Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #1
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Considering Dropping M4 Order for APR moded Audi/VW

I mean think about it for a second here guys... a brand new S5 with about 6k in mods from APR will be on par with the M4 from a performance perspective. I'm talking chip, intake, turbo upgrade and exhaust all the way up. That's about 20k in savings considering my M4 order is up to 84k right now with all the options. A fully loaded S5 is around 58k after haggle...

Thoughts? Can somebody talk me out of this?
      06-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspyrops View Post
I mean think about it for a second here guys... a brand new S5 with about 6k in mods from APR will be on par with the M4 from a performance perspective. I'm talking chip, intake, turbo upgrade and exhaust all the way up. That's about 20k in savings considering my M4 order is up to 84k right now with all the options. A fully loaded S5 is around 58k after haggle...

I can try to talk you out of this. Sure, with APR you can throw on their STG2+ tune, upgraded S/C pulley, exhaust, and intake, nd would HAVE to be running 100 Octane, but it still would probably lose to the M4 due to the significant difference in weight. (Not to mention the M4 would handle WAY better than the S5) Now consider that you could throw probably JUST DPs on the M4 and it would easily gain some good power for the money. When you think about turbo back exhaust alone, it would embarass the S5.

Now, if you just want some straight line speed and you don't track the car, then sure, the S5 value might be for you. The S/C and AWD may make the car feel stronger, but in reality, it wont be.

I think perhaps you are just being impatient like we all tend to get (which is why i looked at a 991, M5, and GTR all in the last week) and just want your car now. I went through the same phases waiting for my e92 and this will be no different.

My advice? Stay the course and wait. I don't think this will be one to miss. Thoughts?

EDIT: BTW- your M4 will be here about 2 weeks before mine.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 GT-R

Just bought a brand new S5 and am doing exactly that with APR (save for upgraded turbos) . I still think the M4 will be more of a driver's car and have more performance. I just like the looks of the Audi better than BMW's latest iterations. I will preface that by saying that I felt the same way about the E92 M3 but eventually came around on the looks. I'm also not willing to pay MSRP for anything and also not fond of first model year cars. Going to give the S5 a whirl for a year or two but woud not be surpirsed if I end up in an M4 in 2016.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 10:51 AM   #4
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Great Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
I can try to talk you out of this. Sure, with APR you can throw on their STG2+ tune, upgraded S/C pulley, exhaust, and intake, nd would HAVE to be running 100 Octane, but it still would probably lose to the M4 due to the significant difference in weight. (Not to mention the M4 would handle WAY better than the S5) Now consider that you could throw probably JUST DPs on the M4 and it would easily gain some good power for the money. When you think about turbo back exhaust alone, it would embarass the S5.

Now, if you just want some straight line speed and you don't track the car, then sure, the S5 value might be for you. The S/C and AWD may make the car feel stronger, but in reality, it wont be.

I think perhaps you are just being impatient like we all tend to get (which is why i looked at a 991, M5, and GTR all in the last week) and just want your car now. I went through the same phases waiting for my e92 and this will be no different.

My advice? Stay the course and wait. I don't think this will be one to miss. Thoughts?

EDIT: BTW- your M4 will be here about 2 weeks before mine.
Is it that obvious that I'm being an impatient little baby? I know. It's so sad. I was even thinking of getting a used S5 to save a little more money but at the end of the day here's what's stopping me from bailing on the M4: I'm going to have one pull up next to me while I'm sitting in my S5 and it is going to piss me off royally. It will be a knife twisting in my gut.

Now if I could only NOT go to the Audi dealership and let them talk me into it I will be fine. I need to stay away from there or I'm afraid I will pull the trigger... sigh...
      06-12-2014, 10:52 AM   #5
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alms21 View Post
Just bought a brand new S5 and am doing exactly that with APR (save for upgraded turbos) . I still think the M4 will be more of a driver's car and have more performance. I just like the looks of the Audi better than BMW's latest iterations. I will preface that by saying that I felt the same way about the E92 M3 but eventually came around on the looks. I'm also not willing to pay MSRP for anything and also not fond of first model year cars. Going to give the S5 a whirl for a year or two but woud not be surpirsed if I end up in an M4 in 2016.
No offense but how do you go from a '10 GTR to an S5? Major downgrade on all levels...
      06-12-2014, 11:11 AM   #6
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is it that obvious that I'm being an impatient little baby? I know. It's so sad. I was even thinking of getting a used S5 to save a little more money but at the end of the day here's what's stopping me from bailing on the M4: I'm going to have one pull up next to me while I'm sitting in my S5 and it is going to piss me off royally. It will be a knife twisting in my gut.

