proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > F80 M3 / M4 Pricing, Ordering, European Delivery

01-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #1
slynchRVA
Private
Rep
Drives: car

ED DElivery on 4/13 - Winter Tires? What would you do?

I have a minor dilemma here and I would like your collective wisdom to help me figure out what to do.

I have a confirmed ED delivery date of April 13th, which is 2 days before the mandatory winter tire restriction ends in Germany (April 15th). I haven't fully planned my trip yet but my rough plan is to do this: Munich > Neuschwanstein > Lake Como > Lucerne > Stuttgart > Munich. Lake Como or Lucerne might get dropped due to having a tight schedule. Any suggestions on literary are also welcome...I digress.

I'm worried about 2 things really. The first is getting busted by the authorities and whatever repercussions that may entail. I'm not really trying to get in any trouble in a foreign country if I can help it. The second is driving through the Alps with summer tires, especially since this is my first RWD car and first manual to boot.

Obviously, setting April 15th as the end of the restriction is somewhat arbitrary and the difference between April 13th and April 15th is fairly minimal. It obviously ends in mid April for a good reason, but technically I still need winter tires for at least a portion of my trip.

So what to do? Do I get/rent winter tires or not? Do I only get them for a partial period? Do I risk it? Do I play it conservatively? Is April in the Alps drivable on summers?

BTW - M3, SS/Black, 6MT, Executive, Drivers Assistance, Lighting - EXCITED!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:50 PM   #2
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
I wouldn't sweat it unless you know for sure that you'll be driving in snowy/icy conditions. I did mine at the end of October, and although the weather forecast didn't show that I'll need it, the weather changed last minute and was a combination of wet and cold in the mountains. Definitely glad that I did rent them.

Also depends on the length of your trip since an extended rental can get really pricey.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2015, 09:54 PM   #3
///M///
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 Manual AW F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by slynchvt View Post
I have a minor dilemma here and I would like your collective wisdom to help me figure out what to do.

I have a confirmed ED delivery date of April 13th, which is 2 days before the mandatory winter tire restriction ends in Germany (April 15th). I haven't fully planned my trip yet but my rough plan is to do this: Munich > Neuschwanstein > Lake Como > Lucerne > Stuttgart > Munich. Lake Como or Lucerne might get dropped due to having a tight schedule. Any suggestions on literary are also welcome...I digress.

I'm worried about 2 things really. The first is getting busted by the authorities and whatever repercussions that may entail. I'm not really trying to get in any trouble in a foreign country if I can help it. The second is driving through the Alps with summer tires, especially since this is my first RWD car and first manual to boot.

Obviously, setting April 15th as the end of the restriction is somewhat arbitrary and the difference between April 13th and April 15th is fairly minimal. It obviously ends in mid April for a good reason, but technically I still need winter tires for at least a portion of my trip.

So what to do? Do I get/rent winter tires or not? Do I only get them for a partial period? Do I risk it? Do I play it conservatively? Is April in the Alps drivable on summers?

BTW - M3, SS/Black, 6MT, Executive, Drivers Assistance, Lighting - EXCITED!
From what I have experienced the authorities in Europe are pretty strict and good at their jobs. If I were you, I would keep the stock tires, take delivery and park the car for 2 days and tour all around Munich. On April 15th feel free to drive the alps or wherever you want to go.

My Amazing European Delivery Story
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 01:56 AM   #4
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

I'm sure someone from Germany can better state this, but my understanding of the law from the last time I did ED in Germany was that you are legal to drive on the roadway if there are not snowy or icy conditions. If it's 75F outside, and you're on summer tires, you should be fine. Best to check the weather forecast as far out as you can, and see what's going on around Munich and the towns you're expecting to go.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 06:24 AM   #5
apexes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

If it were me I would skip the winter tires in April. Snow tires are mandatory when the conditions deem them necessary. If you are involved in an accident you would assume liability or fault without winter tires installed during the winter time period, otherwise it is not enforceable. Keep an eye on the forecast and make your decision as your trip draws closer.

