putting the M tax or supply and demand tax on us customers.

Last edited by jwilliams; 02-26-2015 at 07:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 08:04 AM   #2
Blksnowflake
Mlightened
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yaz M3

Interesting. How many people have in their time of driving cars ever crashed their car or run over something that affected that exact area from the bottom of the car.
I never have. I think the car is fine and we should stop worrying.....really. No need to panic.

I'm more concerned that a normal fender bender that is usually a couple thousand dollars on a bumper replacement and some cosmetic work can possibly mean a new engine with this car.
Bottom line for me is that if anything, I mean anything happens to the front of the car, pull over, stop the car, turn it off immediately and conduct an inspection of this exact area for any sign of fluid. Other than that, we could put an adamantium shield over it and won't protect it from a frontal crash and that pipe that the young lady ran over caused enough damage that I think even if it had a metal shield it would have still been damaged, unless it was a 30lbs quarter inch cold forged piece of metal covering it.

At this point I'm just going to keep doing what I've always done and enjoy the car as is, if I were to feel that this design is really bad(which I don't) I would just trade the car and say hi C63, no point living in worry and fear. Either you think it's a problem or you don't, I'm in the not a problem camp.
Now that issue with rods and oil on the last V8 I'm reading about seems like a real issue, no way I'd own a car like that.
My .02 cents
Appreciate 0