E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Retrofiting non diesel rear bumper...

06-12-2014, 02:40 PM   #1
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Retrofiting non diesel rear bumper...

As the title states, I plan to buy an M-Sport replica rear bumper and have the body shop cut the hole for the lid.

Has anyone else done this? I called LTBMW and they said they are not able to do this, though I've read on the forums that someone had this done there, so maybe they realized it wasn't ideal and refuse to do it going forward.

Either way, my body shop painted a polyurethane M3 rep front bumper and within 8 months the paint started specking off, with the black plastic of the bumper showing underneath. I decided to get the Mtech front and rear to have them paint Polypropelyne (OEM Material) instead.

I know someone is thinking or going to say "Just order an OEM bumper", but the price difference is approximately $500 between OEM and rep, and I had the replica unit on my previous 335i and it was 10/10 fitment and quality. I couldn't believe what a nice unit it was for the money, I would've guessed it were OEM.

Any input, attempts from other members? I do have a separate post started about something similar to eliminate the need to cut into the bumper in general.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 09:59 PM   #2
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Not sure if it helps but I put a brand new OEM 335d M-Sport bumper on my car for about $580. Check our getbmwparts.com or shop around. If you know any shops that have a dealer account ask them to get a price. For that price it isn't even worth messing with in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

I just realized I was pricing out the "Performance" bumper and comparing that $950 shipped price tag to the $395 local M-Sport replica.

I'm probably just going to go the OEM route, though part of me would rather not have a DEF lid on my bumper at all considering my future mods to this car include ending DEF, EGR, among other things that the EPA would love to bash me on. I want my car to last, but I don't want to kill the environment, so I'm still trying to figure out a best-bet option for longevity within reality. All things said, I do appreciate the tidbit. $600 or so for the OEM part vs. $400 or so for non-OEM is no contest. OEM it is if it can be had in a decent amount of time.

My BMW Performance Suspension for the D took well over a month from overseas, which is approximately 3 years during the mod-bug virus
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
BB_cuda
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D Msport, 2013 X5D

if it were me, i would get the OEM M sport bumper with the proper hole and port cover. Reason would be for selling it you would have to consider putting all emissions equipment back. Blocking access to urea fill would be hard to get seller to agree to (unless they are oblivious and don't know about the need).

If you sell to some one who specifically wants to stay EGR/SCR/DPF turned off, then it is for straight forward. Even then, that type of buyer may still want to be able to convert back if they sell.

Summary, very little gained to buy gasser style OEM M sport bumper ( no disc in the quarter) vs lots of potential pain when need to sell.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
austinla335d
Captain
United_States
Rep

Update: Husker BMW in Nebraska (of all places!) has great prices.

My M-Sport Diesel rear bumper with diffusor, tow hook cover, and another random piece, $538. Shipping is $30-40, and at that price, I figured what the heck, why not get the OEM M-Sport side skirts as well! $900 shipped for all of it. My local BMW dealer priced me out at $1440 plus $138 in tax for the identical stuff, probably all from the same warehouse.

Considering the replica side skirts and rear bumper are $650 and the OEM stuff is $900, I think it would be extremely stupid to cover the Urea cover and deal with the hassle BB_cuda mentioned above for $250.

Plus, I'll have OEM, which is always a win in my book. I love buying OEM as long as the price is right.

Case Closed!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:19 PM   #6
diaz92376
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Im kind of late on this but you should have took that price to your local dealer. I did that and got mine for 480, they price matched. Could have saved the shipping if anything. Also make sure you change the urea tank lid also. I thought they were the same part for both but they weren't you need a different one.
Appreciate 0