BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA

01-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #1
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Lots of shady sellers in NY/NJ

Hey guys,

This is the 3rd time I go to see a car around NYC area (I live close to NC)and sellers never disclose paint work on car and end up wasting time and money to travel. They either claim they didn't know about it or they claim they overlooked at it. REALLY?!!

I don't understand why there are so many of these sellers around there. I have tried to see other cars in other state and I didn't find as many dishonest sellers as there in NYC. How do I deal with seller like these if I am out of state buyer

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 12:12 AM   #2
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Simple, don't buy from here

Cars been through salt, more rust

Unless the vehicle is fairly new, i wouldn't even consider it unless it's a beater. I drove all the way to Florida to pick up my 2nd M3
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 12:15 AM   #3
STooK
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Just curious why you are looking to buy a car in NYC if you live in NC? I would imagine prices would be lower there than here. Also, this is why I ponyed up the extra cash and went with the stealership…although they can be dishonest too, it felt safer than buying from a complete stranger.

Unfortunately, if you are buying from out of state there's really no way to know if a car is as advertised from an online ad. If you know someone that lives in NY area that you trust, you can have them go check out the car for you but besides that…you might be better buying locally. And definitely stay away from little mom and pop dealerships even if the deal seems too good to be true. (it usually is)
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 12:21 AM   #4
Cassius
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Who buys cars from NYC?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 12:31 AM   #5
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Definitely NY/NJ cars are the worst that I have seen. I am sure they were beaten up in snow/salt and potholes but what I have noticed is prices are lower than where I live. Lesson learned !
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #6
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90-335i
Hey guys,

This is the 3rd time I go to see a car around NYC area (I live close to NC)and sellers never disclose paint work on car and end up wasting time and money to travel. They either claim they didn't know about it or they claim they overlooked at it. REALLY?!!

I don't understand why there are so many of these sellers around there. I have tried to see other cars in other state and I didn't find as many dishonest sellers as there in NYC. How do I deal with seller like these if I am out of state buyer

May I suggest something? On the 5 series forum a member who lived far away like you was interested in a car in Brooklyn. I offered to go see it for him just as a favor to a fellow member. I was just helping out. In the end he made the trip up and I think he got the car. He also sent me a Starbucks gift card which was totally unnecessary (I did it just to help out), but it was totally appreciated. Maybe you can do something like that???

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #7
jbjones85
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 Jeep SRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LISSA View Post
May I suggest something? On the 5 series forum a member who lived far away like you was interested in a car in Brooklyn. I offered to go see it for him just as a favor to a fellow member. I was just helping out. In the end he made the trip up and I think he got the car. He also sent me a Starbucks gift card which was totally unnecessary (I did it just to help out), but it was totally appreciated. Maybe you can do something like that???
I have gone and checked out cars for members (other forum i am active on) in this type of situation as well. a good option and most people are willing to help a fellow member out.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
s85e90
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: black e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90-335i View Post
Hey guys,

Buy my e90 m3 in Florida. I can help arrange a flight or shipping also.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 10:54 AM   #9
M3LISSA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 COMP/SOLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjones85
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3LISSA View Post
I have gone and checked out cars for members (other forum i am active on) in this type of situation as well. a good option and most people are willing to help a fellow member out.
Agreed! It's the nice thing to do. I can't help being nice ;-) most of the time

2011 E90 M3 Competition // Alpine White // ESS // RPI // 20" BBS LM's, blah blah

2021 G80 M3 Competition // Brooklyn Grey // KW Suspension // 12mm Spacers all around // Resonator Delete
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2015, 03:45 PM   #10
Jinobee
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 m3

I bought my car from ct you should look around there
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 04:25 PM   #11
RIZZYRAY
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

