E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > What is wrong with my transmission? Please Help, anyone manual trans experts

08-25-2010, 10:32 AM   #23
bimmernoob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

First, I have done the CDV delete/remove and I recommend it. But with that said, I don't think it has anything to do with the problem of the OP (or the "new" OP).

The CDV effectively only affect the uptake of the clutch and not the application/down-press of the clutch. For the clunking problem, in my experience, it happens when the clutch is applied (abruptly) while the car is just transitioning into engine breaking.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #24
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernoob View Post
First, I have done the CDV delete/remove and I recommend it. But with that said, I don't think it has anything to do with the problem of the OP (or the "new" OP).

The CDV effectively only affect the uptake of the clutch and not the application/down-press of the clutch. For the clunking problem, in my experience, it happens when the clutch is applied (abruptly) while the car is just transitioning into engine breaking.
Spot on! I am only two months with my 330i manual and the first couple of times spent in slow traffic I noticed that I would get a nasty clunk through the drivetrain when pushing the clutch in. Primarily I would notice this in 1st and 2nd gears when crawling along and decided to push the clutch in to coast or change gear. Slowly I found that if I kept my foot on the throttle just a bit longer this could easily be avoided. The same goes for normal accelerating from a stop - and it does "help" with the next part of the gear change in terms of getting the revs up for the next gear - it seems as though these engines want to "return" to idle speed fairly quickly compared to other cars which tend to "hang" during gear changes, which is also annoying if you like quicker changes - then does the opposite and causes this clunk on clutch out...

And to add insult to injury, my other vehicle is an Isuzu turbo diesel pickup with a super sensitive throttle - so it's always an adjustment when going from the 330i to the Isuzu, but getting more use to it now.

The only way I can explain how I find this works for me with the 330i is it's almost like you have to keep the throttle partially depressed while pushing the clutch in, and then increase as needed for the gear change. Or slightly better you need to first press the clutch in and then take your foot off the throttle - timing has to be right though to prevent the engine from revving, it's just that fraction of a second that's necessary to smooth this out. And while I type this I can still say that I don't always get this a 100% correct, but it works - even managed to get my wife to get this right.

Other than that on the actual gear changes I have noticed that it can be fairly notchy especially when cold and in particular from 1st to 2nd. Then there is also the tendency to "hold" onto the gear and you have to either be a bit more firm or rather change gear a bit more slowly - once the engine and gearbox is at operating temperature it's fine though. My previous car and most other vehicles that I have driven are much the same when cold.

Philip
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 12:24 PM   #25
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31

It is dual-mass flywheel. You probably notice it more when you disengage the clutch very fast. When you learn to do it a bit smoother and slower you will not notice it anymore.
CDV delete will help to feel the clutch better (much better) and improve the smoothness of your shifts, won't help with notchiness.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 01:01 PM   #26
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Explain to me more about this CDV delete - apart from earlier in this thread I haven't heard of this before...
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 01:15 PM   #27
3Coupe4Me
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
Explain to me more about this CDV delete - apart from earlier in this thread I haven't heard of this before...
Here is a good writeup about the theory and fix behind the CDV on the BMW. http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2010, 01:31 PM   #28
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Coupe4Me View Post
Here is a good writeup about the theory and fix behind the CDV on the BMW. http://www.zeckhausen.com/cdv.htm
Thanks! Will give it a read.

Edit: Read through it and of course very interesting! Makes a lot of sense from what I have experienced - there is a certain numbness in the clutch action which I thought was me just not yet use to it. But I find that I can consistently "swap cogs" a lot quicker and smoother in my diesel powered Isuzu pickup than the 330i! Will have to investigate this further and see if there is someone locally who could do this...

Philip

Last edited by Three_thirty_I; 08-25-2010 at 01:56 PM..
Appreciate 0