Now if I could only NOT go to the Audi dealership and let them talk me into it I will be fine. I need to stay away from there or I'm afraid I will pull the trigger... sigh...
Stay away from the dealer. Consider this, the S5 isn't even the flagship coupe. I can tell you that there are WAYYYYY more S5s here where I live in comparison with E92 M3s even, and plenty of RS5s that make the S5 look amateur. You're roughly a month away from having something special. If it sucks after you get it, sell and get the S5 to save and still get your fix. You will be completely pissed when you see someone ele with theirs. You're just going through a phase. We all do. Wait and be patient and I bet you won't regret it.

Quote:
No offense but how do you go from a '10 GTR to an S5? Major downgrade on all levels...
Depends on what you're looking for. Maybe hes saving for a house, an upgrade of some sort, a new baby, or a girlfriend/wife who spends too much, lol. Plus, the GTR is not all it's cracked up to be. I just drove a '13 the other day and was very impressed with the performance and the handling, but it was loud in the cabin, it was clunky, it was unrefined, and just didn't do it for me. Sure, my E92 was really loud, but it was super comfortable and felt smooth and buttery. The GTR was exactly what it is: a niche purpose built car. I'd love to own one, but it would have to be in addition to something like the M4.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:15 AM   #7
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
I'm in production (status 150) so I know the delays are over, it's literally a matter of weeks before my delivery, maybe 5 to 7 at most. Driving my wife's old beat up '08 RAV4 to work is driving me BONKERS!!!

Patience boy... patience... <pant> <pant> <pant>
      06-12-2014, 11:32 AM   #8
LwaLt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EVOX,M4,X2, Model X, Model 3P+

to make things worse, the stingray is pretty dope. just sayin...
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 11:55 AM   #9
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm in production (status 150) so I know the delays are over, it's literally a matter of weeks before my delivery, maybe 5 to 7 at most. Driving my wife's old beat up '08 RAV4 to work is driving me BONKERS!!!

Patience boy... patience... <pant> <pant> <pant>
I'm 112 due to go to 150 in about 10 days or so. hopefully the beginning of the week. Be patient. You're going to be fine. Just suck it up a little longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LwaLt View Post
to make things worse, the stingray is pretty dope. just sayin...
Stingray is dope, but definitely a completely different vehicle. My buddy has a Red/Red and it looks seriously mean. But not for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #10
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First off, you can't possibly offend me by talking about cars. I don't get that wrapped up in it. I sold the GTR in March for a potential real estate investment that never materialzed (was going to downsize from current house to something smaller and wanted to free up cash to buy a building lot). The GTR is a helluva car but not something I would have kept much longer anyway. It's noisy, unrefined and a dick magnet. The S5 with APR tune will be more than sufficient from a performance standpoint for a daily driver...... and is much more shall I say "mature", better looking and built much better than a GTR. Not saying its overall a better car..........its a better car for me.

Now that I have satisfied the "bug" to own a GTR for a period of time, I'd much rather have an M3/M4 over the GTR. I'd take a 991S over the GTR as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
First off, you can't possibly offend me by talking about cars.
GOOD!

Quote:
I don't get that wrapped up in it. I sold the GTR in March for a potential real estate investment that never materialzed (was going to downsize from current house to something smaller and wanted to free up cash to buy a building lot).
heehee the other guy was right!

Quote:
The GTR is a helluva car but not something I would have kept much longer anyway. It's noisy, unrefined and a dick magnet. The S5 with APR tune will be more than sufficient from a performance standpoint for a daily driver...... and is much more shall I say "mature", better looking and built much better than a GTR. Not saying its overall a better car..........its a better car for me.
Agreed 100%

Quote:
Now that I have satisfied the "bug" to own a GTR for a period of time, I'd much rather have an M3/M4 over the GTR. I'd take a 991S over the GTR as well.
You mean you'd rather have an S5 rather than a GTR right? If you'd rather have an M4 you wuda waited for it!!!
      06-12-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:

I say do it. Just so you can realize what a silly thought this is. RS5 is can't compete with M4, what makes you think an S5 with a chip (there goes warranty) can do better?