There Are Shady Sellers/people Everywhere, They Aren't Exclusive To Ny/nj.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 06:44 PM   #12
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIZZYRAY View Post
There Are Shady Sellers/people Everywhere, They Aren't Exclusive To Ny/nj.
Yes there are shady sellers everywhere but I am talking about my experience with NY/NJ because I have seen 3 cars with 3 shady sellers. I have checked other areas and most of sellers I have seen where pretty honest. I am just talking based on my experience!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #13
BMWNORTHAMERICA
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Alpine White M3 DCT

I would just stay away from NYC, NJ is better but NYC most cars are shot. You will see amazing deals in NYC but thats because there beat to shiit. Most city cars are beat up. Good luck with your search.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 08:49 PM   #14
mebeck
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Having lived in the city with various cars for over 20 years, I can say it's a hard place to keep nice things... and nothing sucks more than finding your car damaged by some idiot who didn't know how to park or open their door with more care. There's no right way to keep a car in the city-- I've had more expensive damage done in garages than on the street-- it's really a coin-flip every time you bring your car over a bridge or tunnel. Dings, etc... happen here with a lot more frequency, and, as a owner, you can either live with the daily reminders or get them fixed. While we're all discerning, I would suggest that these choices are more common here than in most other places, so the line between 'pristine' and 'clean' really comes down to how and where the work was done, rather than if it was done in the first place. If you like the car, I think you're as safe pulling the trigger in NYC as you are anywhere else.

Without reservation, repairs should **always** be disclosed. Unfortunately, there are potentially shady folks on both sides of any deal.

The NYC area has a great M community, and lots of good shops, groups, and people to help you out as you're looking. All that expense in travel to get disappointed truly sucks-- OP, definitely reach out to someone on the board or insist on the seller doing a check with a local dealership, if you're coming from that far away.

Good luck with finding the car that's right for you!
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #15
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebeck View Post
Having lived in the city with various cars for over 20 years, I can say it's a hard place to keep nice things... and nothing sucks more than finding your car damaged by some idiot who didn't know how to park or open their door with more care. There's no right way to keep a car in the city-- I've had more expensive damage done in garages than on the street-- it's really a coin-flip every time you bring your car over a bridge or tunnel. Dings, etc... happen here with a lot more frequency, and, as a owner, you can either live with the daily reminders or get them fixed. While we're all discerning, I would suggest that these choices are more common here than in most other places, so the line between 'pristine' and 'clean' really comes down to how and where the work was done, rather than if it was done in the first place. If you like the car, I think you're as safe pulling the trigger in NYC as you are anywhere else.

Without reservation, repairs should **always** be disclosed. Unfortunately, there are potentially shady folks on both sides of any deal.

The NYC area has a great M community, and lots of good shops, groups, and people to help you out as you're looking. All that expense in travel to get disappointed truly sucks-- OP, definitely reach out to someone on the board or insist on the seller doing a check with a local dealership, if you're coming from that far away.

Good luck with finding the car that's right for you!
Thanks for your kind words!

I just want to point out the words in bold. Any repairs done on car should be disclosed. Unfortunately, shady sellers I met specially the last one, doesn't consider a repainted hood as something that needs to be disclosed (and I shouldn't according to him consider this as a deal breaker) since there was no accident and he just painted it because of the massive chips the car had.

Also, I wasn't expecting the car to be in perfect condition. At the end of the day I am buying a used car not a brand new. I am expecting a wear and tear on car but paint work is not considered a normal wear and tear. I just hate it when some shady seller tells me you are buying a used car. Yes I am buying a used car but doesn't mean I am buying a car that has ben wrecked lol
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2015, 10:17 PM   #16
mebeck
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Thanks for your kind words!

I just want to point out the words in bold. Any repairs done on car should be disclosed. Unfortunately, shady sellers I met specially the last one, doesn't consider a repainted hood as something that needs to be disclosed (and I shouldn't according to him consider this as a deal breaker) since there was no accident and he just painted it because of the massive chips the car had.

