European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

01-25-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
BMW_B3AST
Just skipping along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' E93 M3

How BAD are our tires?

Whats up Fam,

So I am wondering how bad the stock performance tires are on 19".

Specifically in freezing weather and snow conditions.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 03:05 PM   #2
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

In freezing weather... slippery and potentially dangerous in an emergency situation.

In snow/ice... 50/50 odds you don't hit a pole if you can get moving at all. If there is snow on the road with the stock PSS, I would not drive the car. You could get stuck on even a very slight incline.

Bottom line is that you can drive the car on cold, dry streets with the PSS with care. Driving in snow and ice with them is just stupid and irresponsible and you would be asking for an accident. Could you possibly do it in an emergency? Sure. Would I EVER, EVER choose to do it... nope.

Michelin warns not to use them in freezing or snowy conditions.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 03:18 PM   #3
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
In freezing weather... slippery and potentially dangerous in an emergency situation.

In snow/ice... 50/50 odds you don't hit a pole if you can get moving at all. If there is snow on the road with the stock PSS, I would not drive the car. You could get stuck on even a very slight incline.

Bottom line is that you can drive the car on cold, dry streets with the PSS with care. Driving in snow and ice with them is just stupid and irresponsible and you would be asking for an accident. Could you possibly do it in an emergency? Sure. Would I EVER, EVER choose to do it... nope.

Completely agree.

I would argue it doesn't even have to be freezing. The rubber compounds used in performance tires really aren't suited for temperatures under ~40F. They become too hard and therefore can't maintain proper contact area with the road.

Winter tires are not just about the extra tread and snipe patterns. The rubber compound plays a huge safety role in colder conditions and you will find far superior performance in dry and wet conditions when the temperatures are in the <40F range.
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:10 PM   #4
BMW_B3AST
Just skipping along
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Wow, I am supposed to shoot out tomorrow and get my car from the dealership and he warned me its going to got be bad and get worse Tuesday so now i have to consider waiting until Wednesday for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:11 PM   #5
BMW_B3AST
Just skipping along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
Completely agree.

I would argue it doesn't even have to be freezing. The rubber compounds used in performance tires really aren't suited for temperatures under ~40F. They become too hard and therefore can't maintain proper contact area with the road.

Winter tires are not just about the extra tread and snipe patterns. The rubber compound plays a huge safety role in colder conditions and you will find far superior performance in dry and wet conditions when the temperatures are in the <40F range.
Thanks for the help, would you happen to know if the bmw dealerships usually have winter tires in stock, because if i get my car tomorrow throwing a pair of winters on the rear would be a great choice.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:23 PM   #6
JDS
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2021 MBB F97 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_B3AST View Post
Thanks for the help, would you happen to know if the bmw dealerships usually have winter tires in stock, because if i get my car tomorrow throwing a pair of winters on the rear would be a great choice.
Looking at the news tonight, your area is supposed to get pounded in an epic storm. Good luck! If that is the case, it really doesn't matter what tires you have on. I don't know of any that claim performance in ?20" of snow

As for the dealers stocking them, you will just have to call around. The standard BMW OEM set up for the F8x was in limited supply for a while, but things have supposed to have eased up. That being said, I got lucky since my dealer had a set that was ordered by a guy 4 months earlier but decided to move to Miami.

The OEM set is the 640M and are available in 18" and 19" variants. I went with the 18" opting for a bit of extra cushioning and protection from the potholes we see around here in the winter.
Gone: 2015 F80 M3 - Mineral Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
You could always chain it.. or my recommendation is just get some nylon rope and make a chain around the tires. Then cut it off once you get home, just make sure you clear the brakes and its tight. Its not ideal but would allow you to get the car, but 20 inches is a lot for anything.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:02 PM   #8
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:

^ This
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 07:56 PM   #9
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:

Yes.

Honestly, put off the delivery until the storm is over. These tires will be extremely dangerous but, frankly, nothing you can buy would help you out with a storm like that moving in.

Safety for you, your ride and other people ahead of getting this car 2 days earlier.......
      01-25-2015, 08:06 PM   #10
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Snow or ice, no go. Cold weather, not a problem if you have any experience in driving in anything but warm dry weather. Freezing temps is no worse than rain for example and way better than gravel roads.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 08:19 PM   #11
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
You better pick the car up early before the snow hits. Once the streets get covered, you won't be driving that thing for a few days.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 08:24 PM   #12
gojumatt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M4

Im in nebraska. Mild winter so far. No problems in the teens. Just drive conservative, full traction control. No close calls, even when wet and cold. But looking at the tires, they remind me more of my old autocross r1's. Agree, wouldnt tempt fate on ice/snow.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 08:34 PM   #13
goneloco
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
My car was ready the beginning of last week but I told the dealer I wouldn't take it without snows. They didn't have them in stock but got them in 2 days. Then I picked up the car.

To explain why I hadn't planned ahead for the snows: the car was ordered in November for a March PCD. But dealer ordered wrong and car came early to the dealer. They were going to let me order another car but once I saw it I was done for. So the dealer is going to pick up M Driving School.
2003 M3 Coupe (Sold)
1998 M3 Sedan (RIP)
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 09:35 PM   #14
F80M4ROCKS
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_B3AST View Post
Whats up Fam,

So I am wondering how bad the stock performance tires are on 19".

Specifically in freezing weather and snow conditions.

Thanks in advance!
Having driven in the 1-2 inches of snow with the PSS before switching out to continental DWS I can personally tell you to not dare drive these PSS in the snow. These tires are awful in the snow, literally 0 traction and going up a minor incline is an obstacle. Would def not recommend driving in snow let alone ice. Be safe!

On a side the DWS have been fine for me in the snow so far, very good performance.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 10:22 PM   #15
BurnMeWallet
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 on it's way

My wife took the M3 out with 1/2 an inch of snow on the ground. Let's put it this way. She couldn't make it past the first stop sign! Leave the M3 at the dealership! Why do you want to take delivery in shit weather? You really wanna drive your brand new car in the grayish/white snow in nyc? Where are you going to park? It's gonna sit anyway for a couple of day, not like you gonna be able to drive it. I rather let all the weather past and pick up a nicely detailed car this weekend..
Appreciate 0