Congrats, and enjoy your trip! Look forward to seeing some pics

2023 M3 - Grigio Telesto Pearl
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:25 PM   #6
slynchRVA
Private
Rep

Thanks for the input - looks like I'll be waiting until much closer to my delivery date.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 12:33 PM   #7
OneRib
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

I agree that checking the weather is key.
Play it on the conservative side. My concern is it's your first manual and RWD car.
With the amount of torque on the M3/M4, you need to be careful. It's going to be enough dealing with just that. Adding in the foreign countries makes it even more difficult.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 04:48 PM   #8
edwinm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

BMW NA kept stressing the need of winter tires for my delivery even though I got them long time ago. They are pretty strict with that apparently

Grigio Telesto M4, 6MT.
Coyote 5.0 F-150
991 GT3
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 10:56 PM   #9
rebirth24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I am picking up on 4/14 and plan on skipping the winter tires. Hopefully this won't be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 12:40 AM   #10
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Munich > Neuschwanstein > Lake Como > Lucerne > Stuttgart > Munich. Lake Como or Lucerne might get dropped due to having a tight schedule. Any suggestions on literary are also welcome
Kinda hard to tell your goals with your itinerary, but here are a few thoughts:

(1.) We tried to drive Lugano to Como via SS340 and ... never again. Others have had a good experience but I'd never try it again

(2.) The side roads in Switzerland are awesome - I'd try to spend more time there and skip the lakes and/or Lake Como

(3.) If you do the Swiss passes and are on limited time, pick the lesser travelled ones - they're fantastic. Sustenstrasse is just south of Lucern, easy to drive there and back in a few hours, not much traffic, and totally worth it.

Quote:
I'm worried about 2 things really. The first is getting busted by the authorities and whatever repercussions that may entail. I'm not really trying to get in any trouble in a foreign country if I can help it.
you'll be fine on tires, especially in Switzerland or Italy which have no laws requiring them (except when obviously needed). Avoid Austria until after the 15th. Just ensure you check the weather and the passes. Here are the laws:

Germany
Winter tires are compulsory in Bavaria when driving in wintry conditions and a small fine will be levied for a first offence. If, however, the free flow of traffic has been affected due to a car not being equipped with Winter tires then the fine is doubled and the driver's license will incur a penalty point. In the event of a car fitted with Summer tires being responsible for a road accident then the fine will be further increased and 3 penalty points attributed to the license. The lack of Winter tires in such a situation will usually be judged as a significant factor in judging which driver is at fault in a traffic incident or road accident. The user of a vehicle without Winter tires may well find the motor insurance to be invalidated.

Austria
The use of winter tires is mandatory by law between November 1 and April 15. All-season tires comply if they carry the M+S mark and have at least 4 mm of tread. In addition, the use of snow chains may be made compulsory by the local police when heavy snow is falling or has fallen. Failure to comply with the law results in a fine up to 5,000 Euros and the vehicle's use suspended. Insurance is deemed void if a vehicle which is involved in an accident between November 1 and April 15 is not fitted with Winter tires.

France
The use of winter tires is not mandatory in France. Nevertheless in some situations special signs indicate that winter tires should be used. In mountainous areas signs warn drivers that snow chains are necessary. In France, drivers of automobiles that weigh up to 3.5 tonnes can use spikes from November until the end of March. Vehicles using spikes are restricted to a maximum speed of 90 km/h on out-of-town roads and 50 km/h in residential areas. In addition vehicles have to bare a badge indicating the use of spikes.

Switzerland
The Swiss regulations are similar to those used in France. There is no general obligation to use winter tires, although most motorist associations highly recommend the use of winter tires for insurance reasons. If an accident has been caused by the use of summer tires during the winter months this can lead to liability on the part of the driver, regardless of whether or not they have fully comprehensive insurance. Snow chains and spikes are generally optional, but their use can be enforced through road signs. Drivers using spikes are not generally allowed on motorways. Again, 50km/h and 80km/h speed limits are in place, in and out of town.

Italy
It is not compulsory to use winter tires in Italy although you are obliged to when the authorities request it. There are no regulations on the use of snow chains. Motorists using spikes have to comply with 90km/h and 50 km/h speed limits.

Last edited by GrussGott; 01-24-2015 at 12:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      01-25-2015, 09:01 PM   #11
slynchRVA
Private
Rep

Thanks all for the input. You guys provided some great information here
Appreciate 0