Also, I wasn't expecting the car to be in perfect condition. At the end of the day I am buying a used car not a brand new. I am expecting a wear and tear on car but paint work is not considered a normal wear and tear. I just hate it when some shady seller tells me you are buying a used car. Yes I am buying a used car but doesn't mean I am buying a car that has ben wrecked lol
This is a tough place for any seller to be in-- if he keeps the chips, there are buyers who complain about the maintenance. If he paints the hood, he gets grief over the hood being repainted. Would be interested in taking a poll on the preference.

Seller should have said something, but the questions should be: 1) how bad was the initial damage?, 2) was the respray done by a certified or shop with great reputation? 3) how was the result? Again, dents and dings around here are more common-- paint work is repair and maintenance like everything else. It only matters if it was done poorly. Get the name of the shop that did the work. If the seller cared enough to get it done right, it could say a lot for the car's maintenance, in general. If the car was treated right, you'll be enjoying it trouble-free with a huge daily grin-- and the paint on your hood won't matter so much.

Sometimes personalities rub, but I wouldn't let that get in the way. Push for a mechanical check at a local BMW dealer or shop, and get the deal you want.

However it works out, I have no dog in this fight, other than to say not all folks selling Ms in NYC are shady.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:23 PM   #17
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebeck View Post
This is a tough place for any seller to be in-- if he keeps the chips, there are buyers who complain about the maintenance. If he paints the hood, he gets grief over the hood being repainted. Would be interested in taking a poll on the preference.

Seller should have said something, but the questions should be: 1) how bad was the initial damage?, 2) was the respray done by a certified or shop with great reputation? 3) how was the result? Again, dents and dings around here are more common-- paint work is repair and maintenance like everything else. It only matters if it was done poorly. Get the name of the shop that did the work. If the seller cared enough to get it done right, it could say a lot for the car's maintenance, in general. If the car was treated right, you'll be enjoying it trouble-free with a huge daily grin-- and the paint on your hood won't matter so much.

Sometimes personalities rub, but I wouldn't let that get in the way. Push for a mechanical check at a local BMW dealer or shop, and get the deal you want.

However it works out, I have no dog in this fight, other than to say not all folks selling Ms in NYC are shady.
Repainting a body panel of the car is not maintenance work. It actually decreases car value. Many buyers will turn away from a car that has any part of the car painted.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 10:33 PM   #18
ArthurL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT (E93)

Quote:
Hey guys,

If you don't mind, could you describe the car? I also dealt with a very shady seller in NYC recently. 08 E92 Black/Red 6MT and Navi from Staten Island. Car was horrible and the seller insisted he was the owner of the car.. technically he was but he was just a dealer trying to flip the car. I knew there was paint work done on the car but I asked him just to test him and he completely lied to my face.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 11:22 PM   #19
Honda
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurL View Post
If you don't mind, could you describe the car? I also dealt with a very shady seller in NYC recently. 08 E92 Black/Red 6MT and Navi from Staten Island. Car was horrible and the seller insisted he was the owner of the car.. technically he was but he was just a dealer trying to flip the car. I knew there was paint work done on the car but I asked him just to test him and he completely lied to my face.
That's one of the car I have seen
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2015, 11:43 PM   #20
ArthurL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT (E93)

Quote:
That's one of the car I have seen
Glad you walked away... That car was a mess.

I've never had someone try to sell me so hard on TVs in the headrests with a DVD player in the back....
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2015, 11:58 PM   #21
equ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Croc & toaster

I'm in NYC/NNJ and agree with the OP. Most cars have stories, but there are some good ones. Some in NJ, some in CT, almost none in the actual boroughs. Some of the 3rd party dealers in Brooklyn, Queens & North NJ are the pits, so they almost never get a visit from me. I only shop with my paint meter in hand and a skeptical but friendly attitude. I have, on occasion, helped a distance buyer out as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 06:39 AM   #22
GRUESOM3
Major
Rep
Drives: 3 NA cars and 1 Turbo car

You maybe ran into some bad cars that's all. I wouldn't call whole area shady. There are garage queens too, they are just not for sale
Appreciate 0