R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

02-02-2015, 12:11 AM   #1
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Secondary Cats and Emissions?

For systems, like the Akra Evo, Eisenmann, that replace the midpipe and secondary cats, do they effect emissions so that the car would fail smog?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 01:03 AM   #2
///M Villain
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M4

From what I've been told, no. The secondary cat's can be removed from the stock exhaust as well. The data for emissions is coming from the downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:30 AM   #3
irablumberg
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5 Competition

From what we have seen of stock and aftermarket exhausts, there are no O2 sensors behind the secondary cats. Thus, removing them will not cause a CEL. However, the real question is can the car pass a tail pipe sniffer test without these cats and if so, does the engine need to be fully warmed up?

I believe that the purpose of secondary cats is additional exhaust filtering for times when the primary cats are not up to full operating temperature and thus are not working at full efficiency.

Anyone know?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2015, 10:42 AM   #4
LukasAT
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by irablumberg View Post
From what we have seen of stock and aftermarket exhausts, there are no O2 sensors behind the secondary cats. Thus, removing them will not cause a CEL. However, the real question is can the car pass a tail pipe sniffer test without these cats and if so, does the engine need to be fully warmed up?

I believe that the purpose of secondary cats is additional exhaust filtering for times when the primary cats are not up to full operating temperature and thus are not working at full efficiency.

Anyone know?
I would also like to know that. In VA we have to do emissions test and will you pass that without 2nd cats?
      01-18-2019, 05:24 PM   #5
agentrnge
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT, 2001 740iL

Bumping this old post. Also looking for this info. Love the sound the AA midpipes to get rid of rasp, but that deletes the secondary cat. Any confirmation/source its for warm up only? How important is it for emissions? No CELs?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2019, 05:32 PM   #6
ThatSquirrelPoweredE90
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 i3 REx, '02 4Runner

For Californians like myself, we're pretty screwed. When our models show up on their computer, it will state that there are 4 catalytic converters for the car. It will also give a vague description on where the cats are located on the car.(2 on exhaust manifold and 2 under the car) Now taking the gamble of how lenient your smog shop is, they may see a red flag when they only count two cats. Your car will pass the computer, but not the visual. But again, it can really depend on your smog shop.

Fun side story When I was trying to smog my 2010 335i, I forgot I had a JB+ that was connected to the MAF sensor. I mean, you really had to dig into the car with a mirror to find it, but the guy doing my smog found it and failed me LOL He also mentioned I should take off my metal charge pipe since it wasn't stock(like that has to do with emissions ) Quickly took off the JB+ and went to another shop right after and passed
Appreciate 0