Just silly.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 12:45 PM   #13
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM3 View Post
I say do it. Just so you can realize what a silly thought this is. RS5 is can't compete with M4, what makes you think an S5 with a chip (there goes warranty) can do better?

Just silly.
1) It's not only a chip.

2) It will be silly, very silly, agree and so that's why I'm not going to do it.

3) The RS5 slightly slower than the M4.
      06-12-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
alms21
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
GOOD!

heehee the other guy was right!

Agreed 100%

You mean you'd rather have an S5 rather than a GTR right? If you'd rather have an M4 you wuda waited for it!!!
I would rather have the S5 over the GTR and the M4 at this point. But like I said, the M4 hood and general aesthetics may grow on me over time to the point where I pick one up......just want the first year bugs ironed out prior to buying one.

In any event, it sounds like the M4 is really what you want. I'd wait for that baby if I were you. It will be here before you know it Enjoy the hell out of it when you get it!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 01:32 PM   #15
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Quote:
I would rather have the S5 over the GTR and the M4 at this point. But like I said, the M4 hood and general aesthetics may grow on me over time to the point where I pick one up......just want the first year bugs ironed out prior to buying one.

In any event, it sounds like the M4 is really what you want. I'd wait for that baby if I were you. It will be here before you know it Enjoy the hell out of it when you get it!
You bet your tuned out Audi S5 I will!!!!!!!!!!
      06-12-2014, 02:14 PM   #16
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

one thing i have learned about cars is this. you can take many cheaper cars and make them faster than more expensive cars.

there is a certain feeling when you have the "big boy model" instead of tuning a cheaper model to match or be fast than it.

the problem with me putting in put into this thread is that i dont like the M4 or would really want a non RS Audi. So i cant give direct input.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2014, 03:40 PM   #17
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
DEFINITELY NOT considering the swap anymore

So I emailed APR and guess what? All their upgrades at $5k only get me from 333HP to 388HP on an S5. NOT worth it when you consider the torque increase is minimal as well, and way below my new baby's.

LONG LIVE BMW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      06-14-2014, 12:12 AM   #18
m3ct
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition xDrive Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sspyrops
So I emailed APR and guess what? All their upgrades at $5k only get me from 333HP to 388HP on an S5. NOT worth it when you consider the torque increase is minimal as well, and way below my new baby's.

I have an Audi s4, it's nice but the m3 will be an entirely different beast!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 01:07 AM   #19
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

You should have known better OP. The consideration was risible. Glad you came back to basics.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 02:26 AM   #20
M6-Coupe
Major General
Rep
Drives: F92 M8

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
Stay away from the dealer
It's so funny Since I have heard several times from different Audi's sales person the same thing: Get an S5 and tune it and beat M4.... seriously I think they are purposely trained to say thing like this to attract Customers. They introduce S5 as M4's competitor and consider RS5 something "Exclusive" with no competitor ...
Gone : 2013 F13 Sakhir Orange M6 -7DCT
Gone: 2013 F13 Alpine White 650i -ZF8
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 09:47 AM   #21
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:

Lol quite the funny thread. If I were in your shoes I would get the M4. But IMHO, having two Audi's now and having owned many M cars in the past, I don't think anyone can truthfully say that one company is better than the other. I would never trade my R8 for any car BMW makes and after much seat time and thinking we picked the A6 3.0T over the 535. Definitely wait for the M4 and enjoy, though a S5 or RS5 are superb as well. RS5 will definitely have stronger resale value than the M3/M4, simply due to limited production numbers.
2022 992 GTS| 7MT | Shark Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #22
SteveSpy
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Going to test drive the C63

I'm getting ready to go to my local MB dealership to test drive the C63 AMG in a few minutes. I'll be adding another update to this post in a few hours with my findings and my decision. Stay tuned and keep tuning